Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballpark Cost of a weekend in a Conti ST car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Video wasn't working, Anyway, probably one of the reasons why I paid 8k vs. 12k.

However, I did record Speed channel and it does show the 24 Bimmer taking out the stang.
You took out the wrong one. Should have been the one who ruined qualifying with his antics in the busstop...
Old 09-26-2013, 02:24 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
You took out the wrong one. Should have been the one who ruined qualifying with his antics in the busstop...
Ha. Yeah or the one that spun me in T1 with a ridiculous move. (but who am I to talk)

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-26-2013, 02:40 PM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow RSA
Mo, Honda may be looking for a young hunk of a receptionist like yourself. Get the job and give the boys at HART a call!
Haha I don't know if they can pay me enough to afford a seat, unless the seat is free then I'll gladly answer phones and stand around looking pretty.

Cory thanks for all the info. I will be contacting you soon to see what my options with autometrics are. I'd love to stay in a Porsche if possible. I also have been on the track with you recently and can already appreciate your skill set. I was in the green G patron 964 that was dicing it out Labor Day a bit with Jimmy Martin. You came around and got Doug Crossman and I.

Will you guys be building a new boxster if the rules allow?
Old 09-26-2013, 04:07 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting discussion. I like watching this stuff on TV, it's readily evident that these guys drive really hard. Too bad it has to be so expensive, just way out of reach for most of us, I'm just grateful I get to race at all.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

let me add one more point. i cant speak too accurately about the very specifics o f another's business, but i can speak as a guy who was a driver only, then driver/team owner/shop owner, and not just a driver. in my estimation, teams like Autometrics, ZSA, DeMan, etc. the other 'smaller' Rolex/WC/ teams at these pro races..when they charge that 15k$ a seat....or they ask you to pay $X /day for a club race.....they arent making millions. there is so little meat on the bones, its scarey.
its not just the case with pro weekends, but also pca club races, track days, test and tunes.

sometimes we as drivers sit there and look at like "$1200/day for support? what the heck could cost so much.?they must be making a ton".

ive sat on both side sof the table... and can definitely say how little can be made relative to how hard it is to make it.

a guy goes to a 3 day weekend gets charged $1200, 1500/day for support. its not just the 1 or 2 guys covering your car for the couple of days, but:
1. the day or more loading the trailer to lug your stuff there;
2. the hours and hours of preparing, talking to the crew, arranging, making flights, making hotel arranges, car service. its a day of prep atleast.
2. the day or so lost loading the trailer and preparing.
3. the haul down. fuel, wear tear on the rigs;
4. cost of flights down; food during transit.
5. opportunity costs while the entire shop is away at the races;
6. arriving maybe 3pm that day before test and tune, preparing the awning getting the cars fueled and ready.
7. food and hotels all throughout
8. working from 7am to 11pm at night ; this to me is the most brutal part. it was maybe th emost difficult part for me as a team owner. almost always at the track i bring my bike and get in invalueable training, logging miles on the rural roads your find near most of the these tracks. i get back around 8, quick shower and hit the drivers' meeting. the crew though is up at 5, at the track at 6, 630, and they are working like dogs all day in the heat, lugging, schlepping, on their back, dealing with headaches, nonesense, bad parts, wrecked pieces. when the day is over, one by one the cars go on the alignment rack and maybe if the are lucky they swallow some steak around 8,9pm at night. if someone has wrecked or needs a motor change, they'll be doing it all night or late into the night. yeah its the life they've chosen and they love it.

i say this as nicely as i can. sometimes us "drivers" tend to be guys who have a bit more disposable income, we're the ones buying the $2500 tire sets, $1000s in fuel, flights, hotel rooms. we're driving the 150k caymans and having the big fun. yet sometimes we begrudge or take issue that someone would charge $1000day to give us a grea ttime, vs 750. or we second guess that it took 5 hours to prepare the car for a big fun weekend vs what , somehow in our novice heads, we believe shoudl have been 4 hours.

some wallstreet guy is psyched that his business model generated a massive profit of tens of thousands.. the doctors are enjoying their surgerys or patients before heading to the golf range or the race track.... Race shops aint making millions. the best might make good money and have great operations and great equipment. but there aint no millions (maybe other than the race big big pro team that has some crazy coot billionaire seth nieman customer)....race shop owner guys want to make payroll, have a wonderful time at the track, pocket a a few grand for having a whole crew away for 5,6days.

not sure exactly my point, but i guess its that ALL of car racing, is expensive. some is more affordable. but if guys charge $20000 for an ST seat, my guess is that for having an entire team away from the shop for 5,6 days, the owner of the shop might make a grand or two or three. they could probably have made the same 2,3,4grand having their five staff stay in the warehouse working on cars all day for well like 1 day.

its expensive because of the costs, not because of any kind of massive profit. noone's paying for a kids' college tuitiion base don your $25000 rental of an ST seat.

just my two cents.

Last edited by spg993tt; 09-27-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

^^ good post
Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ brilliant
Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Video wasn't working, Anyway, probably one of the reasons why I paid 8k vs. 12k.

However, I did record Speed channel and it does show the 24 Bimmer taking out the stang. Not my best drive. I will see if I can transfer the vid to something uploadable. (Is that a word?)

You guys might recognize my co-driver, Cory Friedman. Unfortunately, I did not hand him over a car worthy of driving when I came into the pits. Too bad also, I was as high as 6th place at the time and Cory was running at least top 5 with his times. If anyone is ever considering a drive with Autometrics in Grand AM, Cory is top-notch and a true pro. He is always fast and has incredible racecraft.
We still had a good time that weekend! Hopefully we will have a chance to do it again sometime in the future.

Originally Posted by MoD
Haha I don't know if they can pay me enough to afford a seat, unless the seat is free then I'll gladly answer phones and stand around looking pretty.

Cory thanks for all the info. I will be contacting you soon to see what my options with autometrics are. I'd love to stay in a Porsche if possible. I also have been on the track with you recently and can already appreciate your skill set. I was in the green G patron 964 that was dicing it out Labor Day a bit with Jimmy Martin. You came around and got Doug Crossman and I.

Will you guys be building a new boxster if the rules allow?
You were running strong at Rd America. It was fun watching you guys run in sprint 1. We have made the request to Grand-Am to allow a 2.9l Cayman for next year. I'm not sure what they plan on doing with the series though. They are talking about rule changes to slow the entire field down. They say speeds and cost have gone too high and it is very difficult for new cars to be competitive. It is kind of nuts though when a 2.06 at Daytona is a competitive ST time. That was a good lap for GS a few years ago.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SG-ZSAMotorsport
let me add one more point. i cant speak too accurately about the very specifics o f another's business, but i can speak as a guy who was a driver only, then driver/team owner/shop owner, and not just a driver. in my estimation, teams like Autometrics, ZSA, DeMan, etc. the other 'smaller' Rolex/WC/ teams at these pro races..when they charge that 15k$ a seat....or they ask you to pay $X /day for a club race.....they arent making millions. there is so little meat on the bones, its scarey.
its not just the case with pro weekends, but also pca club races, track days, test and tunes.

sometimes we as drivers sit there and look at like "$1200/day for support? what the heck could cost so much.?they must be making a ton".

ive sat on both side sof the table... and can definitely say how little can be made relative to how hard it is to make it.

a guy goes to a 3 day weekend gets charged $1200, 1500/day for support. its not just the 1 or 2 guys covering your car for the couple of days, but:
2. the hours and hours of preparing, talking to the crew, arranging, making flights, making hotel arranges, car service. its a day of prep atleast.
6. arriving maybe 3pm that day before test and tune, preparing the awning getting the cars fueled and ready.
8. working from 7am to 11pm at night ; this to me is the most brutal part. it was maybe th emost difficult part for me as a team owner. almost always at the track i bring my bike and get in invalueable training, logging miles on the rural roads your find near most of the these tracks. i get back around 8, quick shower and hit the drivers' meeting. the crew though is up at 5, at the track at 6, 630, and they are working like dogs all day in the heat, lugging, schlepping, on their back, dealing with headaches, nonesense, bad parts, wrecked pieces. when the day is over, one by one the cars go on the alignment rack and maybe if the are lucky they swallow some steak around 8,9pm at night. if someone has wrecked or needs a motor change, they'll be doing it all night or late into the night. yeah its the life they've chosen and they love it.

i say this as nicely as i can. sometimes us "drivers" tend to be guys who have a bit more disposable income, we're the ones buying the $2500 tire sets, $1000s in fuel, flights, hotel rooms. we're driving the 150k caymans and having the big fun. yet sometimes we begrudge or take issue that someone would charge $1000day to give us a grea ttime, vs 750. or we second guess that it took 5 hours to prepare the car for a big fun weekend vs what , somehow in our novice heads, we believe shoudl have been 4 hours.

some wallstreet guy is psyched that his business model generated a massive profit of tens of thousands.. the doctors are enjoying their surgerys or patients before heading to the golf range or the race track.... Race shops aint making millions. the best might make good money and have great operations and great equipment. but there aint no millions (maybe other than the race big big pro team that has some crazy coot billionaire seth nieman customer)....race shop owner guys want to make payroll, have a wonderful time at the track, pocket a a few grand for having a whole crew away for 5,6days.

not sure exactly my point, but i guess its that ALL of car racing, is expensive. some is more affordable. but if guys charge $20000 for an ST seat, my guess is that for having an entire team away from the shop for 5,6 days, the owner of the shop might make a grand or two or three. they could probably have made the same 2,3,4grand having their five staff stay in the warehouse working on cars all day for well like 1 day.

its expensive because of the costs, not because of any kind of massive profit. noone's paying for a kids' college tuitiion base don your $25000 rental of an ST seat.

just my two cents.

Words of wisdom SG!!

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 09-30-2013, 10:34 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

^truth
Old 09-30-2013, 11:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by SG-ZSAMotorsport

just my two cents.
WORD.

Glad I sold my shop after two decades of that...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Ballpark Cost of a weekend in a Conti ST car?