Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 01:28 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big Brother at your next PCA race

Just saw this in Club Racing News. The long/short of it is a device each car will have to attach to enable officials to monitor data points on all cars, including rev limits, gear ratios and acceleration performance. This will enable them to keep a level playing field and discourage cheaters. They started testing it in October. Thoughts??

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 02-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

They put this on mmullers car at Sebring. Then they DQ'd him!

Kidding kidding! I have no problem with it. I had an interesting discussion about it with a scrute. It seems that even trying to sandbag isn't going to work.

They were pretty aggressive at Sebring with the new toys that's for sure.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Good!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

The Scuts placed the device in my car for Sunday's Enduro at Sebring. Haven't had any feedback, and don't really expect any. Device clamps to the roll cage, and a wire is run through to the engine compartment and connected to a plug wire. They removed it at black flag immediately after the race. No brainer from a convenience point of view.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:43 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I would def welcome it. I had a good outing at CMP in Oct and a few asked about me having a cheater engine. Fact is that I ran a little slower than last year and last year I had an engine about to blow. One person even asked Porsche of Asheville where I had it rebuilt about it. No biggie...I'll take it as a compliment. But, a device like this would have discredited the thought immediately. Also, my car was 100 pounds heavy.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:43 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also understand that these units will be used to modify the mapping in certain GT cars...too fast and a sliding performance alteration will occur.

Keeps the playing field a bit more level, they say.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell yes. Bring it on.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by MRW
The Scuts placed the device in my car for Sunday's Enduro at Sebring. Haven't had any feedback, and don't really expect any. Device clamps to the roll cage, and a wire is run through to the engine compartment and connected to a plug wire. They removed it at black flag immediately after the race. No brainer from a convenience point of view.
Sounds like it tracks RPMs but other than that? If it's one of those HP/TQ "estimators" it would be useless unless all (same type) cars of a certain class had it and you could try and correlate the data on a sliding scale looking for big outliers.. but even then you would have to switch the devices around to eliminate possible differences in the device itself. On ECU/OBD cars it would be better of course, IF hooked into the system.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

as long as they only attach it to one of my engines I'm good with it
Old 02-06-2014, 02:18 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah... anything like that, sounds like a clever idea...

Of course, back in the day, they also attached a performance measuring device to my car... I think they called it a "transponder"...

Based on the data, it proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I was cheating, I sure wasted alot of money.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:44 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sounds like it tracks RPMs but other than that? If it's one of those HP/TQ "estimators" it would be useless unless all (same type) cars of a certain class had it and you could try and correlate the data on a sliding scale looking for big outliers.. but even then you would have to switch the devices around to eliminate possible differences in the device itself. On ECU/OBD cars it would be better of course, IF hooked into the system.
For Stock classes, it would be quite effective...

For example, two D-Stock SCs exit Turn 10 at Summit Point nose to tail in 3rd gear. Exit speed is identical.

Car 1 exits the turn at 5,500 RPM, shifts twice on the main straight and is pulling 6,000 RPM in 5th gear at the brake-point.

Car 2 exits the turn at 4,500 RPM shifts once and is pulling 7,000 RPM in 4th gear at the brake-point.

Car 1 has a 5 car lead going into Turn 1.

Analysis:

Car 2 is clearly cheating, as he saved one shift on the Main Straight, which gives him an advantage.:sure:

Disclaimer:.... "this scenario is entirely fictional as this has never happened in an actual race."
Old 02-06-2014, 02:45 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I also understand that these units will be used to modify the mapping in certain GT cars...too fast and a sliding performance alteration will occur.

Keeps the playing field a bit more
level, they say.
I guess I understand it in the spec classes, but I disagree for GT1-6. Too many variables. And I thought PCA was amateur racing anyway...
Old 02-06-2014, 03:03 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The updated version actually redirect ign spark to your reactor if it detects too much acceleration.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

once it's in the car, could there be a way to reprogram it to give a performance advantage?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:09 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
once it's in the car, could there be a way to reprogram it to give a performance advantage?
No.

But most GT cars have the special NASA "two map" switch.

Up for the dyno, down for the race...

Quick Reply: Big Brother at your next PCA race