Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the Necksgen Rev Head/Neck Restraint

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 2 devices are similar it seems - limited protection- something is better than nothing. Our PCA regions gives a reimbursment towards purchase for Instructors. very nice.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
They test for a 30 degree offset impact. Not very close to side for sure.

Basilar skull fracture with HANS has happened. V8 supercars (?) Ashley Cooper. The impact was that angular impact. I remember hearing of others but that one stands out. The video of it is pretty easy to find IIRC.
I looked it up. Wow. Doesn't look like a bad crash at all. Wiki has it listed as head and internal injuries as cause of death. Are you sure it is BSF?

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-10-2014, 06:29 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
The 2 devices are similar it seems - limited protection- something is better than nothing. Our PCA regions gives a reimbursment towards purchase for Instructors. very nice.
You got that right. That's awesome on the reimbursement thing. Great to see regions getting more proactive.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

I just looked the crash up also- sad- Hard hit but at first glance you would not think fatal. We all have a hobby with inherent dangers. Life has an expiration date, Enjoy. - I'm a winner when I come home safe. I hope I never test my Necksgen Rev.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
I just looked the crash up also- sad- Hard hit but at first glance you would not think fatal. We all have a hobby with inherent dangers. Life has an expiration date, Enjoy. - I'm a winner when I come home safe. I hope I never test my Necksgen Rev.
That's true. I have tested my Hans at Sebring unfortunately and it worked flawlessly. I've had neck surgery and have a metal plate in the past, but the wreck with the Hans didn't even make my neck sore.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

wow. I want to say something else but I'm speechless. I could not imagine. Blinded by delight of driving. I have not had an on track incident.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:59 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Did you buy it from a local company that had a booth? I’m interested, but would like to go somewhere local to try one on.
I believe it was a direct factory rep, rather than a dealer but I'm not sure. Apparently the medium fits most people.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Ran 1st event with Necksgen Rev. Took 5 minutes to get use to restricted side to side movement. Awesome easy- Everyone was looking at it. A little tough backing out of parking spot. Much more comfortable - I'm so glad I got it instead of HANS.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Smokey the Talon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run a 1st generation NecksGen for 2 years now in a DE environment. As mentioned the side-to-side head movement restriction takes some getting used to, but I use the quick release mounts (supplied with unit) and it's easy for me to have the unit on and then connect it to my helmet while waiting in line to go on track. That way it's not restricting me in the paddoc while manuvering/backing. Once on track you'll never notice it's there. It's very comfortable and I've been nothing but happy with it.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey the Talon
I've run a 1st generation NecksGen for 2 years now in a DE environment. As mentioned the side-to-side head movement restriction takes some getting used to, but I use the quick release mounts (supplied with unit) and it's easy for me to have the unit on and then connect it to my helmet while waiting in line to go on track. That way it's not restricting me in the paddoc while manuvering/backing. Once on track you'll never notice it's there. It's very comfortable and I've been nothing but happy with it.
I second everything he said as I have a 1st gen and have been running it for 2 years in DE as well. I won't get on the track without it.

Cheaper than HANS offers more side impact and doesn't have the fixed angle issue that some HANS units have.

I'm guessing the new rev is even better but see no reason to spend the money again just to remove the yoke which doesn't bother me.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:28 AM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey the Talon
I've had my Necksgen for two years now and generally like it except.....like you, I attach it to my helmet while sitting in the car but for some reason my tethered male inserts slide to the rear making them difficult to locate and grasp especially with a halo seat.
Have you had this problem and is there a way to remedy this annoyance.?

Tom B.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:40 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been wearing a defNder (predecessor to the NecksGen) since they first came out. I finally tested it with a HARD impact last September (see below, starting ~1:50). Notice that my impact was not directly frontal, but was significantly offset to the left. All four corners were torn off, hard enough to break two of the wheels. There is not much in the way of side-to-side restraint in my car, so the only thing attached to my head is the lateral tethers on the defNder.

I can't vouch for it in direct comparison to the HANS, but I can say that I'm very glad I was wearing the defNder. Without it, I might not be posting this.....

Old 04-20-2014, 12:40 PM
DestinyRacingUSA
AutoX

Leatt makes one also and it is priced a little lower.

http://www.leatt.com/shop/braces/kart/mrx.html

Old 04-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Smokey the Talon
Track Day

Originally Posted by tomburdge
I've had my Necksgen for two years now and generally like it except.....like you, I attach it to my helmet while sitting in the car but for some reason my tethered male inserts slide to the rear making them difficult to locate and grasp especially with a halo seat.
Have you had this problem and is there a way to remedy this annoyance.?

Tom B.
I'm afraid I'm not running a halo seat so I haven't had much trouble other than just making sure the tether straps don't get caught in my harnesses when initially strapping down. Once my harnesses are tight I grab the tethers by the inserts and just make sure they're centered left to right. Then I know when I get to the grid the male inserts are essentially sitting on top of my shoulders. My inserts enter from the rear and upward at about a 45 degree angle and have been relatively easy for me to insert. I also like being able to use the quick release when I get back into the paddock and have to look around corners etc.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

the JRP booth by chance? think I saw it there, looked nice...

Originally Posted by crooster
I believe it was a direct factory rep, rather than a dealer but I'm not sure. Apparently the medium fits most people.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Necksgen Rev Head/Neck Restraint