Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie looking for a car and advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Miata all the way. Anything with more power is wasted at AMP, and a slower car will help you be a better driver. If you get a chance, do Road Atlanta. That might change your perspective on things a bit.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Spec miatas can be street legal. Drove what is essentially a spec miata of the later series car 2006+ to breakfast this morning.

Lots of support in Atlanta area as well. Opm autosport is there and have some of the fastest nicest sm out there
^^THIS^^ That's a nice looking car, Joe!

OPM can provide more than just a car and support. You can rent, try and buy, but the greatest value is the personal attention of Tom Fowler, the owner.

Coaching, car, local, all-in-one.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Miata all the way. Anything with more power is wasted at AMP, and a slower car will help you be a better driver. If you get a chance, do Road Atlanta. That might change your perspective on things a bit.
^^ +1 ^^
AMP is a rather slow track and honestly it is not a lot of fun for a higher HP car. A Miata would be the perfect choice for this track.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:56 AM
thstone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
True, of course, but most would say that driving a caged car on the street is ill advised.
Can you explain further on why its not advised? I understand that it might not be the most convenient mode of conveyance but are there any real concerns? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:44 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by thstone
Can you explain further on why its not advised? I understand that it might not be the most convenient mode of conveyance but are there any real concerns? Thanks.
Unless you plan on driving on the street with your helmet on, think about your head coming in contact with any part of the cage.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Bah. Pad the roll bar tubing... I have a LOT of friends wh do this, with no downside as of yet.

Heck, I did it for years!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM
KNK123
Rennlist Member

Location: Land of Fruits and Nuts, but the weather is perfect.

Certainly if money is an issue (but even if it's not), you can't go wrong with a slow, cheap car (e.g., Spec Miata). Learn to drive that fast and you'll be way ahead of the game. If you're serious, get some pro coaching sooner rather than later. The free stuff at the DEs can teach you good habits and bad habits -- depends who you get.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:47 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a GTS2 99 Boxster that sounds right for your needs. PM me for details.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:13 AM
prg
Pro

One more vote for a spec miata. Safe, fun, "relatively inexpensive" tire, brakes, bodywork, mods,etc. Big fields to race in if you slip further down the slope. My (and probably your) inevitable mistakes are usually recoverable because things happen more slowly in a SM. I've had a lot more fun in the last 5 years racing SM, than racing my much faster open wheel car.

You'll likely be able to find a trackside shop to support your car. This seems a bit more expensive, but eliminates trailers, tow vehicles, tools, diesel,etc.
My $0.02
Old 07-09-2014, 10:38 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 307 Posts

I bought a clean 99 Cab tiptronic last fall on a whim (couldn't believe the price . . always wanted a 911) tracked it for the first time in feb and I'm now hooked. I've done 6 track days so far this year with 5 more scheduled in the next 2 months.

The 2 phrases you will hear a lot around here which are absolutely true:

1) "Slippery slope":

A cab (and worse the Tip) is not that suited for the track. I got lucky that my motor appears to be good in spite of the 90K miles but the first day out on the stock worn out suspension was scary and it didn't take long for me to realize that street alignment with stock suspension is tough on the tires/handling as well.

Deep sump, upgraded brakes, LCAs, PSS10s, GT3 sways, tires and finally I'm putting a 4 pt bar, seat and harness in next week. I drive to the track these days but not much else because track setup suspension and brakes don't really lend themselves to pleasurable street driving.

2) "If I only knew then . . . ." :

The good part is it's still a 911 so I'm no where near reaching it's limits and although it's starting to feel a little sluggish on the straights the lack of hp and the tip make it somewhat forgiving for a novice like me. And since it has no real value now I'm not worried about track abuse.

I chuckled a bit when you mentioned a Cayman R because I really like that car as well. Fast, Sport suspension, LSD, decent seats and a PDK that will think for you - there's a lot to like, but I personally would have a tough time taking a nice shiny new car like that to the track as much as I currently am.

So I second the Miata as well, I have been on track in one and they are like a big go kart. Hell I'm only one blown motor or crash away from getting one myself! (or taking up golf)

rich

Last edited by RDCR; 07-09-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:36 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDykmans
So I second the Miata as well, I have been on track in one and they are like a big go kart.
This exactly what happened to me. I was tracking a BMW and a 996, but then I got a ride in a spec Miata and couldn't quit grinning. Lots of fun. Lots of others to compare yourself to so that you know how you are progressing.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:45 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Mazda is the cheapest way in.

If you want to go p-car -- then hard to beat the cost of a Boxster -- engine issues not withstanding (which you can scour the net and scare yourself to death with) ....

Handling is awesome -- a little quicker than a Miata, and a car you have to learn to drive on the track.
Don't go big horsepower -- learn to drive a momentum car -- and you'll be a better driver for it.

M
Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Or there is this if you are looking for a relatively inexpensive and safe Porsche track car that is very easy to drive on track, plenty of cars to race in class with, and will let you fall asleep Sunday night if you ball it up over the weekend:

FS: Porsche 944 2.5L turnkey 944 race car for 944 Cup and PCA SP2. Has NASA, PCA, log books. All safety requirements in place. Race harnesses, full fire suppressant system (fully charged) with on board release in cabin and under hood, left and right side nets, full roll cage with 2 driver side door bars, two race seats, seat back brace driver side, kill switch, tow hooks front and rear.

Includes removable Momo steering wheel, Leda 24 position adjustable shocks
with ride height adjustable coilover springs in frt and rear, large
weltmeister adjustable sway bars frt and rear, manual steering, shock strut
brace,full suspension Racers Edge solid billet bushings, stainless
steel brake lines, fresh engine rod bearings and timing belt.

Replaced: custom radiator, starter, brake and clutch master and slave cylinders,Lindsey Racing fuel rail. Rebuilt head with
only a couple of DE's on engine since.

Car also includes A/c Delete, replaced both axles, wheel bearings, fuel pump. Custom boxed A-arms,spings 500 lbs frt and 550 lbs rear, Nology coil, Racers Edge camber plates, Borla exhaust, short shifter, shift light, water and oil temp gauges, convex rear view mirror. Interior completely stripped and painted. Fresh exterior paint. No body damage.

Asking price: $7,400. Email Dave at cup944@aol.com
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2014, 01:42 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with those who point out that you need to do a few DE days before you make a car decision. Talk to guys at the track; you'll get all kinds of advice!

But to start ... there's no better choice than a Hertz. That, or an Avis.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for a car and advice