Newbie looking for a car and advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Newbie looking for a car and advice

Guys,

I live near a private track north of Atlanta (Atlanta Motorsports Park). Having been there a couple of times, I'm interested in getting a track car and getting some good instruction. It has been suggested that I look for a stock Cayman R. I was told that this is more than enough to learn on. Does this sound like a good option? At this point I'm not really sure what to ask since this is all new to me, but if anyone has thoughts or suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks much,

Dave
Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

slow
safe
no driver aids
doesn't matter if it gets beat up(not that you want to wreck but get something that won't bother you if you wad it up)
move up to faster later on
Old 07-03-2014, 01:30 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

Well that's the route I took but not so sure I'd do it again. Cayman R is a great car and lots of fun. Good car to learn in. But not cheap to buy and if you are jumping in with both feet and tracking it a lot it will get beat up. Mine rattles a lot, covered in paint chips and the splitter is on with duct tape. After awhile you'll want more camber and that takes suspension mods (LCAs). A few things to consider are how much you want to spend and risk at the track? and will you drive on the street as well or get a trailer /tow vehicle and just track the car ? Longer term, just DE or race?

I do DEs and drive to the local tracks so for that the CR is ok. If I had it all to do over, I'd look hard at used spec Miata or maybe spec Box. with full safety gear- cage, seats, harness, hans etc.

If you do pursue a CR be sure to find one with Sport Bucket seats.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Well that's the route I took but not so sure I'd do it again. Cayman R is a great car and lots of fun. Good car to learn in. But not cheap to buy and if you are jumping in with both feet and tracking it a lot it will get beat up. Mine rattles a lot, covered in paint chips and the splitter is on with duct tape. After awhile you'll want more camber and that takes suspension mods (LCAs). A few things to consider are how much you want to spend and risk at the track? and will you drive on the street as well or get a trailer /tow vehicle and just track the car ? Longer term, just DE or race?

I do DEs and drive to the local tracks so for that the CR is ok. If I had it all to do over, I'd look hard at used spec Miata or maybe spec Box. with full safety gear- cage, seats, harness, hans etc.

Good advice, all around.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat

One of my challenges is that I have never driven seriously on the track. The thought is that the Cayman R would give me a good way to get my feet wet. That said, if I get into it seriously it sounds like it could be the wrong car. If I went with a dedicated track car what would be a good option? Should i seriously look at a Miata or a more track ready Cayman?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:03 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

Ok, if you have not driven on track before then that should be the first step- do a few DEs to see if it's really something you want to pursue. The bug can bite hard, but it's not for everyone. I'm not familiar with your local PCA region but that's a good place to start. They should have a website with info on upcoming DEs. You can use almost any car for a first DE. Also the other drivers and instructors can give lots of info on selecting a track car- maybe try to sell you one!

In my view Miata vs Cayman is largely a cost question. Mazda is plentiful, cheap, light, parts availability, lower power, so makes a great learning platform- note I have not owned one so going by what I've heard from others. I would look to spec Miata for the safety gear. Cayman will cost a lot more and the inevitable mods will cost more too. Tires, brakes cost more too. But cost no object Cayman is a great choice. I don't see a lot of track prepped Caymans for sale. That's why I mentioned spec Boxster if wanting to track a Porsche. You can find those and again will have full safety gear.

Another thought on track car platforms- BMW M3- E36, E46 are worth considering. A friend started with a 997 Turbo S and after a few DEs bought an E46 track car. I've pointed him by a few times....

Hope this helps

Last edited by zedcat; 07-03-2014 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-03-2014, 03:11 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

what car do you have today? why not start with that? any car will do for getting your feet wet - you will spend a lot of time getting used to the new environment and unlearning a lot of what you were taught\use in daily driving. once you move up to a strong intermediate level then i would look for more of a focused car.. you will make a much better decision from your new learnings and talking to people at the events.

I started with a Mini Cooper S which was a great car as its forgiving and very capable in the corners (going straight fast is booring.. taking a corner at speed is where it gets fuuuuun!)

learn & have fun is step #1!

phil.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:24 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The part about wadding one up with no regrets should be your starting point. Once it goes on the track you are responsible for all repair costs. Most traditional insurance companies will not touch damage that happens on the track.

Miatas are cheap to repair and mod. Consumables like breaks and tires are very reasonable. If you insist on a Porsche then look at Spec Box or Spec 944. Both well balanced cars with not a lot of add ons.

They can be had on this website and others for a very reasonable price. It is cheaper to buy a car already race prepped than to build your own, not as much fun but cheaper.

The first modifications you will want to make are to the driver. After the driver has been tweaked enough to understand and feel what happens when you tweak the machine.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be aware that some of the choices mentioned here, like a spec Miata or Boxster are not street legal and thus require a trailer, tow vehicle, storage, etc. That does not make them bad ideas, you just need to be aware of the commitment involved. If I were to do it over, once I figured out that I had the incurable version of this disease, I would buy a street Miata and upgrade the suspension, add seats, harnesses, and add a roll bar. It takes a while to push limits, but once there, something with all the safety stuff (mostly a cage) will make more sense. You're a long way from that.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

Nine years ago my son and I started with a 4 year old Boxster S and learned at
Autocross and DEs over a 2 year period with PCA instructors.

Then, my son bought a race preped 911SC w/3.2L for Time Trials and then on to
full racing. He has been successful in the race car for the last few years in NASA
and we have enjoyed the experience. He is also now a PCA and
NASA Driving instructor.

I agree with others who say to get some good driving coaching early
to enjoy and be successful on the track.

Regards,
Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Spec miatas can be street legal. Drove what is essentially a spec miata of the later series car 2006+ to breakfast this morning.

The answer is miata. And until something else like it comes along it always will be. It pains me to say that but it is far and away the easy button. Lots of support in Atlanta area as well. Opm autosport is there and have some of the fastest nicest sm out there
Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Spec miatas can be street legal. Drove what is essentially a spec miata of the later series car 2006+ to breakfast this morning.

The answer is miata. And until something else like it comes along it always will be. It pains me to say that but it is far and away the easy button. Lots of support in Atlanta area as well. Opm autosport is there and have some of the fastest nicest sm out there
True, of course, but most would say that driving a caged car on the street is ill advised.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A group of Spec Boxsters battling it out here.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:58 AM
LostSouth
Instructor

Another vote for a spec Miata. AMP also has a a member race series for spec miatas.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Another vote for you to join PCA and start signing up for driver education (DE) events in your street car. See how you like it and take it from there.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for a car and advice