Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup...ly-at-michigan
Old 08-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Starting a team is all about the $$$, just ask Peter Windsor. The goal of a start-up F1 team is not to compete, its just make it to the grid! Competing and winning comes much later. DP is probably his best shot of of actually entering a race and and certainly a smart choice from a business perspective. Can't develop a car without $$$, no matter how good the driver is.

Us amateurs see racing as a hobby. Haas understand that F1 racing is a business. Expect him to make very different decisions than you would.

Bringing Danica into Haas F1 has substantial gains tied to it. The initial Global PR and monetary gains tied to her would likely be through the roof. But...there lies one little issue. The problem is F1 racing and the industry associated with it. Haas has a substantial reputation of winning. There is much respect there. But...given Danica's on track lack-luster performances, there could be a "Maldonado-esque" situation on their hands. And THAT could be a poor choice for the long haul. The reputation will wither...and not be taken seriously.

My hope - they have the funding to make a solid appearance with a solid driver in the No.1 role with a US developmental driver in the No.2 (Alexander Rossi)...

C.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:27 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
My hope - they have the funding to make a solid appearance with a solid driver in the No.1 role with a US developmental driver in the No.2 (Alexander Rossi)...

C.
From a week ago:

11 August 2014 – Alexander Rossi has confirmed that he has taken part in tentative discussions with Gene Haas about driving for his fellow American's new team, Haas Formula, when it arrives on the Formula 1 grid in 2016.

Haas, who chose to defer his entry by a year to ensure that the required structure is in place, has previously stated that the ideal scenario would be to partner an experienced driver with a young American talent.

Rossi, who recently left Caterham and linked up with Marussia, feels that he would be a good choice.

"I am thrilled for Haas, His passion and commitment to enter F1 and bring Americans closer to the sport deserves serious respect. Americans love to have an athlete to get behind and I think having a team in the sport, particularly with someone as well known and successful as Gene would be fantastic.

"We've obviously spoken with Haas and the final step is to have an American driver in F1 that fans can support. If the opportunity comes my way and timing is right, I know I'll be prepared and could do a good job for them."

With speculation that Rossi could make his Formula 1 debut with Marussia as early as next season, the 22-year-old clarified that he would be ready to step up to a race seat whenever a chance presents itself.

"I'm confident, prepared and very ready," he went on to explain. "Ultimately my goal is to have a full-time Formula 1 seat, that's always been pretty clear. So racing full-time is certainly the target I'm working towards."
Old 08-18-2014, 02:40 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Lets hope they are more competitive than Caterham and Marussia! Its sad when a team has to get excited about just scoring some points.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:50 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I'd like to be optimistic, but history has shown that new F1 teams struggle mightily, especially when they start from scratch. Even the RBR team came from the Jaguar team plus a ton of cash and Newey before they started to win.

It makes sense for Hass F1 to wait another year to see how the Honda power unit comes on board as compared to the Mercedes engine. With an engine freeze in place, it's not probable that Ferrari and Renault engines get the contract.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

F1 has virtually no mass market potential in USA. Sure there are some hardcore racing fans like us, but we'll watch it regardless.

The introduction of an "American" team or "American" driver will not move the needle, especially a start-up that will probably stink out loud for years.

I find it hard to believe that millions of new US sponsorship money will suddenly pour into F1 racing regardless of who Haas chose as a driver.

Some countries are excited just to be on the guest list, but Americans are used to winning, and aren't going to consider a 15th place finish in a European sport to be very impressive.

I wish them well, but the history of US F1 "efforts" has been pretty dismal. They have an uphill climb.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:46 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
F1 has virtually no mass market potential in USA. Sure there are some hardcore racing fans like us, but we'll watch it regardless.

The introduction of an "American" team or "American" driver will not move the needle, especially a start-up that will probably stink out loud for years.

I find it hard to believe that millions of new US sponsorship money will suddenly pour into F1 racing regardless of who Haas chose as a driver.

Some countries are excited just to be on the guest list, but Americans are used to winning, and aren't going to consider a 15th place finish in a European sport to be very impressive.

I wish them well, but the history of US F1 "efforts" has been pretty dismal. They have an uphill climb.
I disagree. Wifey who usually wants nothing to do with sports other than college football is becoming a fan. Soccer was / is a hard sell and they are doing it. The Tour de France was a hard sell.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a market for F1 in the US, but it is mostly hardcore racing fans who are not swayed by gimmicks.

If Haas can come out of the box with an "American" team, and win races, it may change the game, but I have to doubt it.

I'm all for it and wish him well, but I think the last "American" team to win an F1 race was Dan Gurney with the Eagle in, what, 1967?

It's not that easy.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

There's a market in the U.S. but it's unlikely to ever be fully developed given the entry hurdles set by Bernie.

Quick Reply: Gene Haas has lost his mind!!!