Sponsored by:

Sebring Videos

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

As long as your strategy is to hope the guy in the PDK car sucks at driving you are good to go
Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy doesn't have to suck. But everyone has different comfort levels on how fast they can go. I.e., how late they brake, how early they get on gas, staying flat through certain section etc.
if drivers are the same then yea that all goes out the window and then strategy with traffic n pit stops come in to play
I think we all know paddles are really here n now and is the fastest way around. Look at porsche finally joining the ranks with the 991 cup
There's just something about braking, heel toeing and still making a pass without the car doing it for you, while we are still club racing for fun
Now getting paid to drive, that's a whole different ball game
Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 768 Posts

Let me be very clear here: I was not saying that a PDK car would be 3+ seconds faster, when paddle shifted, than a well driven manual Cayman.

What I am saying -- based on direct personal observation -- is that when PDK cars are driven in Automatic Transmission mode, where the driver is able to do his or her nails, sip a latte, and text his or her friends, they are SIGNIFICANTLY faster at tracks like COTA than manual versions of rhe same cars.

In other words, when the driver is fully removed from the shifting component. This is the key, and, IMO, is the "cheater mod" that makes for stellar lap times. If there were a way to "lock out" the automatic transmission mode in these cars, so they MUST be shifted with the paddles, it would be a lot better, IMO, and the 100 lbs might be reasonable.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Some people would say that about your car, Randy!
Unfortunately my motor is shy a set of extreme heads, trade a bunch of Ti for steel....and some big cash

I'll open it up for whoever wants to see it
Old 02-15-2014, 01:00 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Some people would say that about your car, Randy!

VR, my data shows that, while some drivers going from stick to flippers go quicker, and that that the fastest PDK cars are quicker than the fastest stick cars by a small margin, it's incorrect and inaccurate to say that "PDK cars are three seconds faster, all in the straights." Silly, really. Absurd...

jenk12m (stick) went quicker than jpcourt (pdk) and was within a half a second of Simon Kirkby in jpcourt's car. In jenk12m's video, you can clearly see that there is no demonstrable acceleration differential on-the-straight but there's huge variation going in, through and out of the corners. And EACH driver's performance varied widely between corners..

I worked with my friend Henry Davis at Sebring last December when he and Bob Schneider had fun covered with a blanket. His PDK car was quicker than his stick car from a year earlier, but he was quicker, too. Bob in his stick car went as fast as Simon in jpcourt's PDK car. Of course, Jack Baldwin and Mark Sandridge, both of whom were racing Sebring before Pat Long was born, got into the 2:18's...

Now, y'all continue to make these broad, sweeping and not supported by the data statements , you all need to realize that there is so much more to the driver/car performance combination than the type of transmission or a silly lap time, step back and think about all that YOU, the driver, can do better. In EVERY skill execution, in EVERY corner, with EVERY throttle application, rather than keep up drinking sweet whine...

Hey Peter.... My car is a row your own... no PDK for me.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:02 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by good hands
GTB1 is a great class but there is no doubt that ALL Caymans cheat
Good to see you are the only none cheating 996 Scott:-) how long until we see you in a Cayman
Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcourt
Good to see you are the only none cheating 996 Scott:-) how long until we see you in a Cayman
Great seeing and racing with you Joe.

2 first place finishes and all of sudden your motor pulls stronger and you get accused of driving a PDK ? Amazing the scrutiny that comes with winning and doing well.

I'll be in a Cup car before I build a 140k Cayman. But that's just me.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcourt
Hey Peter.... My car is a row your own... no PDK for me.
Sorry, Joe! Too many cars swimming around in my head! Ready for winter to be over!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-15-2014, 10:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

2 first place finishes and all of sudden your motor pulls stronger and you get accused of driving a PDK ? Amazing the scrutiny that comes with winning and doing well.
Hahaha! ^This^
Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Funny and Oh So true
Old 02-15-2014, 04:09 PM
jenk12m
Banned

1st time running with joe, so his car running that strong is all I know and I love it. It's gonna take my best every time to keep up with you joe.

Scott you might take that back after you rebuild that cup tranny and
Engine a few times.

Quick Reply: Sebring Videos