McNish's Take on Ferrari and Alonso

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Wow, Lying Finn's famous blinders are really on today. Sounds like someone is bitter that Kimi is getting a beating hon one ever imagined.

Interestingly, you prefer getting rid of the one thing that has been consistent and has actually worked at Ferrari, Alonso and his driving.

What are your opinions on the job Kimi has done this yr?
Sorry but it is not working.

Alonso, Ricciardo & Hammy have been driving the best this season (there, I said Alonso everyone can calm a bit) but the combination is just not working, they're going the wrong direction and need a major change, including Alonso.

I think he'll be a McLaren driver (because of Honda) next season and it will be better in the end for both (Alonso & Ferrari).
Old 09-27-2014, 09:42 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Saying Riccardo is Italian is like saying I'm Scottish. Just because someone has certain name does not make them from that country. Riccardo is all Aussie. Of course with that said, that does not mean he could not jump ship to Ferrari. But I have to ask why would he jump to the Italian Donkey Cart maker? Red Bull is the 2nd best car on the grid and while it's impossible to say what will happen next year, the betting man would assume Riccardo would stay at Red Bull at least one more season if Renault would learn their mistakes from this season and produce something more in line with what Mercedes has. But I totally see Alonso moving to McLaren next season, especially if Honda will have a good power plant. Of course it is silly season.
Snowback,

Please look at this:

Ricciardo pronounces his name 'Ricardo' instead of the Italian pronunciation 'Rit-char-do', saying that is how his family pronounces it.[2] His father was born in Sicily and his mother's family comes from Calabria.[6]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Ricciardo

Last time I looked both Sicily and Calabria are still part of Italia.
So, by birth he is Italian.

Riccardo is not a fool. If Modena asks he should go. It would put pressure on Reneualt to fix the motor.

As I have stated above in the Silly Season that stuff not said means more. Also remember Alonso ratted out McLaren in Spygate, so it might be a tougher negotiation. Not impossible but tough. I see Hammy coming back before Alonso.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be foolish for Ricciardo to go to Ferrari. Red Bull is 50 hp away from beating the Mercs straight up, and I can't believe that it won't be Renault's highest priority in the off-season. Also, as a newcomer, Horner has let him race with and pass Vettel, so he is certainly not a #2 in the team's eyes.

That said, back to Alonso and Ferrari. Alonso is arguably the best driver on the grid at the moment, but it takes more than driving to elevate a team to the highest level. It takes setup input, and driver feedback, and team leadership. Michael Schumacher had the best combination of that in the last decade. Whether Alonso has that total ability is suspect, and even with all of the brainy engineers on these teams, it still take a driver to sometimes tell the team what the car is doing wrong and what they have to work on to fix that. A fast car that feels wrong cannot be driven quicker over the long run than a slower car that feels fabulous. The fact that Alonso handily beats his teammates show what a driver he is. The fact that for the last 4 years the Ferrari has been a nervous and twitchy car leaves you to wonder about the other parts of his game.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
That said, back to Alonso and Ferrari. Alonso is arguably the best driver on the grid at the moment, but it takes more than driving to elevate a team to the highest level. It takes setup input, and driver feedback, and team leadership. Michael Schumacher had the best combination of that in the last decade. Whether Alonso has that total ability is suspect, and even with all of the brainy engineers on these teams, it still take a driver to sometimes tell the team what the car is doing wrong and what they have to work on to fix that. A fast car that feels wrong cannot be driven quicker over the long run than a slower car that feels fabulous. The fact that Alonso handily beats his teammates show what a driver he is. The fact that for the last 4 years the Ferrari has been a nervous and twitchy car leaves you to wonder about the other parts of his game.
With all due respect Larry, an F1 driver can only "develop" what the engineers give him to develop. It can only go so far. It's like suggesting Schumacher's feedback and leadership could have turned the Marussia (car and team) into a winner.

The Ferrari is down on power and their aero is not top-tier either. What is Alonso supposed to do with that? He's not an engine builder or an aerodynamic engineer.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Astroman
With all due respect Larry, an F1 driver can only "develop" what the engineers give him to develop. It can only go so far. It's like suggesting Schumacher's feedback and leadership could have turned the Marussia (car and team) into a winner.

The Ferrari is down on power and their aero is not top-tier either. What is Alonso supposed to do with that? He's not an engine builder or an aerodynamic engineer.
All due respect noted.

I did base my assessment on the last 4 years, not just on this year. Also, the budget, resources and engineering potential of Ferrari is a little more substantial than Marussia and should be giving Alonso a capable car to develop. But remember that I said that his development abilities MAY be suspect. It certainly could be that he is a great development driver as well and Ferrari has been producing doggy-doo ever since Ross Brawn was shown the door. We won't really know until Ferrari returns to the front with him driving, or he does go to McLaren and that car is transformed into a winner with his help.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:43 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
The only way Ferrari can get back on top is to get rid of Alonso (he's been there 4 years, costs a ton and the "magical car development skills" are nowhere to be found) and go 100% Jean Todt route: Forget you're Italian and only hire the best no matter where they're from.
But now with corp. mentality, I don't see much real creativity coming out of there so wouldn't hold my breath... Shame.
" I used to could..."

Honestly, if I were the head of their F1 department (and I'm not), I'd keep Kimi and let him be him (the way after Massa got hurt in Hungary and?or what Lotus did) and hire Hulk (assuming Aussie is not possible) or Bottas and try to lure some of the best Williams McL and/or Red Bull personnel onboard.

They need a new start.
Talk about delusional Finn...

What about saving money by running one car and then pursue the best engineering talent , after all , it's like they are running one car ....

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Sorry but it is not working.

Alonso, Ricciardo & Hammy have been driving the best this season (there, I said Alonso everyone can calm a bit) but the combination is just not working, they're going the wrong direction and need a major change, including Alonso.

I think he'll be a McLaren driver (because of Honda) next season and it will be better in the end for both (Alonso & Ferrari).

What should they do with Kimi ....

Old 09-29-2014, 07:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
^So you're saying get rid of the best driver in F1 because your engine engineers suck? C'mon man!

The only bright spot in that team has been Alonso. He's totally wiped his *** with Kimi (133 vs 45) and you're saying to keep Kimi and get rid of Alonso? Brother, you know that I will go through a wall for you, but your Suomi tinted glasses are blurring your vision.

The chassis is ok but the engine is the huge let down. They probably have the third best chassis (behind RedBull and Merc, in that order) but undoubtedly the worse engine in F1 today.

Ricciardo is the best young driver and he'd be my choice, so we both agree on that. If you can't bring him in, than go for Hulk or Bottas, but not for Alonso, for Kimi. Who knows maybe the rumors that Alonso is going to McLaren Honda are true.

I agree that they need to hire the best personnel no matter where they're from. At the top, I'd like to see Ross Brawn or Jean Todt, or they could go a completely different route and hire someone like Bruno Famin, Peugeot's Le Mans technical director or Ralf Jüttner or maybe Howden Haynes.

Knowing Ferrari they may just end up bringing back ol' Flava Flav.

Get rid of Alonso?
Hey easy on Petu, i heard he's been spending alot of time in Colorado, you know, for the skating ..

Old 10-01-2014, 01:24 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All due respect noted.

I did base my assessment on the last 4 years, not just on this year. Also, the budget, resources and engineering potential of Ferrari is a little more substantial than Marussia and should be giving Alonso a capable car to develop. But remember that I said that his development abilities MAY be suspect. It certainly could be that he is a great development driver as well and Ferrari has been producing doggy-doo ever since Ross Brawn was shown the door. We won't really know until Ferrari returns to the front with him driving, or he does go to McLaren and that car is transformed into a winner with his help.
Larry,
Do you really think Ron Dennis will forgive Freddy for Spygate? This is a guy who demands every office to be painted the same color. When you look under control freak Ron Dennis is one of the examples.

I think Ross Brawn could work with Alonso. But the key is Hamilton. If he gets the real or imagined shaft at Mercedes then all bets are off.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Alonso is being coy with the media about where he will be next year. Maybe this is just a tactic to pressure Ferrari or perhaps it is real.

In regards to the defense that a car is designed for a driver does anyone think Red Bull designed their car for Ricciardo and not Vettel. Sometimes one driver is better at overcoming issues and getting the most out of a car. Perhaps that is what Ricciardo is doing this year but it is DEFINATELY what Alonso has been doing for a number of years.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:42 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

There are a number of ways to look at it: I beleive that each driver has certain preferences and may adapt to a particular car's quirks relatively better than another driver, whose style is different. I don't think Fernando is THAT much better than Kimi, as 2014 results could suggest.

It also may be possible that the Ferraris of recent years have been developed more closely to Fernando's style which may have exaggerated his pace advantage over Massa.

A car is not always designed for a driver, but it will inevitably suit certain drivers better than others, whether by design or by chance.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:20 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Development by driver and/or engineers is a ridiculous point to be arguing considering how little testing they do nowadays especially when compared to the "racing-between-tests" mentality during the "Schumacher" era. The driver today even more so than before has little to do with what kind/type of car he has to drive.

Seb "Ricciardo is faster than you" Vettel is leaving RB to who knows where and I would be very shocked if Alonso is not with McLaren/Honda next year.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:40 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems that vettel is going to Ferrari next year.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:09 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is what I am hearing from Suzuka qualifying in the wee hours of this morning. Vettel to Ferrari, Alonso to Mclaren/Honda
Old 10-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

In one morning, everything is already decided. Vettel to Ferrari because he can and wants to (like his hero Michael), Alonso to McLaren because they need him (Magnussen should be faster than Button but he is not, hence he is not the future like Ricciardo is for Red Bull) and Hamilton will stay with Mercedes because they have no reason to part ways on either side.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:32 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In one morning, everything is already decided. Vettel to Ferrari because he can and wants to (like his hero Michael), Alonso to McLaren because they need him (Magnussen should be faster than Button but he is not, hence he is not the future like Ricciardo is for Red Bull) and Hamilton will stay with Mercedes because they have no reason to part ways on either side.
and so the story goes..hopefully they go back to NA..maybe not next year...These dumb azz rulz make it impossible for underfunded teams to compete.

Quick Reply: McNish's Take on Ferrari and Alonso