Sponsored by:

Video of Jules Bianchi crash

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:15 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
With just a helmet in pouring rain, no windshield, no wipers, with water spraying from cars in front, you'd be lucky if you see the lights of the car in front of you, much less someone waving flags from hundred yards away.
Lucky? It's your responsibility as a driver to see the flags AND act accordingly....
Old 10-09-2014, 03:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Lucky? It's your responsibility as a driver to see the flags AND act accordingly....
I know. That's one of the reasons I don't race open wheel/helmet, much less in pouring rain.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:43 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 210 Posts

They have these things called radios and steering wheels that communicate lots of information. I assure you that every driver on track knew a car was off in that corner, it was a yellow flag condition, and a safety vehicle was out on track.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:54 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Another sad irony here; don't forget that Maria Villota also suffered her accident in a Marrusia.
This was the first thing that came to mind.
When these cars are on a section that is yellow flagged, or in a pit lane, paddock, etc. race control should be able to remotely engage speed limiters. It might have saved Maria Villota as well.
And those dump trucks on track, they should be retrofitted with a safer barrier around them. But either way, it should never have been allowed on that side of the wall without the safety car out. Unbelievable that they could be so negligent.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
pretty sure there are no yellow lights around sazuka....only flags.
Several of the on board steering wheel screens were not working because of the water as shown by the world feed...
with the spray which im sure made it hard to see the flaggers, no track caution lights, no display on the steering wheel....he may not have even known it was a yellow in that section......
Great points.... looking at what I could find, your are right, there are no electronic flag lights at the Suzuka track. That may be the one thing the FIA or FOMC mandate for all F1 tracks, that there be electronic flag displays to supplement the manually waved flags at all tracks.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
With just a helmet in pouring rain, no windshield, no wipers, with water spraying from cars in front, you'd be lucky if you see the lights of the car in front of you, much less someone waving flags from hundred yards away.
As us car owners should well know, when at speed, the aero can clear a substantial amount of water from windows .. .it keeps my 997.2 back window clear on the highway without a wiper.

There is a small wind deflector at the leading edge of the cockpit. I would expect the design might well be to flow air over the facemask of the drivers to have that air push off any water droplets. Presumably the drivers visors are clearer than the onboard cameras covered in droplets. Of course ,for aero drag reasons, I could well be wrong.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:23 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

Given the state he is in- is it to the point pulling the plug on him by his immediate family. Don't know much about that specific injury he suffered but if prognosis is he'll remain in a vegetative state- I like my immediate family to pull the plug on me. Way the type of brain injury he sustained- sounds grim to me. Mike
Old 10-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bottas (who passed that point before Bianci) said it was marked correctly with double yellows which also was shown on car's display.
He said in his opinion there was no problem in seeing the yellows.
He saw the green flags after the problem area and that that was correctly marked.

He described the race as difficult wet race on the limit of being able to drive.

When asked his speed at the area, he didn't know but said it was slow because double yellows which means you might have to stop so you need to slow down a lot.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 10-10-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:16 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
So when you saw the white flag and emergency vehicle on track did you park your car or pull into the pits? If not, you've demonstrated a much better definition of hyprocracy than the race organizers.

Personally I love hot extractions as it allows for more track time. I'd like to think that my fellow racers and myself are more than capable of slower down and safely navigating around the obstacle just as we would a slow moving race car or a parked race car under yellow conditions. Yes there are exceptions, but those exceptions should not have a racing license, and that is a different issue.

Racing is dangerous. Statistically speaking there will be an occasional catastrophe. Creating a sport that is perfectly safe would probably be a whole lot less fun than what we enjoy now. Think auto cross with bowling lane style bumpers marking the track and cars powered by a 9v battery. I'll pass.

Drivers understand the rules, know the conditions ahead of time, an can choose to accept that risk and drive or watch from the sidelines. Don't like hot extractions? Then don't race at tracks that perform them. I choose personal responsibility before blaming others.
As a matter of fact, I did pull into the pits, and onto the trailer.

While I disagree with your conclusions, if you feel green-flag, wheel to wheel racing with 9000LB tow vehicles going 20MPH on the racing line is "safe" or "fun", then knock yourself out.

I simply included this as an example of how placing "The Show" ahead of prudent safety procedures is creating unnecessary risk, at many levels of racing.

No procedure is so perfect that it should not be subjected to rational scrutiny.

But this is not the proper forum for this specific issue.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:22 PM
winders
Race Car

JCP911S,

You are being completely unreasonable if you think a race should be stopped or a safety car should be on the track whenever race cars need to be removed the track.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:18 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Here's the data cast showing Bianchi doing in the neighborhood of 200km/h. Yes it shows a drop right at the end but honestly the resolution is too crappy for that to be a definite change. Any way you cut it there is no way he was doing 45ish.

My guess is that he was doing 200+ through there like everyone else. Once he lost traction there really wasn't any way for him to get it slowed down much at all. So I'm gonna go with the impact speed north of 100mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DS33TY50CU#t=111
Good info, interesting to see after the accident, Chilton going 20 kph FASTER than Bianchi on the same spot ...
Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 PM
btwyx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the SCCA runoffs today they recovered a car from the front straight (a P1 expired) with only a waving yellow to guard the truck.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:34 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
As a matter of fact, I did pull into the pits, and onto the trailer.

While I disagree with your conclusions, if you feel green-flag, wheel to wheel racing with 9000LB tow vehicles going 20MPH on the racing line is "safe" or "fun", then knock yourself out.

I simply included this as an example of how placing "The Show" ahead of prudent safety procedures is creating unnecessary risk, at many levels of racing.

No procedure is so perfect that it should not be subjected to rational scrutiny.

But this is not the proper forum for this specific issue.
I mean this in the most respectful way, but I think Time Trials or autoX are better sports for you. If you are unable to manage or accept the risk of a hot extraction you really should not be out there racing. That occurrence is a fundamentally basic routine of EVERY sanctioning body I have raced with, and I have raced with many. The only times hot extractions don't happen is when the track is not equipped to do so.

If someone is concerned about safely passing a 20mph vehicle after being warned with flags how is this person going to safely drive next to my door at full tilt boogie as we simultaneously attack the T17 apex at Sebring? If you can't do the former, please don't try the latter. And if you can't do the latter, other sports beckon.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:11 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I mean this in the most respectful way, but I think Time Trials or autoX are better sports for you. If you are unable to manage or accept the risk of a hot extraction you really should not be out there racing. That occurrence is a fundamentally basic routine of EVERY sanctioning body I have raced with, and I have raced with many. The only times hot extractions don't happen is when the track is not equipped to do so.

If someone is concerned about safely passing a 20mph vehicle after being warned with flags how is this person going to safely drive next to my door at full tilt boogie as we simultaneously attack the T17 apex at Sebring? If you can't do the former, please don't try the latter. And if you can't do the latter, other sports beckon.
No you don't.

First, "full tilt boogie" is not a racing term.

Second, I am fully aware of what it takes to race door to door at 10/10ths, and don't want a Ford F450 introduced into the equation.

My point is that race control procedures need to be constantly evolved, and the risk associated with a stranded car must be weighed against the risks associated with extracting that car.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:42 PM
winders
Race Car

No you don't.

First, "full tilt boogie" is not a racing term.
Why not? Look here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ll+tilt+boogie

And here:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/

Second, I am fully aware of what it takes to race door to door at 10/10ths, and don't want a Ford F450 introduced into the equation.

My point is that race control procedures need to be constantly evolved, and the risk associated with a stranded car must be weighed against the risks associated with extracting that car.
Hot extractions are standard fair. You don't change procedures that work just because there is one incident...especially when that incident could have been avoided if the driver did what he should have done based on the rules.

Quick Reply: Video of Jules Bianchi crash