Sponsored by:

Renn-memory: Sponsoring a car at Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Renn-memory: Sponsoring a car at Le Mans

(Warning: Long and rambling, but I'm feeling rather nostalgic...)

Among the tens of thousands of followers of Rennlist, there's been some pretty big names over the years.

One of them is Kevin Buckler.

In fact the Rennlist logo had been on The Racers Group Le Mans entries in 2001, 2002, and 2003, including the year Kevin took class honors.

Fast forward 51 weeks to Tuesday of Le Mans week, 2004... in other words 10 years ago.

Kevin calls John D and asks if he has any ideas for a sponsor for the wing of his 2004 RSR entry. Kevin's not driving, but The Racer's Group is managing a GT entry for three Europeans -- what would be GTE-Am today. John told him he may know just the bunch of merry pranksters who'd probably leap at the chance. Hey Wait For Me Racing... The Turtle Team.

HWFMR started as the name I'd given my PCA Club Racing efforts, and had put it in my signature. I'd been spending a lot of time on the Racing Board and the 993 board. Other 'Listers saw it and said "that sounds like a team I should be on."

Hopefuls merely had to post their exploits and on-track follies in a self-deprecating application for team membership. After other teammates had a chance to comment, they were welcomed to the team.

Within a year, and thanks to Rennlist and John D's support, we had over 150 teammates around the world.

John D called me Tuesday morning and wanted to know if we'd like to have the team logo on a Le Mans entry.

But there was a big "But..." And that being the cost was well into 4 figures. Equal to a fair number of Hoosiers.

John wondered if we could post on Rennlist and ask HWFM team members if they would chip in to cover the cost.

I had no idea if we could raise that kind of money on Rennlist. But, Hey, a car at Le Mans!...

I called Kevin and explained what John and I were thinking of doing. I said I'd personally guaranty a smaller amount, and he could have everything we raised if we exceeded that guaranty.

Kevin said "Deal." (Obviously a big believer in the power of Rennlist)

Tuesday evening John and I posted asking teammates and Rennlisters to contribute.

OMG.

People loved the idea. Instantly dozens and dozens of teammates, and many others, reached into their pockets and contributed.

We had Rennlisters chipping in hundreds of dollars for the effort.

We had college guys scraping together $15 -- all the money they could spare, even valuable beer money -- just to be a part of it.

In a matter of hours, we’d exceeded our goal. By Thursday morning, more than 80 had pledged to participate, and contributions were still coming in.

The Turtle logo went on the wing Thursday afternoon. Thursday night, the car was a couple seconds quicker in the second qualifying session. Co-incidence? Of course not.

Saturday morning found groups of Rennlisters huddled around televisions all across the country. Teammates from Singapore to Switzerland were tuned in.
In Chicago, 20 of us gathered at Jeff Phillips townhouse. We had our first sighting of the logo while the Racers Group car was on the grid.

The Racers Group's distinctive blue swirls made the car easy to spot during the coverage. Unfortunately, the low down-force wing setting for the Mulsanne Straight meant the logo would be a little hard to see (How HWFM!). Every time the Racers Group entry appeared on camera, every index finger in the room would rocket toward the screen accompanied by shouts of “There it is!... There it is!... That’s our car!” Interesting how a small sponsorship role quickly grows into “our” car.

The #81 GT3 RSR started 42 of 48, comparable to where some of us start in our PCA club races.

However, the driver team of Ian Donaldson, Gregor Fisken and Lars Nielsen kept working their way up the lap charts, hour after hour.

By Sunday morning they had the car dialed in, and were regularly turning faster laps than their qualifying times.

By 3 pm and the end of the race, the Turtle had beaten 30 Hares to finish 18th overall and sixth in class. A wonderful performance, and just what you’d expect from The Racer’s Group.

Thanks to John D, and and the enthusiasm generated by Rennlist, we ultimately raised more than three times the amount I promised to cover.

However, we did withhold a small amount. Everyone who contributed received this poster, as well as a patch and a window sticker.

That effort was so much fun, we decided to actually attend the race the following year. Thirty of us made that trip in 2005.

Thank you to John D. and Rennlist for making it all possible ten years ago.

This is a pretty special site.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2014, 04:13 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Great post.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That poster is up on the wall of the garage here in NC. So cool
Old 06-15-2014, 04:56 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Very cool!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Mike,

My poster is still hanging in my garage and I wear my patch on my suit with pride. And the turtle adorns the rear of my 1973 911S racecar - Tweety Bird! Thanks for organizing this effort, and thanks for the memories. I am proud to have been part of this!

Toby
(Still drivin' a HWFM Tow Truck!)
Old 06-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

I had no idea! Great story.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:27 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hwfm team has been one of my highlights of many Rennlist highlights.
I still have my 'application' post saved.
I'm embarrased to not remember whether I supported the car, though ( don't tell me if I didn't; I don't want to be the schmuck).
Anyone remember Kevin's decal in memory of Adrian Streather's daughter ?
Great post, and in the Hwfm tradition, very well written.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...good memories.

The HWFM poster is in the wall in my garage & the sticker just went on my Radicsal yesterday.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poster's still prominently displayed in my garage as well.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

My girlfriend framed the poster a couple of years ago, and it now hangs in my home office. At the old bachelor pad I had it taped to the front of the refrigerator.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Great post.
+993
Old 06-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool memory, Mike.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:58 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Proud to have been a part of both.. got the t-shirt, posters and patch.

Still waiting to be added to the HWFMR team roster, but to be fair I was told that could take some time.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Hey teammates, great to hear from you. Glad you're still enjoying the posters and other swag.

And thanks for the kind words from the newer Rennlisters. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I'm embarrased to not remember whether I supported the car, though ( don't tell me if I didn't; I don't want to be the schmuck).
Anyone remember Kevin's decal in memory of Adrian Streather's daughter ?
Great post, and in the Hwfm tradition, very well written.
Not to worry Rick. No one knows for sure... You see, HWFMR has been investigated by the Feds twice.

First an NSA agent stumbled on our website. Unfortunately he had just been on a two-hour expense-account lunch, and read "Tortoise Organization" as "Terrorist Organization". We had to show him multiple team videos to convince him otherwise (His parting words were "Hell, I'm faster in a Black Tahoe than you guys")... But he still called the IRS on us.

They figured any group having this much fun must be doing something illegal.

While Phil McGrath stalled the IRS SWAT team with his usual double-talk at the door of World HQ, I shredded all the team records and financials. Including who contributed to the Le Mans sponsorship.

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Proud to have been a part of both.. got the t-shirt, posters and patch.

Still waiting to be added to the HWFMR team roster, but to be fair I was told that could take some time.

It's only been ten years, David... what's the rush?

Quick Reply: Renn-memory: Sponsoring a car at Le Mans