Sponsored by:

Showtime went too far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 06:28 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Showtime went too far?

Aren't you supposed to stay in your car or leave the track after incident??

Kevin Ward Jr. killed after getting run over by Tony Stewart in on-track feud
Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Bizarre and sad story.
You have to wonder why the competitor got out of his car. Sounds like the old days where you see footage of F1 drivers standing on the side of a hot track shaking their fist at another competitor.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/10/justic...html?hpt=hp_t2
(CNN) -- NASCAR driver Tony Stewart hit and killed a fellow driver during a dirt-track race in upstate New York, authorities said early Sunday.
The incident occurred Saturday night at the Lucas Oil Empire Super Sprint at the Canandaigua Motorsports Park.
One of the sprint cars lost control and hit the wall during lap 14 of a 25-lap race, according to Philip C. Povero of the Ontario County Sheriff's Department.
The driver of the crashed car exited his vehicle and walked on the track, where he was hit by Stewart's car, authorities said.
He was taken to a hospital and later died.
"Stewart has fully cooperated with investigation," Povero said. "He acknowledges the collision with the driver."
Authorities declined to name the victim, but Tyler Graves -- a witness at the track -- said it was his friend, Kevin Ward.
Stewart's spokesman said they are trying to sort out the details.
"A tragic accident took place last night during a sprint car race in which Tony Stewart was participating," Mike Arning said. "Tony was unhurt, but a fellow competitor lost his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends."
An investigation is under way.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:27 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

^ that's pretty much exactly what happened. He even came down the track away from the car to make sure TS saw him.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

There is video of it on YouTube. The issue is going t be Tony accelerated moments before impact apparently getting the car somewhat sideways prior to impacting the other driver. Had the acceleration event not taken place then no fault to tony at all, with that happenings lines are a bit more blurred.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Kid in black suit on a dark track (darker than video shows I would bet). Runs down to racing line. He has to jump out of way of first car that also had to swerve to miss him. And sorry anyone who infers which car motor was revving up on that video is just guessing.

Maybe NASCAR and other groups will start fining these idiots who get out of their car and confront a car.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Kid in black suit on a dark track (darker than video shows I would bet). Runs down to racing line. He has to jump out of way of first car that also had to swerve to miss him. And sorry anyone who infers which car motor was revving up on that video is just guessing.

Maybe NASCAR and other groups will start fining these idiots who get out of their car and confront a car.
+1
Old 08-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Just plain stupid!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:34 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Those cars are steered by throttle as well as steering wheel.

I know the boy's family is devastated by his death and
I know that Tony Stewart will be heart broken and traumatized.

Its a sad story. I hope this doesn't devolve into one of those insane Rennlist rants.
Lets give some respect here for what is a tragedy in so many ways.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
There is video of it on YouTube. The issue is going t be Tony accelerated moments before impact apparently getting the car somewhat sideways prior to impacting the other driver. Had the acceleration event not taken place then no fault to tony at all, with that happenings lines are a bit more blurred.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:06 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I watched from a couple of angles and the contact, if any, which started this looked like a racing incident. Kid should have stayed in his car.

TS is 100% blameless here.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:24 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

My God that was stupid...

-Mike
Old 08-10-2014, 12:42 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The first thing you learn is to stay in your car, unless it's on fire.

I'm sure that more info will come out, so it's too early to jump to conclusions, and TS does have a bad rep for losing his temper, but the victim clearly ran into the middle of the track. He was an experienced racer, and should never have been there.

A senseless tragedy in all respects.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:03 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Not going to speculate on whether or not there was any intention by TS. Very sad incident. I do know that, had the kid stayed in his car or even just off the racing line, he would still be here. Also not sure why Ward was so upset as the wreck looked pretty typical of a Spring Car racing incident.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:10 PM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was shocked to hear this story late last night. I didn't hear the details; all I heard was Tony killed someone . Judging from the little video clip I don't think this can be called deliberate. Ward did something that goes against common sense and most likely track regulations. No matter how angry he was there is no logical reason to walk across the track WHILE the race is ongoing. Especially at a night racing event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qILmIyG6qno#t=12
Old 08-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Well I've seen the video now. OMG, it is the ultimate in red mist. Getting out of your car on a hot track just to shake your fist at someone shows an extraordinary amount of rage and lack of composure. Horribly avoidable.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:32 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Those cars are steered by throttle as well as steering wheel.
This is what the average person seems to be missing. Dirt cars, especially sprint cars, run staggered tire and suspension setups and are effectively "rear steer". The idea that TS blipping the throttle (even that is in question, as someone else pointed out it could have been any other car closer to the camera but out of frame) could be taken as something other than an evasive maneuver is simply speculation.

Very sad.

I can also say that the track in question is less than an hour from my parents house and I have been there. The lighting conditions would have made him very hard to detect with a dark fire suit.

Quick Reply: Showtime went too far?