Trans Am Racing - Anyone watching

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 10:54 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 1,616 Posts
Default Trans Am Racing - Anyone watching

I just finished reading the "Unfair Advantage" by Mark Donohue and much of the book talks about his time in the Trans Am series.

My DVR, which is set to record just about all things "auto racing" related recorded the first Trans Am race of the year at Sebring. It looks like the top two classes are all American cars (Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, etc.) and there is a third "international class" where I spotted at least one Porsche.

It was some pretty serious racing. The top cars have about 900HP. The series is supposed to stay true to racing roots and is kind of the exact opposite of F1.

Anyone else watching this? I think I caught it on one of the CBS sports channels.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts

Not watching but working with two TA2 teams. There is some great racing and very good drivers. The acceleration and cornering abilities of the TA and TA2 cars is very impressive. It's a series that is poised to really take off.

Select races are being televised on CBS Sports.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:20 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

I've always liked the Trans Am series, even when Porsche isn't much of a presence like they once were, many years ago. It was better in the heyday, like in the 80s and 90s when they had factory teams and top pro drivers, but it's still cool in my book.

Scott
Old 03-20-2015, 11:30 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I know about it, I will watch it... thanks for spreading the word.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:30 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Here is a link to the Trans Am website if anyone else is interested in checking it out:

http://gotransam.com/

First race was won by a "women". I put that in quotes because I am pretty certain she could kick my ***.

While there was some really good racing, and not to take too much away from her victory, I thought she did a hell of a lot of blocking. Announcers kept talking about her taking a "defensive line" but it looked like some pretty blatant blocking to me.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Here is a link to the Trans Am website if anyone else is interested in checking it out:

http://gotransam.com/

First race was won by a "women". I put that in quotes because I am pretty certain she could kick my ***.

While there was some really good racing, and not to take too much away from her victory, I thought she did a hell of a lot of blocking. Announcers kept talking about her taking a "defensive line" but it looked like some pretty blatant blocking to me.
Amy is a super nice person and she has been racing for a long time. Her crew chief and Dad is Bob Ruman, former TA racer. She put the hurt on everyone in qualifying by about a second.

I haven't seen the TV show yet and was on pit road, so I don't know how her driving.looked.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:06 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I watch it. Great racing. Shows that American muscle cars can still turn both ways.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:50 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Amy is a super nice person and she has been racing for a long time. Her crew chief and Dad is Bob Ruman, former TA racer. She put the hurt on everyone in qualifying by about a second.

I haven't seen the TV show yet and was on pit road, so I don't know how her driving.looked.
She had the pole so obviously she has some skill. She also got back a position that she had lost so she didn't just lead the race and go flag to flag - obviously shows some driving skill rather than just being quick. Also was impressive coming through the slower traffic later in the race.

In regards to my thoughts about her blocking I would be curious to hear what you think if you watch the broadcast. To my way of thinking she drifted into a blocking line a bunch of times. Nothing was blatant Schumacher type blocking but it definitely looked like she altered her line a few times to block.

On an unrelated note the Porsche looked more like a Miata in this race compared to the big flared out American TA cars. Probably what it feels like to drive a smart car on an interstate with tractor trailers.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:52 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

I was a track marshall for 11 years during the glory days of Trans Am with Tommy Kendall,Ron Fellows,Paul Gentillozzi,Scott Sharp and Dorsey Schroeder ... the racing was just unmatched and the sound of those cars used to make the hair stand up on my arms,
Walter Payton even raced a Mustang in those days !!!

Friend of mine still races an early 90's Mustang Trans Am with the 180 degree crossover exaust and the car just howls at 8000 rpms.Too bad there isn't more TV support for the modern series ...

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-20-2015, 04:12 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Hate to bear my soul here, but i plan on running the entire Trans am series this running a 996 cup. Ran a few races last year, and though my results from last year dont show it, i was in the middle of the TA2 class. Well long story longer, they are now making the TA3-TA3I class's run the hoosier R7tire. [One word, Help!] Was 10 sec off pace in the transam sebring races running the R7's can this be expected? or, am i missing something? Any body that has any help running these at all, please just give me a hint... thanks.... jerry greene
Old 03-20-2015, 04:21 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jerrygreene
Hate to bear my soul here, but i plan on running the entire Trans am series this running a 996 cup. Ran a few races last year, and though my results from last year dont show it, i was in the middle of the TA2 class. Well long story longer, they are now making the TA3-TA3I class's run the hoosier R7tire. [One word, Help!] Was 10 sec off pace in the transam sebring races running the R7's can this be expected? or, am i missing something? Any body that has any help running these at all, please just give me a hint... thanks.... jerry greene
That is awesome! What color is your car? I believe the Porsche I saw was white and black, however I could be wrong. There was a camera shot right before the back straight and it almost looked like the Porsche was about to get punted when the leaders barged through - was that you?

What color and number is your car? Keep us apprised as it would be nice to root for someone!
Old 03-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

its in the mouse motif, they did take a bit of film from my incar, unfortunately , as they were talking about me, they said i was driving a mustang. My buddy was in the black and white one, and yes he escaped that one.. lucky. i was the porsche that got thru the crash on the first lap, all in i had the flu that week end, and just could not wrap my head around any tire setups, its was horrible. Nor did i want to drive as quick as i wanted, on tires i was not sure were going to last if pressed to hard. so any help on the R7's will most appreciated... Also will give updates in season.... btw, took a 3rd in that event. Next is homestead around middle of april...
Old 03-21-2015, 09:19 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Will watch what is televised this year, but the top field felt more NASCAR tube frame then SportsCar. In car camera views showed flapping racer made body panels that didn't resemble a Vette, Camaro, or Stang out the window.

So hard to relate, but there seemed to be some good racing at Sebring. Didn't see the blocking, but then no expert.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The TA and TA2 cars are tube frame, purpose built cars. They do resemble their actual counterparts pretty well and are terrific machines. The TA3 cars are converted street cars.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

The 2015 Transam Races slated for broadcast on CBS Sports Network (original airdates) include:
Sebring: Tuesday, March 17, 8:00 PM (ET)
Road Atlanta: Saturday, May 16, 6:00 PM (ET)
Lime Rock: Saturday, June 6, 6:00 PM (ET)
Mid-Ohio: Saturday, August 29, 6:00 PM (ET)
Road America: TBD
Daytona: TBD

Quick Reply: Trans Am Racing - Anyone watching