0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

2014 Grand Prix of Hungary

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:07 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good summary of the race here by David Coulthard. Offers kudos to both Lewis and Nico, defines the team as being at fault with the instructions asking to let Nico go through.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/28526568

Has Nico actually passed anyone of note this season on track and in a full on charge? Cant say I can remember any ballsy moves a la Fernando, Daniel, Hamilton etc.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:30 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

Another "pouty" Vettel pic...

Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
+1 Million. Stupidest rule ever.
I see your +1 Million, and raise it another +1 Million.

Bernie always talked about a Super Bowl or Finals type match... similar to "The Chase" in Nascar...

I don't like it now, but I reserve the right to change my mind at the end of the season!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I think Mercedes corporate does not like the image of one of its cars on fire and a phone call was quickly made! Hammy has just had bad luck - no conspiracy. Over the "break" things will get worked out. Nico will get his fair share as well.

I'm still going with Hammy for World Champion. Guts and technical skill will always win over cool detached technical skill.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hammy has determination on his side. Nico just hasn't shown this, at least so far.

"It was not about questioning authority, and I don't think I was being ruthless. I was not even being bloody minded," he said. "I was doing my job and got to the top. I am hired to race and bring in points for the team. I am also hired to be me and race my heart out. I did not start at the front of the pack. I started from the pit lane, so in my mind I could not afford to lose anything else. I have already given away too much.

"At the end of the year I could be looking back saying 'if only the car did not catch on fire', or 'if only the brakes didn't fail', 'if only I hadn't made a mistake in qualifying', 'if only the engine had not stopped in the race'...all these things. So it was just a case of not giving a single point away. I tried my hardest to be ahead and I don't feel as though I was being obligated to help."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motors...jCkVV37yPC8.99
Old 07-29-2014, 11:52 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Another "pouty" Vettel pic...
Well, he did "pout" a bit for this one too:

But apparently was left with a bad taste in his mouth or something...

Old 07-29-2014, 11:54 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

And a recap on his season (last one, I promise):

Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nico, Nico, Nico...it wasn't the Safety Car that made you lose the race...

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/3213/9...The-Safety-Car

Nico Rosberg believes he paid the price for the poor timing of the deployment of the first Safety Car in Hungary.

The Mercedes driver had a very handy lead at the front of the pack when Marcus Ericsson crashed his Caterham on lap eight, resulting in a Safety Car.

The timing of the Safety Car meant the front four of Rosberg, Valtteri Bottas, Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso couldn't pit immediately and they dropped down the order when they made their stops the next lap.

Rosberg, who ended up finishing fourth with Daniel Ricciardo from Red Bull winning the race, believes it cost him a possible race victory.

"It was wrong from the race officials because they sent it out at the wrong time because I got stuck behind it," he said in a Mercedes video blog.

"Normally, you're supposed to do this average speed slow lap but I got stuck behind it right away.

"And it was so slow that all those guys that managed to pit first, they got by me then. And that's not supposed to be the case. So that was the main problem."

Rosberg, his team-mate Lewis Hamilton and the Mercedes team have been making a lot of headlines since the race following some controversial strategic calls.

Hamilton was told to move aside for Rosberg, but the 2008 World Champion told the team it was up to the German to get close enough and overtake him.

The Brit ended up finishing third and was accused of ignoring team orders while Merc motorsport chief Toto Wolff felt the incident cost Rosberg the win.

Rosberg, though, admits he didn't get things right when he had another chance to overtake Hamilton right at the end.

"The thing I'm most annoyed about is the last lap, though, because I had a little opportunity and was just so close but [I] didn't manage to use it - there was just 30 centimetres missing or something," he said.

"What he did was okay, the way he defended, because the guy on the inside, it's his corner, so the guy on the outside needs to make it far enough in front that the other guy can't push him out.

"I didn't manage to do that, so that's what annoys me most."
Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

"The Brit ended up finishing third and was accused of ignoring team orders while Merc motorsport chief Toto Wolff felt the incident cost Rosberg the win."

Zee German must win...
Old 07-30-2014, 01:31 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Nico is making Hammy look stellar by comparison, both in and out of that car.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:52 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Brit ended up finishing third and was accused of ignoring team orders while Merc motorsport chief Toto Wolff felt the incident cost Rosberg the win.
At which time Hamilton responded: "Mission accomplished."
Old 07-30-2014, 03:29 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I don't know Raj, if I were in Lewis' shoes, I wouldn't be too happy going into summer break knowing that the last two race weekends were compromised due to mechanical failure during Q1. Luckily for MB, they can start at the back of the pack every race and make it to the front without issue, but were it not for those DNFs in qualifying, Hamilton would probably be leading in the points.

Conversely, Rosberg can't be happy about his certain win at Hungary being taken away due to the safety cars and the overheating brake problem he suffered. But he has no business complaining about Hamilton holding him up as he wasn't even close to Lewis during that period and Lewis isn't going to lift and lose 2 seconds to let him through.

No one is going to touch the Mercedes boys at Spa and Monza and the championship is probably going to come down to mechanical reliability.

This would all be intriguing were it not for the double points race in Abu Dhabi. All this fighting for a point here or there can be moot based on that one race alone.
Pete, over the last 5 yrs, Alonso lost 2 championships over a point here and there. There were race strategies over the course of the yr (Canada), that came back to bite Ferrari. RB made the right call and Vettel won the championship based on these mere points.

It could be looked upon as a few points here and there, but imagine, Rosberg is ahead by 13 points going into the last race and the finishing order is #1 Hammy and #2 Nico. The point difference in hungary between 3rd and 4th is what would cost Nico the championship (I am assuming all finishes get double points and not just a win).

It might not mean much now, but it could be the differnce in Abu Dhabi. Just saying. I have lost faith in Nico at this point. He does not have the same fire as Hammy.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:15 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
At which time Hamilton responded: "Mission accomplished."
So Not accurate. Here is the real story.

Mercedes defend Hamilton over team orders call | 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

Mercedes say they are satisfied with Lewis Hamilton’s driving in the Hungarian Grand Prix despite him refusing an instruction to let his team mate past.

During the second of of the race Hamilton was told not to hold Nico Rosberg up and then ordered to “let Nico past on the main start/finish straight”.

However Hamilton kept his position, saying “I’m not slowing down for Nico”.

Rosberg asked more than once why Hamilton hadn’t moved aside for him. After the race he said Hamilton’s failure to let him past was “obviously not good”.

But Mercedes now say Hamilton acted correctly because Rosberg did not get close enough to him.

“When the Safety Car came out, we chose to split the strategies, and offset ourselves to the cars ahead, in order to create opportunities to win, or worst case finish on the podium,” Mercedes motorsport director Toto Wolff told the team’s website.

“When we did so, Nico was running two positions in front of Lewis. We put Nico onto an aggressive three-stopper and Lewis onto a two-stop, with a long final stint on the [medium] tyre. That meant they would find each other on track at some point – and we would have a situation to manage.

“Lewis was asked to let Nico pass because we believed they both still had a chance to win the race as the strategies played out. But Nico never got close enough to Lewis to make the move – and we were ultimately comfortable with the decision Lewis made to hold position.”

Wolff said the team believed both drivers were capable of winning the race at the time.

“As a racing team, our mission is to win championships and to win races. We thought both of our drivers had a chance to fight for the race win – not just for a podium finish – so we acted accordingly.

“When it comes to drivers in the same team running alternative strategies, it is usual for them not to make life hard for each other when it comes to overtaking. But we must appreciate that we are not in a usual situation any more.”

The team intend to continue giving equal treatment to both drivers, Wolff added:

“At the start of the season, [executive director for technical] Paddy [Lowe] and I agreed a clear policy with the drivers that they are free to race for the win – as long as they are fighting for it.

“Equally, we have been clear that our priority as a team is always to give ourselves the best chance of winning the race – no matter which driver is fighting for it. The calls Paddy and the team on the pit wall made on Sunday were completely in line with our policy.

“And so, our drivers will continue to be free to race for the remainder of the 2014 championship; and they will be racing to win.”

However Wolff added the team’s biggest problem at the moment was not sorting out the tactics between their drivers.

“We should also be clear-sighted about the situation: this debate about team orders is obscuring our real problem at the moment, which is reliability.

“If we give the drivers the opportunity to use the full potential of the car on every lap, then we have the performance to race at the front of the field – and they will be free to race for the win without external factors playing a role. We haven’t done that recently and that has given us some headaches. But those problems can be avoided if we do a better job.”
Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Nico is making Hammy look stellar by comparison, both in and out of that car.
Where has Nico beat Hamilton head to head once on the track ? One successful passing maneuver ? In every race where nico did not cheat ... Monaco or his car was not broken LH takes the measure of NR.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

^ Exactly my point, as I said, Nico's behavior in and out of the car, is making Hammy look stellar.
Not diminishing Hammy's accomplishments, just an observation.

Quick Reply: 2014 Grand Prix of Hungary