A safety question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts
Default A safety question

A few weeks back there was a fatal accident at my home track. A 997 GT3, harness roll bar and hans. Car hit hard on the passenger side. Driver died of a broken neck.

This got me to thinking - it seems likely that a halo seat might have saved his life. Had he hit drivers side, the airbag might have saved him.

Here's the question, without a halo seat and net, wouold he have been more likely to survive had he been wearing the OEM three point belt? It would have allowed more body movement than his 6 pt harness. The body movement towards the impact would lessen the force on his neck. Might this have given him a chance? As things were he died instantly.

Note I am asking from a safety standpoint in a car equipped for front and side airbags. I know about the advantages of wearing a harness, but I am looking only at the case of a hard passenger side impact.

Thanks,
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a passenger side impact in a Neon (seat, cage, harness), without a side net, and at moderately low speed since Neons have a top of like 10. Look at that head movement!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Bob, this was a scenario similar to the Adam Petty, Dale Earnhardt, Allan Simonsen accident, where hyper extension of the neck brought about by a side impact caused the fatality.

I don't know the specifics of the July 6th incident, Vince was even more brusque than usual when I inquired, but your supposition that if the body were held firm by the harness and the head movement was not limited by a halo seat, a center net or some other SFI 38.1 head and neck restraint, that the hyper extension would be MORE likely, sounds plausible to me.

I think that the idea of a three point reducing the accelerative (or more accurately, decelerative) forces on the basilar skull area would be correct, but I'm no doctor. I just have done a fair bit of accident forensics in sports cars. YMMV.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

IMvHO, odds are he would have survived, bruised and very sore, but alive.

I installed a halo seat in the car this year for this very reason. I was at Road Atlanta last fall when the incident with the Corvette occurred.

It's incredible that a HANS provides so little lateral support. Seems to me that there should be a way to improve this (lateral tethers?), but then, if racers all have halos and nets, there is probably no need for a better mouse trap.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:38 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Bob
I am glad you initiated this conversation. I was at Tremblant the day after the fatality and to say I was shocked is an understatement.
I don't have enough knowledge to comment on your question, but from what I recall about the 3-points, they are designed to allow a twisting motion of the body, which may well have absorbed some of the force that led to the broken neck.
I don't know the victim or his family but am deeply saddened by their loss. The only other DE fatalities (or even severe injuries) I have heard of were caused by a preceding medical event.
BTW - I was going to install a halo seat in my car but got talked out of it; I have instead installed a cent and window net.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or maybe use this instead of a HANS?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...straint-device
Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Or maybe use this instead of a HANS?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...straint-device
I wear a Hybrid and don't currently have a halo seat. It is certainly harder to get belted in with, but I've learned to live with it. As to whether it's actually better? Honestly, I hope never to find out.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw this car on a flat bed a few days after the crash. VERY hard hit that looked to be flush on the pass side. Seriously considering a halo seat.

Can a center net and window net provide the same level of protection as a halo? Seems like the window net is too far from the head to do much.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
BTW - I was going to install a halo seat in my car but got talked out of it
I would be curious to know what the arguments were, if you don't mind sharing.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
I would be curious to know what the arguments were, if you don't mind sharing.
Gladly, though I am still not convinced.
Mostly because they are difficult to exit from (in a crash).
But wearing my risk management hat, I'd rather be safe in a crash with a slower exit than less safe but easier to exit. Either would suck
Old 07-24-2013, 05:40 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I recently had a passenger side impact with the tires at Mid-Ohio. Not flush, hit right front quarter, then door, then right rear quarter. I have a halo seat and I have watched the video several times in slow-mo/frame-by-frame. I was happy (relative term) to see my head just "rattle" a half inch between the halo uprights and no further. I was surprised to see my head move upwards out of the seat, though, but I guess the energy has to go somewhere and I assume this was belt stretch. In any case, I will always have a halo seat after seeing that video.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

The trouble with Halo seats is that many I have seen were not sized correctly and the result is that the driver is wearing blinders! They need to be the right height! I wonder how much of a nuisance they'd be in a car I drive to the track.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The trouble with Halo seats is that many I have seen were not sized correctly and the result is that the driver is wearing blinders! They need to be the right height! I wonder how much of a nuisance they'd be in a car I drive to the track.
Probably a good time to mention that a few companies have halo seats with removable wings. Kirkey and Sparco are two that I'm aware of. Cobra makes one with hoops.

You raise a great point about height, though: in my experience, virtually anyone who is using a HANS with a Recaro seat with a small shoulder belt opening (Profi, Pole Position, etc) has a dangerous shoulder belt angle issue. The openings are quite low.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Bob, look up Sparco Ergo seat with removable halos.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Bob- My last car was street legal and I drove it around from time to time. If you trust your mirrors (as on track), the halo seat is not a problem. For those that need the extra confidence provided by a peripheral peak back to the quarter panels, a halo seat will be unnerving.

I will not race a car that does not have a halo seat. A side benefit is that in an enduro it's nice to occationally let the halo hold your head in place through a long sweeper.

Quick Reply: A safety question