4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

2014 Belgian Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

After the race Nico said he was going to reserve comment until he saw the video- I presume that he has by now- has he gone on the record with his take on the incident?

I generally favor NR and even though a racing incident IMHO, I make it more 65/35 against him in terms of fault.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

…...
Old 08-28-2014, 12:46 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Ricciardo!!!
What happened to Alonso at the end? worn tires??
I would love to see André Lotterer on a better car someday...
Old 08-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Nico Apologizes and takes blame.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115620

"During this meeting, Nico acknowledged his responsibility for the contact that occurred on lap two of the Belgian Grand Prix and apologised for this error of judgement.

"Suitable disciplinary measures have been taken for the incident. "Mercedes-Benz remains committed to hard, fair racing because this is the right way to win world championships. It is good for the team, for the fans and for Formula 1.

"Lewis and Nico understand and accept the team's number one rule: there must be no contact between the team's cars on track. "It has been made clear that another such incident will not be tolerated.
But Nico and Lewis are our drivers and we believe in them."
Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 AM
PPo
Drifting

The horse is dead... bring on Monza!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Picture of Nico being lectured by Mercedes management:
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2014, 01:33 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Picture of Nico being lectured by Mercedes management:
Old 08-29-2014, 01:39 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Nico's new tat
Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

The Tweets of Mercedes asking social media what they should do is so symbolic of their poor leadership

"The row over the lap two incident between the two has garnered huge attention over the past five days, with Mercedes themselves taking to social media to gauge public opinion with the tweet: “Would you suspend a driver for a race and not maximise constructors’ points? Perhaps you’d set the order at quali slots?” and also asking “To those who would prefer to see team orders implemented, how would you employ them?” As one might expect opinion was as split as it has been on this forum."
Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Mercedes sounds just like McLaren insofar as they say "We let our driver's race". Bull****! You either tell your driver's to race each other or you don't! Aanything else is manipulation of race results!

Rosberg just doesn't have the stomach to tell MB managment to stuff it and let them race and that it was a racing incident. How times have changed from the time of Senna (Not saying that Senna taking out Prost to secure the title was right because that was premediated, but compare the Senna/Prost incident with the Rosberg/Hamilton "touch" and you can see how soft F1 has become).

28 August 2014 – If Ross Brawn was still in charge at Mercedes, the collision between Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton at the Belgian Grand Prix would not have happened. That is the view of former team boss Eddie Jordan.

Rosberg clipped the rear of Hamilton's car on the second lap of last weekend's race at Spa-Francorchamps, giving the Briton a puncture that would lead to retirement and hurting his own efforts with front wing damage.

Jordan, whose team ran for more than a decade, feels that Mercedes is lacking a consistent approach after Brawn's exit, with Toto Wolff (Business) and Paddy Lowe (Technical) stepping up to take on the responsibilities.

"I blame the team," Jordan explained during an interview with TalkSPORT. "They say they let the drivers race but they don't because at Hungary Rosberg was told he could pass Hamilton, Hamilton was told to let him go and he didn't let him go. How can you say you don't have team orders but you actually do? It's a nonsense."

Jordan referred to Brawn's actions at last year's Malaysian Grand Prix, when he repeatedly ordered Rosberg to hold station behind third-placed Hamilton and ensure maximum points, albeit with both men running out of fuel.

"I remember when Ross said to Rosberg in Malaysia last year 'no, you cannot pass Lewis'," Jordan said. "If Ross was there in that team it would be a different show. They would have finished first and second [in Belgium]."

Jordan says Rosberg and Hamilton are being given too much leeway in their respective quests for title glory.

"It's weak. The guys there are really good guys, but they don't have the experience and they don't have Ross and, at the moment, they are rudderless," he added. "They are being run by two drivers who are like spoilt kids."
Old 09-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pete,

Forget it. The World today is so bu$$yfooted (in all areas, racing included) that things like what happened before would be tolerated...
Imagine one of those guys lighting up a cigarette after the race for example... Imagine the press it would get?! This would be nothing compared to that.

And they all comply, Kimi being the lone exception (and getting flak for that) but don't think Nico is one of the softer ones. He sure seems that way but has Keke behind him and trust me, that matters.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:32 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Pete,

Forget it. The World today is so bu$$yfooted (in all areas, racing included) that things like what happened before would be tolerated...
Imagine one of those guys lighting up a cigarette after the race for example... Imagine the press it would get?! This would be nothing compared to that.

And they all comply, Kimi being the lone exception (and getting flak for that) but don't think Nico is one of the softer ones. He sure seems that way but has Keke behind him and trust me, that matters.
When I watch old racing videos where they are smoking and they have pretty girls hanging all over them I long for that time. I think it was Stirling Moss who was being interviewed and said to the interviewer something like "what am I talking to you for when there are all these pretty girls hanging around?"

The world has gotten too PC. Its ridiculous.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:28 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree but I'll put up with PC if we can ditch DRS, artificially degrading tires and "power units" and go back to no TC, tire wars, and 900 horsepower V10s.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:17 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Nico has sent the message to Hammy as well and MB. He won't be a pushover. It doesn't really matter that publicly he has apologized. Bottom line is, Hammy will think twice next time he tries to cut across.

I have more respect for Nico as in the past he always seemed to look soft. I saw the video a few times and to me it seemed like Hammy was cutting across as much as Nico was sticking his nose in. Racing incident, nothing more.

Watch Hammy go crying back to McLaren. The fact that neither party wants to talk future is a good in indication that not all is well between MB and Hammy. MB has seen enough proof that Nico has what it takes against one of the best. They have their driver long term and he is German. Case closed.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Nico has sent the message to Hammy as well and MB. He won't be a pushover. It doesn't really matter that publicly he has apologized. Bottom line is, Hammy will think twice next time he tries to cut across.

I have more respect for Nico as in the past he always seemed to look soft. I saw the video a few times and to me it seemed like Hammy was cutting across as much as Nico was sticking his nose in. Racing incident, nothing more.

Watch Hammy go crying back to McLaren. The fact that neither party wants to talk future is a good in indication that not all is well between MB and Hammy. MB has seen enough proof that Nico has what it takes against one of the best. They have their driver long term and he is German. Case closed.
I would take a driver like Hammy over Nico any day of the week. Nico is a dispassionate technical driver. You win racers and get points but I don't think he is a "great racer" in the traditional sense. I actually think he is one of he most boring guys running up front. The move he tried on Hammy wasn't "ballsy" - it was passive aggressive.

Quick Reply: 2014 Belgian Grand Prix