Sponsored by:

An Open Letter to Ron and Fernando from Jenson

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:10 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Open Letter to Ron and Fernando from Jenson

I thought the folks here on Rennlist would like to help me draft a letter that Jenson Button could send to Ron Dennis and Fernando Alonso:

Dear Ron and Fernando,

Ron, as you are ever the pragmatist, I wanted to help you with your math as you decide between Kevin and myself to pair with Alonso next year. To wit, if you had two drivers that each accumulated as many points as I have this year, McLaren would have finished in fourth instead of fifth. On the other hand, if you had two drivers that accumulated as many points as Kevin, McLaren would have finished in sixth.

Fernando, you need to grow a pair. Obviously, you delivered an ultimatum to McLaren and Honda that for you to sign, I must be pushed out-- you want to be the clear #1 driver. Remember that we are racing drivers. We are competitors. We relish the danger and the thrill in order to conquer all and win. You are a two-time world champion, and you understand that to be the best, you must beat the best. When your career is over, shall it be said of you that you fought the greatest battles, rose to the highest levels, and belong among the greats, or that you were afraid to go race when the odds were not in your favor?

Your most humble servant,
Jenson Button
Any help with edits is appreciated.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:51 PM
jabo
Advanced

Alonso is the most capable driver currently in the sport.
Button is a likable guy, but not a dominant driver.
Magnusson shows much more promise for the future.
Remember, Schumacher, Senna and many others did not obliterate the field in their rookie seasons, but they did show great promise.

Button needs to retire.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:10 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by jabo
Button is a likable guy, but not a dominant driver.
Remember, Schumacher, Senna and many others did not obliterate the field in their rookie seasons, but they did show great promise.

Button needs to retire.
Ricciardo dominated Vettel. Should Vettel retire?
Yet Button dominated Magnusson, and you say Button should retire?

In the three years they were together at McLaren, Button outscored Hamilton.

I guess I just don't understand why he doesn't get more respect.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to disagree with you. Magnusson has not delivered and remember that last year McLaren got rid of Perez, who was doing a better job and was closer to Button points-wise than Magnusson is this year.

As far as rookies and newer drivers, would you really rather have Magnusson than Kvyat, Verne or Hulkenberg? Don't even try to compare him to Bottas or Ricciardo. If it were me, I'd keep Button for the experience and continuity and beat the bushes next year to find that hot GP2 driver to pair with Alonso in 2016.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I have to disagree with you. Magnusson has not delivered and remember that last year McLaren got rid of Perez, who was doing a better job and was closer to Button points-wise than Magnusson is this year.

As far as rookies and newer drivers, would you really rather have Magnusson than Kvyat, Verne or Hulkenberg? Don't even try to compare him to Bottas or Ricciardo. If it were me, I'd keep Button for the experience and continuity and beat the bushes next year to find that hot GP2 driver to pair with Alonso in 2016.
^^THIS^^

Like Vandoorne or Nasr...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-23-2014, 11:41 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

By finishing 5th today, Button saved (earned?) McLaren tens of millions of dollars. Magnussen was nowhere to be found in the points.

It would be a shame to get rid of Button. That McLaren Honda will not be a championship winning car next year, that much is certain. But if they have two good drivers who can develop the car next year McLaren has a much better chance of catching up to Mercedes. And if I'm Honda, I'd be pushing for Button to stay as he already has a lot of experience driving a Honda and knows how things work with the Japanese.

The other thing I'm weary of is the Ron and Fernando relationship. It's a ticking time bomb in my view.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:59 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Button finished the 2014 season with 126 points to Magnussen's 55. With all the smaller teams dwindling McLaren may run 3 cars next year and have room for both & Alonso.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:41 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Always been a Jenson fan... Fred is hell of a driver, but a major drama queen and has an "interesting" history at every team, including his previous stint at Mac.

Hope JB can survive, but working with Ron must test your skills!!

Still miss seeing his dad in the pits, and wouldn't mind it when they show Jessica either!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:52 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Fernando has been pretty drama free for a couple of years now. McLaren seem to want for an elite talent which they dont think Jenson is obviously. No one has signed him so they have the freedom to swing for the fences and still come back to him if needed.

Jenson is a security blanket solid driver for Mclaren at this point. Seems they are holding out hope for Alonso. But highly doubt Alonso sees Button as a threat.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:55 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Fernando has been pretty drama free for a couple of years now. McLaren seem to want for an elite talent which they dont think Jenson is obviously. No one has signed him so they have the freedom to swing for the fences and still come back to him if needed.

Jenson is a security blanket solid driver for Mclaren at this point. Seems they are holding out hope for Alonso. But highly doubt Alonso sees Button as a threat.
Again I wonder why Ron Dennis would hire a guy who 1. Cost him $100,000,000.00 2. Did not show locality to Ron Dennis like Dennis has showed him.

Freddy's response to Ferrari comments pretty much say it all.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/30162869

And for Ferrari saying this says a lot about Freddy. As well as Massa's comments of Freddy being a cancer to a team.
I fear this will backfire on McLaren.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:48 AM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

BS. He just has a sponsor that's willing to burn obscene amount of money in buying him a seat in a team he wishes.

Q: Who's that sponsor?
A: Banco Santander.

Someone said that he's a superior chassis developer. Where does it show? Kimi's still Ferrari's last title holder...

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Last edited by pete95zhn; 11-24-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hammy has matured over the years, and that maturity has not only won him another championship, it has won him the respect of his team and the general F1 crowd as a whole. Remember when he was such a whiney little b*tch?

Well in my book, Alonso has matured too. He has performed admirably for the last 5 years in a second rate car and has never thrown Ferrari under the bus. Ferrari is going down the toilet, and next year's car will be worse than this year, mark my words. Now they don't even have an automotive guy at the helm. Vettel will be lucky to see the podium and I think that Fred clearly saw it coming, and decided to leave the team. He still has the talent, and I believe the desire and as such decided to take a huge risk to try and secure a better seat. Though I would prefer to see Ricciardo become the top dog next year, I would not be unhappy if Alonso gets the McLaren seat and can return them to prominence.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FGL28
Again I wonder why Ron Dennis would hire a guy who 1. Cost him $100,000,000.00
Yes you've pointed that out again and again and again and again and again.

No need to wonder. People move on. Ron Dennis, like any good business man, likely has too.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Again I wonder why Ron Dennis would hire a guy who 1. Cost him $100,000,000.00 2. Did not show locality to Ron Dennis like Dennis has showed him.

Freddy's response to Ferrari comments pretty much say it all.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/30162869

And for Ferrari saying this says a lot about Freddy. As well as Massa's comments of Freddy being a cancer to a team.
I fear this will backfire on McLaren.
I have no words, you simply don't get it.

Honda wants the best driver and Freddy is the best driver, Ron is going to live with it. Besides Ron's desire to win and make this Honda partnership work overshadows the past.

Massa said that Freddy is the most complete driver on the grid and dismantles all his opponents.

As far as the "Ferrari boss" the guy was a marketing guy in the US who was a loyal soldier at Ferrari and thus was given a job in desperation move that he could not handle. Why anyone cares what he thinks is beyond me. Oh by the way he lost his job at Ferrari this morning.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:56 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
BS. He just has a sponsor that's willing to burn obscene amount of money in buying him a seat in a team he wishes.

Q: Who's that sponsor?
A: Banco Santander.

Someone said that he's a superior chassis developer. Where does it show? Kimi's still Ferrari's last title holder...

What are you on about?

Quick Reply: An Open Letter to Ron and Fernando from Jenson