Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY! The 3.8L PDK Cayman has another home in Club Racing!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default FINALLY! The 3.8L PDK Cayman has another home in Club Racing!

After some lobbying, we have managed to find yet another home for the Cayman with 3.8L DFI X51 power in Club Racing. The SCCA's Touring 1 class which has some relatively stiff competition, has a line item now for essentially what was our 2013 Championship winning Rolex GX car.

A link to the GCR can be found here on p.797:

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...R%20August.pdf

HIGHLIGHTS:
Min Weight - 2900 lbs
Engine - Whatever engine Porsche makes! (we are going to go with the Carrera GTS engine for now, until our Cayman sequential project is over, then maybe GT3?)
Transmission - Free (we are going to use PDK)
Suspension - Full solid with a permitted 1" offset.
Brakes - Free up to 355mm along with factory ABS and 6-piston calipers.
Flywheel - Lightweight flywheel allowed.
Tires / Wheels - Tires/wheels are free.
Additional: - 50lbs extra for modified rear suspensions. Who wants to install a 997 rear subframe??!?! , full carbon fiber body work allowed, lexan, shocks, etc.

This is going to be a great car and with the 2015 SCCA National Championship Runoffs coming to Daytona next year, we know what our goals for next year are!

Thank you Sports Car Club of America!

2013 Detroit GP - Dr. Jim Norman qualifies outside pole to split a pair of factory backed Mazda GX diesel prototype GT cars. We finished 2nd and went on to win the Team and Driver's Championship after the final race at Lime Rock Park in September 2013.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

John,

Your customers can also run such a car with the Porsche Owners Club (POC) on the West Coast. It could run GT2 as-is or restrict the RWHP a bit to bring the car back to GT3.

Cheers,
Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 PM
captdownshift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to double check with PCA as on the surface the build sounds like it couldGTB2 class friendly
Old 08-14-2014, 05:20 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

I saw some custom 3.8 Caymans registered as GTB2 at a race earlier this year, but I think that was a mistake. Porsche never made a 3.8 Cayman. My reading is that a 3.8 cayman should not be allowed as GTB2

Just saying

Originally Posted by captdownshift
You may want to double check with PCA as on the surface the build sounds like it couldGTB2 class friendly
Old 08-14-2014, 05:23 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2011 Ram/2500 Diesel (autocross)

Just noticed this Dan....well done!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:42 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
2011 Ram/2500 Diesel (autocross)

Just noticed this Dan....well done!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:08 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm available to drive
Old 08-15-2014, 12:29 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Duane,

Thanks to you, there is very much a home for these cars on the west coast but on the east coast, the ITC series seems to be supporting the brand a lot but no one else. My intentions are to try and find as many homes for this car and I think it's great you guys have that out there.

I keep getting inquiries and requests about running something like this in the 25 hours at Thunderhill. Do you guys ever think about taking a Cayman to that event? What about a pool of interested Rennlisters? Get Mooty into it. If got enough customers, it might be fun.

Originally Posted by Krokodil
John,

Your customers can also run such a car with the Porsche Owners Club (POC) on the West Coast. It could run GT2 as-is or restrict the RWHP a bit to bring the car back to GT3.

Cheers,
Old 08-15-2014, 01:58 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I saw some custom 3.8 Caymans registered as GTB2 at a race earlier this year, but I think that was a mistake. Porsche never made a 3.8 Cayman. My reading is that a 3.8 cayman should not be allowed as GTB2

Just saying
I don't see anything in 2014 rules that would exclude a 3.8L cayman from running gtb2.

Class GTB
Normally aspirated 996 or 997 (excluding GT3) or Cayman S and R production street cars modified according to the rules for these
classes. See table in weights section for minimum weights by model and engine, which include an additional 100 pounds for PDK
transmissions. PDK cars, except for those available only with the PDK, must include a “P” in their front and rear class lettering so that
the Scrutineers will be able to know what a car’s minimum weight is - (for example, “B1P”).

GTB2: cars with displacement over 3.6L displacement, and the 2014 Cayman S.
A. Drivetrain: Cars must have an unmodified production engine, transmission and gears, ECU, and chassis. While the ECUs
must remain stock, the flash (programming) is free. Flywheels may be replaced with a single mass, ferrous (magnetic)
material flywheel; clutch disk must remain the stock diameter. Caymans may have an underdrive pulley for the power
steering belt. For this class, the engine begins at the input to the MAF, and ends where the exhaust manifold is
attached. The oiling modifications allowed under Stock 1.K. are permitted.
B. Suspension: Bushing materials are free. Suspension pick-up points and components must remain stock except that GT3
or GT3 Cup lower control arms and GT3 adjustable rear toe links are allowed. Springs, shocks, and camber plates are
free.
C. Bodywork: Bodywork changes are limited to those found on a GT3 Cup; if a wing is used it must be a GT3 wing or
factory non-extended 996 or 997 through model year 2009 GT3 Cup wing. Cayman based cars may also use the Cayman
Interseries or ITC wing. The permitted wing may be raised to improve rear visibility, but no more than 4'8" above the
ground at the top of the wing, and may be no farther to the rear than it would be if in its standard position.
Modifications to the underside of the vehicle for improving aerodynamics are not allowed.
D. Other GT modifications are allowed.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ the rules do not allow for engine swaps for an engine from a completely different model.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

I thought this was pretty definitive..

"Cars must have an unmodified production engine, transmission and gears, ECU, and chassis"

If not, I am going to put a stock GT3 engine and Stock (shorter) 996 Cup gearbox in my 997 chassis. Aww heck.. Who am I kidding? A "stock" cup engine.

The extra point of clarity is the Class Weight Tables at the end of the rule book.

Originally Posted by jcastle
I don't see anything in 2014 rules that would exclude a 3.8L cayman from running gtb2.

Class GTB
Normally aspirated 996 or 997 (excluding GT3) or Cayman S and R production street cars modified according to the rules for these
classes. See table in weights section for minimum weights by model and engine, which include an additional 100 pounds for PDK
transmissions. PDK cars, except for those available only with the PDK, must include a “P” in their front and rear class lettering so that
the Scrutineers will be able to know what a car’s minimum weight is - (for example, “B1P”).

GTB2: cars with displacement over 3.6L displacement, and the 2014 Cayman S.
A. Drivetrain: Cars must have an unmodified production engine, transmission and gears, ECU, and chassis. While the ECUs
must remain stock, the flash (programming) is free. Flywheels may be replaced with a single mass, ferrous (magnetic)
material flywheel; clutch disk must remain the stock diameter. Caymans may have an underdrive pulley for the power
steering belt. For this class, the engine begins at the input to the MAF, and ends where the exhaust manifold is
attached. The oiling modifications allowed under Stock 1.K. are permitted.
B. Suspension: Bushing materials are free. Suspension pick-up points and components must remain stock except that GT3
or GT3 Cup lower control arms and GT3 adjustable rear toe links are allowed. Springs, shocks, and camber plates are
free.
C. Bodywork: Bodywork changes are limited to those found on a GT3 Cup; if a wing is used it must be a GT3 wing or
factory non-extended 996 or 997 through model year 2009 GT3 Cup wing. Cayman based cars may also use the Cayman
Interseries or ITC wing. The permitted wing may be raised to improve rear visibility, but no more than 4'8" above the
ground at the top of the wing, and may be no farther to the rear than it would be if in its standard position.
Modifications to the underside of the vehicle for improving aerodynamics are not allowed.
D. Other GT modifications are allowed.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:09 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't forget the 3.8 Cayman can run in NASA with as many mods as you want. it will slot into GTS-4 or 5 depending on HP and weight.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well done John. I assume there are no concerns on your part with the factory ABS unit?
Old 08-16-2014, 03:47 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Bgb's Cayman has modified gear ratios in addition to an engine swap. Not GTB legal.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:23 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Tell me more. There is a Daytona NASA event Halloween weekend and I think we want to register and shakedown and run there. I used to run NASA when I lived in So Cal; I ran the 25hours of Thunderhill 5 years in a row almost winning it overall by 23 seconds in a Honda in the 5th and final year. I LOVE NASA! Thanks Mike!

Originally Posted by mikew968
Don't forget the 3.8 Cayman can run in NASA with as many mods as you want. it will slot into GTS-4 or 5 depending on HP and weight.

Quick Reply: FINALLY! The 3.8L PDK Cayman has another home in Club Racing!