Trans Am Racing - Anyone watching

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:52 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been tuning in. Keep an eye on Dillon Machavern. That kid will get up front.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The TA and TA2 cars are tube frame, purpose built cars. They do resemble their actual counterparts pretty well and are terrific machines. The TA3 cars are converted street cars.
When you say they resemble the street cars I assume you mean in looks and proportions? From what I could see these are full tubers with no resemblance under the skin. With 900hp these things must be extremely fast with that power to weight ratio. No wonder a Cup car gets swamped!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
When you say they resemble the street cars I assume you mean in looks and proportions? From what I could see these are full tubers with no resemblance under the skin. With 900hp these things must be extremely fast with that power to weight ratio. No wonder a Cup car gets swamped!
Just the body looks similar. I think the rule is they have to use factory brake lights.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:13 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I've been tuning in. Keep an eye on Dillon Machavern. That kid will get up front.
Was he driving a blue Ford Falcon.?

Yep, he drives one in SCCA GT1 and kicks everyone"s butt...
Saw him race the car at NJMP and spoke with his crew in the paddock. They "said" TransAm wouldn't let him compete with the Falcon because it didn't represent the sort of image they were trying to convey...In other words they didn't want this converted piece of s#%t beating up on the modern day stuff.

BTW, I believe Amy was/is the first woman to ever win a TransAm race so this was no fluke.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:45 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tomburdge
Was he driving a blue Ford Falcon.?

Yep, he drives one in SCCA GT1 and kicks everyone"s butt...
Saw him race the car at NJMP and spoke with his crew in the paddock. They "said" TransAm wouldn't let him compete with the Falcon because it didn't represent the sort of image they were trying to convey...In other words they didn't want this converted piece of s#%t beating up on the modern day stuff.

BTW, I believe Amy was/is the first woman to ever win a TransAm race so this was no fluke.
I think he did before, but now he drives a fresh TA2 Mustang that has the same colors as the gray/red GT3RS. Looks awesome. He made his way up to 2nd then had a mechanical at Sebring. He did run GT1 last year and did well. Right now he is kicking everyone's butt at the SM majors. He just won yesterday at Road Atlanta.

I like TA this year...really deep fields and some real talent in the top 10. Amy is one of those top talents...man she can drive.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

My man, Lawrence Loshak, finished third in TA2 in a car that wasn't quite done when they got to Sebring.

Look for more out of him...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-24-2015, 03:08 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I tested a Mike Cope TA2 car at Sebring a few weeks back, wicked machine.
And the racing is really good. But i did think the edited show was kind of weak, missed all the good racing in the TA2 class. Tony Buffamonte was p1, p2 for a bit and then got a penalty, went thru pit lane and made his way from last up to like p3 and got spun last lap. that would be good video showing a guy tearing through the field. instead they showed very little that offered the excitement that you knew was going on.
i also through that the pace car looked and was ridiculous. nothing personal abut mazda mx5s but, thats not the image you want for a pro race pace car. it looked tiny, awkward, no decals. most pca races have a more pronounced pace vehicle cruising around stage front and center of the tv camera.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:21 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But the pace cars at PCA races can't seem to go faster than 25mph.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Transam - R-7 compound

2nd race complete, no flu for me at this race in homestead, as the 1st race
at Sebring did. Sebring was the first time running the Hoosier R7 mandated by the Trans Am powers to be in the TA3 -I class's. Having the flu there i could never push the tires like i wanted. Turns out, You cant push them. While it was the tire of choice for corvettes, vipers, & Bmw's it was a huge set back for any Porsche. All P cars running them at Homestead spun 4-5 times during the weekend, including me.
At Homestead I could finally concentrate on the feeling they gave. None.
We tried all amounts of tire set up configurations, starting with the recommended Hoosier pressures on the high bank, but found the infield portion we were slow as a rock. Tried other setups, and still slow as a rock in the infield. Ended up taking a 3rd behind two Vipers but only thru attrition. Bmw was on pace to lap me around lap 35, but ended up breaking, as 2 Vets also had mechanical issues and dropping out. Our only hope now going forward is Trans am letting P-cars run the hoosier slicks at least to have a chance at least of placing higher than a 3rd. For any one running a porsche cup car, i would reccomend to never run the R-7s, they offer no feel, and the stiff side walls will only cause you to park it in a corner to get the car to turn at all. Next race is televised at Road Atlanta May 7-8-9, lets hope they will let us run the Hoosier slicks, at least we will be able to put on a show, instead of a parade.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:52 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I just finished reading the "Unfair Advantage" by Mark Donohue and much of the book talks about his time in the Trans Am series.

My DVR, which is set to record just about all things "auto racing" related recorded the first Trans Am race of the year at Sebring. It looks like the top two classes are all American cars (Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, etc.) and there is a third "international class" where I spotted at least one Porsche.

It was some pretty serious racing. The top cars have about 900HP. The series is supposed to stay true to racing roots and is kind of the exact opposite of F1.

Anyone else watching this? I think I caught it on one of the CBS sports channels.
I watched and agreed it is some pretty good racing. If only we could redux Can-Am from the early 70's, that was racing.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:01 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Texas RS
I watched and agreed it is some pretty good racing. If only we could redux Can-Am from the early 70's, that was racing.
When is the Homestead race aired? Did I miss it?
Old 04-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Homestead was not, Here is Schedule today:

The 2015 Races slated for broadcast (original airdates) include:
Sebring: Tuesday, March 17, 8:00 PM (ET)
Road Atlanta: Saturday, May 16, 6:00 PM (ET)
Lime Rock: Saturday, June 6, 6:00 PM (ET)
Mid-Ohio: Saturday, August 29, 6:00 PM (ET)
Road America: TBD
Daytona: TBD
Old 04-21-2015, 09:25 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jerrygreene
Homestead was not, Here is Schedule today:

The 2015 Races slated for broadcast (original airdates) include:
Sebring: Tuesday, March 17, 8:00 PM (ET)
Road Atlanta: Saturday, May 16, 6:00 PM (ET)
Lime Rock: Saturday, June 6, 6:00 PM (ET)
Mid-Ohio: Saturday, August 29, 6:00 PM (ET)
Road America: TBD
Daytona: TBD
Pft, no wonder I couldn't find it. Dillon put TraqGear on the Podium and that's the one they don't air. Oh well, he'll get there again. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Pft, no wonder I couldn't find it. TraqGear helped put Dillon on the Podium and that's the one they don't air. Oh well, he'll get there again. Thanks!
FIFY
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2015, 05:19 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
FIFY
Ha!! Love it! #keepyousafe #helpyouwin

Quick Reply: Trans Am Racing - Anyone watching