Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 918 Posts

Go SPB or GTC3.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
There are exceptions: I have one client in E who has not spent $10,000+ for a high end remote reservoir suspension, and yet he kicks serious *** in a lesser car due to pure raw talent and mindset.
With all due respect VR, you contradicted your argument with this statement. And of course I know who you are referring to with this perfect example.

I can assure all of you (who don't race in E class): there are NO mediocre drivers in maximally prepared E cars winning E class races.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

GTC3 (996 Cup) is by far my all time favorite car to drive and race. As Randy said, it is a major financial commitment to be competitive, mostly on tires. There is great talent in GTC3 as well (along with 4 and 5). Also, like SPB, a lot less variance based on $$$ spent.
Again, not to be argumentative, but I think you are saying two different things here too.

IMO, C3 has had disappointing registration numbers the last few years, even at the big races. And the C3 cars are now stuck in the bottom of the "fast" group getting lapped by all the GTA2 cars.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
With all due respect VR, you contradicted your argument with this statement. And of course I know who you are referring to with this perfect example.

I can assure all of you (who don't race in E class): there are NO mediocre drivers in maximally prepared E cars winning E class races.

I understand your point. You're right. I don't think it is contradictory, though...it's just that some of th elettter classes have become an arms race, and it is rare to see someone prevail who has not dived in with open wallet.

Again, not to be argumentative, but I think you are saying two different things here too.

IMO, C3 has had disappointing registration numbers the last few years, even at the big races. And the C3 cars are now stuck in the bottom of the "fast" group getting lapped by all the GTA2 cars.
Yes, C3 numbers at some races are not stellar, primarily due (IMHO) to the recent reduction of costs to buy a C4 or C5 car. However, go to Sebring or the Glen or Road America in 2 weeks, and the C3 fields will be full. My point was that, due to the near-spec nature of C3 (and C4 and C5), it is not quite the relative arms race as the letter classes have become. Again, IMO.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:30 AM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

And I am living, breathing proof of this profundity.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:08 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, Danny-boy,

Allow me to opine a bit, if you will, about upsides/downsides..

You will find some of THE best racing talent in PCA in E. I have been priveleged to work with a number of the very top drivers in this class nationwide. So your talent would fit right in, if you could just learn how to lose the skirt. The challenge is that the "stock" in E stock is euphemistic. PCA has allowed SO much scope-creep in this (and other) letter classes, it is comical. So in many ways, it has become a pure money class despite the packaging as a "stock" class. And so you have to pay to play, especially with regard to suspensions. There are exceptions: I have one client in E who has not spent $10,000+ for a high end remote reservoir suspension, and yet he kicks serious *** in a lesser car due to pure raw talent and mindset.

SPB also has some of THE finest racers in PCA, with a lot less scope creep. There is near parity in cars, with only minor variances. The folks whho know set up, and tires, and their own talent, shine. I have also been priveleged to have worked & work with some of the very best SPB drivers in PCA.

GTC3 (996 Cup) is by far my all time favorite car to drive and race. It's pure and fast and a blast and a half. I have a number of C3 clients as well. As Randy said, it is a major financial commitment to be competitive, mostly on tires. There is great talent in GTC3 as well (along with 4 and 5). Also, like SPB, a lot less variance based on $$$ spent.

JMHO...
VR - Thanks for the comments. I'm disturbed by the "scope-creep", as you call it. I have had PCA putting black boxes in my car all year and have had to comply with requests to demonstrate proper gearing, R&P, etc. This, to me, indicates PCA is trying to limit scope creep.

My whole mission is to get in a class where it is not an arms race and scope creep is limited. AND I want to enjoy driving the car. The transition from my GT4 car to Skirtster has been challenging, but the car is sterile compared to what I was used to. I fear a move to spec skirtster will be even worse, although I am thoroughly intrigued by the number of cars.

Are you sure that the creep in e-class is as bad as you say?? Seems to me that one of the top runners is a Scrut - I would think this would help to limit creep (what i would refer to as offing cheating)
Old 08-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

haha this thread is getting better by the minute

E is great....drivers are respectful of one another and while yes the car can make a big difference (as with any class/letter or not) you can do well with a car that isnt a marvel of engineering..
granted yes there are some cars with some serious money in them and a good driver and they are VERY hard to catch...there are others as mentioned that dont and seem to be pretty close...most developed car with the best driver should be the fastest REGARDLESS Of class etc...but i think E has a good fairly level mix....

Look at the race Fred and I had this year at watkins...holy crap that was fun...i mean i woulda been smiling even if i didnt somehow win....very respectful driver, gave room when it was due (sometimes when it was not but haha), no blocking, looked out for each other when it got hairy etc.....i think almost all the regulars in the E crowd are like that. (Except GaryR hahahaha)

Just look at the list for Road America....HOLY CRAP TALENT>>>>>i tihnk that might be the race of the year....one day ill make that long road trip.

Dan, i sent an email to a friend and told him to get in touch with you as he was thinking of selling his car, ....

P.S. i think the scope creep is more of the "stock" label with jrz/motons etc in a 1980s car....and for all those asking to remove a passenger seat. MUHAHA
Old 08-13-2014, 12:33 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't care what class you pick, you're going to spend $$ to make the car competitive. Even in the spec classes, you're going to spend money to maximize to the extent of the rules and then buy tires like crazy to have that edge or to at least compete with those at the front.

If you are not the competitive type and are happy just to be there going around the track, you don't need to spend the money. I foolishly thought I could do just that. I couldn't. Thousands of $ later....let's just say if I'm not at or near the front of the class, it's not the car.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MRW
And I am living, breathing proof of this profundity.

IMO, pretty much all of PCA racing has become an arm's race to some extent (maybe with the exception of SP1-2). But it's all relative. I see no reason to single out E class.

Bottom line: the guys winning big races in most classes are all very good drivers who are usually driving very good cars. A $$$ E or F or G car doesn't just drive itself.

And as far as "rules creep" goes, with the exception of remote res shocks in stock classes, the rules changes since I've been racing (2009) have been good ones. They have given us better, safer, race cars with minimal cost increase. A custom Steve Wong chip is just not that expensive. And neither is removing interior trim.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:08 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, pretty much all of PCA racing has become an arm's race to some extent (maybe with the exception of SP1-2). But it's all relative. I see no reason to single out E class.

Bottom line: the guys winning big races in most classes are all very good drivers who are usually driving very good cars. A $$$ E or F or G car doesn't just drive itself.

And as far as "rules creep" goes, with the exception of remote res shocks in stock classes, the rules changes since I've been racing (2009) have been good ones. They have given us better, safer, race cars with minimal cost increase. A custom Steve Wong chip is just not that expensive. And neither is removing interior trim.
Well said. Try it out Dan. I applaud you wanting to follow the competition.

What do you want for your Boxster and where can I see it locally?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:22 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Der ABT;11573423]E is great....drivers are respectful of one another and while yes the car can make a big difference (as with any class/letter or not) you can do well with a car that isnt a marvel of engineering..

This is the best part of E. Great racing with guys that respect each other. Really well said.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:55 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 08-13-2014, 05:02 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats funny ****, Doc.

No wonder our health insurance is so expensive. Gotta pay for you guys to goof off.

How about we trade cars, Doc.......I need to update my avatar soon, anyway.

Last edited by danielyonker; 08-13-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

I have a competitive 944 Turbo E stock for sale. 3rd in National points 2011 and 12.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-race-car.html

I don't have the time to compete it effectively anymore, otherwise I would be staying E Stock.

As others have said, large groups, good racing, respectful drivers, and reasonable operating costs. Although "reasonable" is a highly subjective word!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 AM
John Milne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daniel,

Sent you a PM

John

Quick Reply: E-Stock