Sponsored by:

Andy Lally advanced driving clinic

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
I've met a lot of good Pros and Andy Lally is one of the best of the best, in all aspects. Wish I could have made it!

-mike
+2, Mike!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Damn, what a fantastic event! Thanks to all who participated as registrants & coaches. Today, Andy may have been the hardest working person I have ever seen at the track. 25 at-the-limit rides in 20 different cars...

We may do more of these events...in Texas and elsewhere. Stay tuned, and please let me know where y'all would like to see this type of event,
Old 11-10-2013, 10:43 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

It was one of the most useful learning experiences I've ever been a part of. Andy handily bested all of us in our own cars, by at least a couple seconds, and then spent time 1x1 suggesting ways to set the car up better. The discussions that followed when looking at data and video comparing our own best times side by side with Lally's hottest lap were really interesting, as were the efforts to interpret and then implement. Track walk was excellent, and the stories at diner were a good window into Andy's life. Overall it vastly exceeded what what I expected it could be. Andy was humble and very friendly - and MAN, he worked hard non stop for 5-6 hours each day. Mike and Dave, great job, and thanks for letting me be part of it!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 11-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great event, the time with Andy was great but only a small part of the true value of an event of this type. With 16 hours of track time there was plenty of time to run hard at a couple of corners, set goals to modify the lift and brake zones and then go back to the trailer and analyze the data making sure that what the mind is telling me actually occurred.

Andy was a gentleman that took the time to speak to each participant as if we were equals on a team. And with all the great coaching I was able to make real progress dropping my time in the SPB to sub 2:00 at TWS. Thanks to all that made this happen, and especially to my Coach Edwin for the weekend. Despite having three students he made it seem as if he was my own personal coach all weekend. At the end we played lead and follow and I was actually able to pretty much keep up.

Again thanks to Edwin,Mike, Dave! TWS and of course Andy. Really interesting to see how Andy evaluated the track on our walk.

Sign me up for the next event.

Last edited by Vonschmidt; 11-11-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Spelling and clearer thoughts
Old 11-11-2013, 02:53 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excited to see some vids of andy mastering TWS
Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Great event, the time with Andy was great but only a small part of the true value of an event of this type. With 16 hours of track time there was plenty of time tor un hard at a couple of corners set goals to modify the lift and brake zones and then go back and look at data and make sure what the mind is telling me actually occurred. And with all the great coaching I was able to make real progress dropping my time in the SPB to sub 2:00 at TWS. Thanks to all that made this happen, and especially to my Coach for the weekend.
Excellent, Charles, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:28 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

One of my challenges in driving has been to get myself to unstick the car and let it slide around. It was amazing watching and feeling just how much Andy slid the car around, perfectly under control, and the car was perfectly content with it. I was also surprised at the amount of wheel input he uses - he used a lot with my car.

Watching Andy and the relative lack of traffic* gave me the confidence to be more aggressive and I finally got rid of that sinking feeling in my stomach whenever I would feel the car slide. I was able to turn a new personal best as well at 2:04, and that was before West Dillard got in the car with me. West and I had a session that felt fast, that may even be better.

Andy is very down to earth and was great to hang out with. The dinner talk was fascinating as was watching him on the track.

Awesome, awesome weekend. Thanks to Dave and the people who put this on and volunteered. Also thanks to Doug Carol for the data and the use of his vehicle for my parts run back to Houston Saturday that saved my Sunday.

*WRT to traffic, one had to be very on top of their mirrors. Holy closing speed Batman! I've got video of him entering the carousel behind me as I'm exiting 11 and he got to me *before* T12. I think I also have video of him passing me low in T1 and eating a friend's 911 for lunch in T2 :-).

-Mike
Old 11-11-2013, 10:11 AM
TXE36
Drifting

This is the first session Saturday morning. I don't know how much time Andy had on the track Friday, but this is stone cold track and stone cold car. Andy wasted no time. The first hot lap was 2:02 and he finished with 2:01s. Incredible experience. The only time the car wasn't sideways was on the straights.

This is a stock 1999 BMW E36 with a PSS9 suspension, Nitto NT05 street tires, PFC01 brakes in stock calipers. Best I've ever driven it is a 2:04 and change, and I've been driving TWS and this car for 4 years.

-Mike
Old 11-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Andy Lally GT3 RS TWS

Andy driving GT3RS early on day 1

Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Great videos guys. I'm working on putting one together from my car. Two words summarize the experience of riding with Andy for me. Entry Speed. He is so fast from turn-in to apex, that he is I think typically later than we are getting to full throttle because of the speed he carries in. Fantastic to watch him work the car.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
Andy driving GT3RS early on day 1

http://youtu.be/ENjTkJlvMGs
"That's gotta be the fastest I've gone with a effin shoulder belt in years." Love it!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:34 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

His exit speeds were not much different, but his speed through the corner was immense. He described it as filling in the corners - time all of us typically throw away while we are braking, setting up, then accelerating at apex out of the corner. He is working the car hard through the corner. If you see the data, the "V" in the velocity chart has a much higher/lumpy trough compared what I typically see.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
"That's gotta be the fastest I've gone with a effin shoulder belt in years." Love it!
Yeah...he talked about that afterwards. All of us have been piling on Tim to "get some six points and a roll bar"
Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yeah...he talked about that afterwards. All of us have been piling on Tim to "get some six points and a roll bar"
+1

I'll add to the pile. I was surprised to see the three points in that car.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Andy Lally advanced driving clinic