Sponsored by:

Heinlein Racing Development #05 WC Cayman at PCA Arca

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heinlein Racing Development #05 WC Cayman at PCA Arca

here were some fast laps for the 2011 HRD Cayman S, running in GTB1 spec. wanted to get some more seat time in the car bfeore possible Midohio next week with World Challenge. We'll be prepping the car Monday Tuesday and then hopefully off to MidOhio for the WC/Indy car weekend starting thursday t&T, friday practices, and sat and sunday racing. I didnt want to maul the car too badly nor risk wrecks, so after shaking the car down, setting some fast laps, a class record, i bolted for dinner with the family and a weekend of training on the road bike.

car was not great session one. not horrible but i couldnt get the car to turn in and it wanted to sail everywhere. Tiv from Heinlein Racing, my support shop, changed a bunch of stuff. we took out some rebound to keep the car planted, we had some low speed compression added, and we tried a toe change we hadnt tried before. wow did the car come alive. i was ble to turn in with power, and get right back to power without the car sailing.
those changes were worth 1.5 seconds punching out a 1.25.08for a class record. they were sketchy and pretty risky. i sailed off trying to get into the 24s and ripped off the plastic undertray, thats when i realized i had hit the limits of, me.

was lots of fun. we were talking blipping on that other njmp thread. i had to modify the rennline pedals a bit because at Lime rock where the car took a pair of 6th places in the two World Challenge races, the braking was much less. here, the braking was way heavier and i was struggling to get a nice smooth blip. we're going to move the seat back a bit since my ankle angle is a bit wierd with my seat so far up. wc requires no sliders, bolted to the floor and a seat back brace, none of which were easy to tweak and there was so little time between sessions ....anyway, here you go.
https://vimeo.com/71213684

Old 07-28-2013, 07:59 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hated missing this event, as I was out east on the Island.
At least I got some good mileage on my bike.
Love to ride with you sometime, Steve.
Lots to talk about, I'm sure.
Awesome footage, by the way.
Love your car.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:14 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow......Impressive speed in every section.

Are you double apexing the octopuss? Might be an optical illusion but your line seems consistently different than when you drive it with your Cup.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:36 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Wow......Impressive speed in every section.

Are you double apexing the octopuss? Might be an optical illusion but your line seems consistently different than when you drive it with your Cup.
entry to octopus and to the finish line is huge. octopus is huge. I think on a 1:25 lap, some 20seconds is entry to octo to the line.

that double apex was accidental. that was the issue we were suffering that initial turn in, bite. I try to get on top of that right hand curbing entering the octopus, let the curb rotate it, come off the curb and punch the throttle to zing the car into the left hang long arching section of the octopus, and try to get on the inside left curb the whole way around, but she wouldn't turn, so I just trailed in a bit longer than I wanted, and rotated with power and zinged out. overall, hard to say if it was faster. but I recall seeing like 1:24.7s on my forecasted lap entering the octo and then faded those 2, 3/10ths if you believe that forecasted lap to that degree, which I don't.

we just couldn't get the slow speed turn where we wanted in the two lefthanders, that being one of them. but it was 100X better than first session.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Nice driving, Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
octopuss
Freudian slip?

Nice wheelin Steve
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. Manual gear box !! Awesome run.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I must have had something else on my mind.

Quick Reply: Heinlein Racing Development #05 WC Cayman at PCA Arca