E-Stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:21 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default E-Stock

Boys and Girl (what has become of Karen England?) -

Thinking about E-Stock next year. Based on my experience/observations and a review of the rules, it looks like an 81-83 911 SC or a 87-89 911 is the car to have. If anyone knows of a competitive car that is for sale, or if they are interested in a competitive F-Stock trade, drop me a PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:32 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take a serious look at Mike Walsdorf's 944. It may be F, can't remember, but it's a nice car that's been developed over a long time. Shouldn't be too much to go from E to F, if necessary.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:42 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know of a nicely developed GT4 car and can get you in touch with the new owner...

...if you're interested, of course.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:54 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure the SC would be competitive.

"Prepared" SC rules allow flares/wider wheels, and cambering front suspension which is an advantage, and a "Euro" Ring and Pinion, which helps acceleration, and bigger brakes, which probably doesn't mean much.

On clear track, this set-up might be competitive on momentum, but in traffic, and/or passing situations, where you have to go off-line, the 3.2 Carrara has a significant advantage in HP and torque, which makes it almost unbeatable accelerating out of turns.

I'd stick with a 3.2.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the 81-83 Euro SC (not USA SC) that has been the traditional E class killer. Or at least it's the weapon of choice for the E class killers.

Walsdorf's car is awesome and it's fully E stock. A well driven S2 can certainly give the 911s a run.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:41 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Not sure the SC would be competitive.

"Prepared" SC rules allow flares/wider wheels, and cambering front suspension which is an advantage, and a "Euro" Ring and Pinion, which helps acceleration, and bigger brakes, which probably doesn't mean much.

On clear track, this set-up might be competitive on momentum, but in traffic, and/or passing situations, where you have to go off-line, the 3.2 Carrara has a significant advantage in HP and torque, which makes it almost unbeatable accelerating out of turns.

I'd stick with a 3.2.
Yes - I forgot to mention the euro. Jim Bukley's car - and he is no slouch.

The 3.2 would be nice, especially with the G50. Weight distribution will be better in the SC, I imagine. Both cars have identical power to weight ratios, but we know how that goes.

I have never driven a 944 on the track, but have raced against some fast ones, for sure. I think I will go back to old school air cooled rear engine - the stuff I really dig and enjoy driving. Unless a really nice 996 cup comes along......
Old 08-12-2014, 06:08 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Screw E Stock. Come race where the field is growing. SPB!!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:33 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, the Euro SC would be competitive but they are pretty rare. Also I believe the rules now allow chips in the 3.2... still gives them a HP/Torque advantage exiting turns... makes passing awful hard.

Check some of the other threads, but my take-away was that the chipped 3.2 is still the car to beat.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:45 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S

and a "Euro" Ring and Pinion
Just go with 15's and you get the R&P change.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:55 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Screw E Stock. Come race where the field is growing. SPB!!
Dawe would go out of business if yonks moved to spb... Not gonna happen. Also i think he's intimidated that another pca class points championship wouldn't be a sure thing...

Although i hink he would give matt(s) and keith a run for their money... That's some actuon i'd like to see.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 PM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

or sp1/2/3 class
in the glen this year 58 cars, last year 60 cars....just saying

Dan, I still have my 04 gt3 cup for sale
Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
Yes - I forgot to mention the euro. Jim Bukley's car - and he is no slouch.

The 3.2 would be nice, especially with the G50. Weight distribution will be better in the SC, I imagine. Both cars have identical power to weight ratios, but we know how that goes.

I have never driven a 944 on the track, but have raced against some fast ones, for sure. I think I will go back to old school air cooled rear engine - the stuff I really dig and enjoy driving. Unless a really nice 996 cup comes along......
Gt4 car is more fun than 996 cup...and burns money at a slower rate

Buy gt4 car back

Problem with E car is it's a...PCA letter car...doesn't fit many other places
Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 AM
danielyonker
Pro

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Dawe would go out of business if yonks moved to spb... Not gonna happen. Also i think he's intimidated that another pca class points championship wouldn't be a sure thing...

Although i think he would give matt(s) and keith a run for their money... That's some actuon i'd like to see.
Crawford, are you implying that F Class and E Class are not competitive and that that winning the championship is a cake walk? Check out the respective number of entries of all races this year. The most popular are E, F and SPB.

SPB is not out of the question, just not next season.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 766 Posts

Hey, Danny-boy,

Allow me to opine a bit, if you will, about upsides/downsides..

You will find some of THE best racing talent in PCA in E. I have been priveleged to work with a number of the very top drivers in this class nationwide. So your talent would fit right in, if you could just learn how to lose the skirt. The challenge is that the "stock" in E stock is euphemistic. PCA has allowed SO much scope-creep in this (and other) letter classes, it is comical. So in many ways, it has become a pure money class despite the packaging as a "stock" class. And so you have to pay to play, especially with regard to suspensions. There are exceptions: I have one client in E who has not spent $10,000+ for a high end remote reservoir suspension, and yet he kicks serious *** in a lesser car due to pure raw talent and mindset.

SPB also has some of THE finest racers in PCA, with a lot less scope creep. There is near parity in cars, with only minor variances. The folks whho know set up, and tires, and their own talent, shine. I have also been priveleged to have worked & work with some of the very best SPB drivers in PCA.

GTC3 (996 Cup) is by far my all time favorite car to drive and race. It's pure and fast and a blast and a half. I have a number of C3 clients as well. As Randy said, it is a major financial commitment to be competitive, mostly on tires. There is great talent in GTC3 as well (along with 4 and 5). Also, like SPB, a lot less variance based on $$$ spent.

JMHO...
Old 08-13-2014, 10:28 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
Crawford, are you implying that F Class and E Class are not competitive and that that winning the championship is a cake walk? Check out the respective number of entries of all races this year. The most popular are E, F and SPB.

SPB is not out of the question, just not next season.
You're easy to unravel yonkie von-sennamacher... E and F are indeed quite competitive; however, as the learned VR states, they are much much more car-dependent than any of the spec classes. I am quite confident that Dawe could build an E car that could run at the front, but the question would remain whether it was the great driving prowess of The Yonker or the constructor of the car that should receive the accolades... come to SPB or run in GTC3, and I think there is a better chance for you to let your driving skills shine in the spotlight and you can once and for all prove your superiority over the rest of us lowly hacks.

Quick Reply: E-Stock