Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A safety question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Unfortunately, I have experience here, so highly recommend properly mounted ultrashield road race super seat. It might be called a new name now. Our own Redlineman turned me on to it a decade ago. It is custom made and is not a halo seat but a full containment seat. Yup there is a difference. Interestingly, one of my shunts ended with damage almost exactly like a friend just did except mine was a bit worse bending more of the car a bit further up. Both were rear offset impacts where seat support is very important. My friend, younger and tougher than myself had quite a headache but no other injury. Was it the difference in seats? Maybe. He had a typical FIA legal Sparco. Twice now, one being a rollover, my custom seat saved me with zero injury.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Old 07-25-2013, 04:18 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 328 Posts

there was mention of height/belt angle issue with certain Halo seats. Can someone please elaborate on the issue?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:01 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ wrong hole geometry and belt angle results in a downward vector on the shoulders which can cause a vertebral compression fracture
Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Or maybe use this instead of a HANS?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...straint-device
Originally Posted by pontifex4
I wear a Hybrid and don't currently have a halo seat. It is certainly harder to get belted in with, but I've learned to live with it. As to whether it's actually better? Honestly, I hope never to find out.
The Simpson/Safety Solutions Hybrid devices seem like a no brainer when HALO seats aren't an option. I almost never see them at the track, though. Am I missing something here?

Here's an video of a side hit that shows how much the head can move w/o any protection https://rennlist.com/forums/10509922-post2.html
Old 07-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
^ wrong hole geometry and belt angle results in a downward vector on the shoulders which can cause a vertebral compression fracture
Yep this is my biggest gripe with the SPG seats, why they didn't use the holes found on the SPG XL I don't know. But belt the angle is a little close to the minimum for comfort. Better now with my cage vs. the DAS I had previously at least.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I interesting thread

I have a halo seat and no center net, have been debating installing one, I probably will before Watkins Glen in sept
Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Pferrf1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The trouble with Halo seats is that many I have seen were not sized correctly and the result is that the driver is wearing blinders! They need to be the right height! I wonder how much of a nuisance they'd be in a car I drive to the track.
These don't help with driving to the track but the Kirkey seats have adjustable height halos in a full containment seat. (Seat shown without its seat cover)

http://www.jegs.com/i/Kirkey/570/459...ductId=1647162
Old 07-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
The Simpson/Safety Solutions Hybrid devices seem like a no brainer when HALO seats aren't an option. I almost never see them at the track, though. Am I missing something here?

Here's an video of a side hit that shows how much the head can move w/o any protection https://rennlist.com/forums/10509922-post2.html
That video kinda speaks to my question kicking off this thread. Yes his head moved, so did his body - which probably prevented a broken neck.

Regards,
Old 07-25-2013, 09:59 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
I'm not sure. Mine is the only one I've ever seen. I have the carbon one with quick releases. The appeal for me was mainly that it could work properly with more belts and seats -- it doesn't require the bump back that a HANS does because the device sits lower and clears the lower edge of the back of the helmet, so your head isn't pushed forward the way it is with a HANS in a non-HANS seat. It also is supposedly fine for both 2" and 3" shoulder harness, and obviously is designed to give some measure more side-load protection without a halo seat. As much as a true halo seat? Probably not.

I'm not endorsing it -- in fact, I do find it a bit cumbersome to use. My 3" shoulder harness tends to interfere with the dual tethers that connect to my helmet as I'm putting it on, and getting the bottom rings through the lap belt tabs while belting up without really being able to tilt my head down is tough. But I've learned to give myself a bit more time to belt in, and it's otherwise fine.

It's very quick to get out of the car with it, as well.

Originally Posted by Pferrf1
These don't help with driving to the track but the Kirkey seats have adjustable height halos in a full containment seat. (Seat shown without its seat cover)

http://www.jegs.com/i/Kirkey/570/459...ductId=1647162
Paul, it may be that the Kirkey seat I mentioned earlier was that one, rather than one with removable wings.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

In a race car I would only use a halo seat. We use a Recaro Pro Racer Hans. With it I see no purpose of a passenger side net. In a dual purpose car I would seriously consider the Simpsons Hybrid or a seat with removable wings.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 776 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by comatb
In a race car I would only use a halo seat. We use a Recaro Pro Racer Hans. With it I see no purpose of a passenger side net. In a dual purpose car I would seriously consider the Simpsons Hybrid or a seat with removable wings.
Dr. Melvin, who does the research for Indycar, NASCAR, NHRA, F1, and many other series will tell you that your head can make it outside the halo. He has video of lots of incidents where the drivers head makes it outside the halo and is guided back in by the center net.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:36 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Matt do you have any links to these videos?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The trouble with Halo seats is that many I have seen were not sized correctly and the result is that the driver is wearing blinders! They need to be the right height!
Can you expand on this, please? Were the incorrect halos placed too high or too low? What's the "correct" height for a halo? What about the correct/proper width (distance from helmet on each side)?

Btw, thanks for starting this thread.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Dr. Melvin, who does the research for Indycar, NASCAR, NHRA, F1, and many other series will tell you that your head can make it outside the halo. He has video of lots of incidents where the drivers head makes it outside the halo and is guided back in by the center net.
Matt, I too would like to see these videos. I simply can not imagine how the head would escape from a halo and a strapped body only to be "saved" by a net so far away.

Quick Reply: A safety question