Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

2014 Belgian Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default spa

^^^ If you tried an outside pass on me going into a right left combo I would leave the same amount of room. Entering from the inside of the corner that is about as tight a line as you can pull off. I have been in this very situation both defending and attacking. Very low percentage move saved for the last lap of the race at best. Rosberg flat spotted his tires doing an equally similar bad attempt at a pass later in the race.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ A picture says a thousand words.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:57 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
^^^ A picture says a thousand words.
+1

Couldn't be more clear. "Racing room" my ***! Where was Hammy supposed to go?!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That was a secondary correction after the back end slid out and he corrected to the left. The picture is taken out of context and does not show intent.

Rosberg was an idiot. He pushed it too tight and hit Hamilton. It should have been an in race penalty with avoidable contact. I am pretty sure it would have been if they had not been on the same team. Vettel tried the exact same move but had better speed and still realized that he needed to back out the previous lap.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

I see a gap….
Old 08-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I see a gap….
If the gap is there, take it:

Old 08-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Ill advised low percentage move on Nico's but I think its a racing incident. Looked like NR tried the move then unsuccessfully to back out.
Hamilton could have given more room (to a teammate) in enlightened self interest though not obligated to. I make it less his fault. It all happens so fast and we know that there is bad blood there that that influences decisions subconsciously if not consciously.

Rosberg's damage could have been far greater and he had no way of knowing it would not be himself parked offtrack with broken suspension etc. so I don't see him intentionally spearing Hamilton.

The team know these guys were going to be very close and must have said for gawds sake give each other ample room. Not the first time drovers ignored team orders i guess.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Same move Hamilton pulled on Massa in Singapore 2011. Massa got the puncture and Hamilton the broken front wing and a penalty. Then they had a row in the media pen after the race.

Rich
Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4.6
Ill advised low percentage move on Nico's but I think its a racing incident. Looked like NR tried the move then unsuccessfully to back out.
Hamilton could have given more room (to a teammate) in enlightened self interest though not obligated to. I make it less his fault. It all happens so fast and we know that there is bad blood there that that influences decisions subconsciously if not consciously.

Rosberg's damage could have been far greater and he had no way of knowing it would not be himself parked offtrack with broken suspension etc. so I don't see him intentionally spearing Hamilton.

The team know these guys were going to be very close and must have said for gawds sake give each other ample room. Not the first time drovers ignored team orders i guess.
+1 That was nothing more than what happened at Hungary except that there Nico was more "giving" and they didn't hit.
And enough of these demands for penalties on every little touch and "blocking". There's already too much and all they do is discourage those guys from racing hard, wheel to wheel.

Look back at Hakkinen's pass on Schumi at the same spot where Magnussen blocked Alonso and especially what Schumi did the lap before (Mika's pass).
No penalties back then, nor demands for them. Now it was automatical and nobody was against it. Times have changed, let's not change them even more.
I can't believe the number of folks wanting to give Nico a penalty for that when the standard complain is that FIA/judges interfere too much.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Perspective from Button on the unavoidable inevitable racing incident that was the fault of immature Hamilton's aggressive driving:

"I feel for Lewis, he was leading the race...It is unbelievable," Button told Press Association Sport.

"I've never seen such bad luck, or misjudgment on other people's part, for Lewis to lose so many points over a period of races.

"It's astonishing, really. I've never seen that before, especially when you have a car that is so dominant and they should be first and second every race.

"It is just a matter of fighting it out and beating your team-mate, although I know that takes its toll.

"But for me Lewis has come across really well in the media after some disappointing races.

"He has definitely grown as an individual, which is good to see, and has taken it on the chin.

"Hopefully it will build his confidence for the rest of the season rather than shatter it."

Button also felt Rosberg should've "judged the situation better".

"There was nothing there," he said.

"All there was was going off the circuit. There was no move. Strange.

"I think any driver would look at it now, and I am sure Nico will look at it and say, 'I don't know what was I thinking'.

"You should be able to judge situations like that a bit better."
Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

The race was 44 laps long and Merc had one of their cars essentially knocked out in lap 2? WTF!!!........there has to be a serious sit down by all senior staff with drivers otherwise Red Bull will sneak up and ****** it all away.

Great to see Kimi do well, hope it continues
Old 08-27-2014, 10:42 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
......there has to be a serious sit down by all senior staff with drivers otherwise Red Bull will sneak up and ****** it all away.

Go Ricciardo!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:35 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
It's the 'beside' part that's the problem because Nico didn't really get there.

It looked like a low percentage move, tried on the wrong driver.

Best,

Matt
Sorry, you are right, I should have phrased that better... Nico was clearly not right beside Hamilton when they hit.

I believe Rosberg was pushing the limits of traction and he positioned the car poorly. I also believe Hamilton picks his line and drives with his "elbows out" repeatedly. Meaning he never concedes a line in battle, and plays aggressive such that the other drivers have to concede. This is one of the traits that has made him so damn competitive and successful. This time it bit him in the... left rear tire!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

^^ I agree and will add that I think some are missing the point of the episode because Nico was never going to pass there. The only difference this time as compared to Bahrain and Hungary was that Nico was not going to let Lewis dictate track space as he had before. Certainly high risk because it could have taken them both out, but so too could Lewis have taken both out in Hungary when he shoved Nico off track. If Nico would have held his ground in Hungary, I think both would have been out of the race -- on the last lap -- and how would that have played at Mercedes headquarters?

At this point it's all head games for the balance of the season. If Lewis knows that Nico isn't going to be bullied off track, then he'll think twice about pinching him as the points gap clearly favors Nico with only 7 to go and LH can't afford anymore DNFs
Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/...press-briefing

Quick Reply: 2014 Belgian Grand Prix