Sponsored by:

Alonso has made the biggest mistake in F1

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:42 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
If Alonso was still with the Scuderia, they would still be floundering in mid-pack. Alonso was the bottleneck the whole time. Only after his departure was the team able to move forward. Kimi/Allison carrying-on as they did at Lotus. Vettel also making positive contributions. It's a very different team than it was 12 months ago. Look out, Merc!
You could not be more wrong if you tried.

First of all I'm no Alonso fan. But your comments are comical.
In Alonso's very first Jaguar test he set the lap record in a car that was absolute rubbish. Since then he has won two championships against a 7x's World Champion and perhaps the greatest Ferrari Team ever assembled. Lewis Hamilton recently called him flat out the driver with the most talent. I'm no believer in the theory that a driver can by virtue of his stellar feedback, can turn a car from a mid pack into a race-winner. F1 doesn't work like that anymore. 99.99% of the work is done in the wind tunnel or at the engine blackboard. But Alonso clearly showed before leaving that if the car was capable of a win he could deliver the prize. If the car was only capable a 5th place finish, he could get it across the line in fifth. Vettel won because Merc blew the tire selection, Alonso would have won by 30 seconds instead of 10 in that last stint.
When it comes to operation at the top 0.001% of pace, he is still by far the most consistent driver in F1.

And SV may be on his best behavior now, but let's check in on him in three months when Kimi is free of the focus on Alonso and driving the wheels off the red car. As far as drama and getting on with with it, there could not be two more different drivers than Kimi and Vettel. SB was quiet the prima dona once he was made to look ordinary by Ricciardo. I doubt he'll be doing that again because Ferrari may be his last shot at becoming a #1 driver but you never know.

As for Alonso, he's not the first driver to foolishly fall for the Ron Dennis bla bla bla. That team has been the most under performing on a dollar basis of the top five in F1. They've lost every top driver that they've had to a rival, a sabbatical or even NASCAR. They don't even have the sense to renew Button's contract without giving him a existential depression. Alonso what were you thinking...if Ferrari sucks in a given year at least you get to drive all the new Ferrari road cars and mangia a lot of delicious pasta. At McLaren? terrible British food with Ron Dennis.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:21 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
You could not be more wrong if you tried.

First of all I'm no Alonso fan. But your comments are comical.
In Alonso's very first Jaguar test he set the lap record in a car that was absolute rubbish. Since then he has won two championships against a 7x's World Champion and perhaps the greatest Ferrari Team ever assembled. Lewis Hamilton recently called him flat out the driver with the most talent. I'm no believer in the theory that a driver can by virtue of his stellar feedback, can turn a car from a mid pack into a race-winner. F1 doesn't work like that anymore. 99.99% of the work is done in the wind tunnel or at the engine blackboard. But Alonso clearly showed before leaving that if the car was capable of a win he could deliver the prize. If the car was only capable a 5th place finish, he could get it across the line in fifth. Vettel won because Merc blew the tire selection, Alonso would have won by 30 seconds instead of 10 in that last stint.
When it comes to operation at the top 0.001% of pace, he is still by far the most consistent driver in F1.

And SV may be on his best behavior now, but let's check in on him in three months when Kimi is free of the focus on Alonso and driving the wheels off the red car. As far as drama and getting on with with it, there could not be two more different drivers than Kimi and Vettel. SB was quiet the prima dona once he was made to look ordinary by Ricciardo. I doubt he'll be doing that again because Ferrari may be his last shot at becoming a #1 driver but you never know.

As for Alonso, he's not the first driver to foolishly fall for the Ron Dennis bla bla bla. That team has been the most under performing on a dollar basis of the top five in F1. They've lost every top driver that they've had to a rival, a sabbatical or even NASCAR. They don't even have the sense to renew Button's contract without giving him a existential depression. Alonso what were you thinking...if Ferrari sucks in a given year at least you get to drive all the new Ferrari road cars and mangia a lot of delicious pasta. At McLaren? terrible British food with Ron Dennis.
I am only displaying factual data. You are spewing opinion and what-if theory. The fact is that every team Alonso has joined went backwards after 2 seasons. Give Alonso a good car and he will get you wins, maybe even a championship. But if the car goes in the wrong direction, look out. He will not see the team through and improve the package or team.

Regarding your opinion about drivers influencing car development, you are completely wrong. Because there isn't testing like there used to be, every session on-track is a test session. The driver's feedback it that much more critical. Alonso can not develop a car or elevate a team in need. Fact.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:30 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris give it up man. Alonso may have made bad career decisions, which is the premise of this thread but to say he blows up teams is not factual
Old 04-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I've changed my opinion a bit on Alonso. Even the Alonso detractors would agree that he is an exceptional racer and proven that more times than not year after year in machinery that is subpar. In fact, the reason I rate him WAY ABOVE Hamilton is because Alonso has had the best car under him a handful of times in his career and Hamilton has only had a bad car only once in his career.

Granted Hamilton has only changed teams once and Alonso has several times, which leads me to believe Alonso has surrounded himself with bad decision makers, primarily his manager Flava Flav Briatore and to a lesser extent his physio who, based on the Spanish TV documentary of his last race with Ferrari, seems to have an extraordinary influence on FA life than a conditioning and nutrition guy should.

I can't help but think back to the time when he blocked Hamilton in the pits during qualifying in Hungary 2007 that it was he and his physio that were front and center on that. Crashgate was orchestrated by Flavio Briatore, but carried out by Alonso. Spygate, the decision to go back to McLaren for the 2nd time when they don't have a proven engine. etc. etc. etc. The decisions he has made during his career are staggering when you add up all the bad moves and that's why I say that he has surrounded himself with what I believe to be bad advisors.
Pete, we've all had bad advice from time to time and good advice from time to time. What separates the men from the boys is the decisions we make. Bad advice or not the final call was always his.

Alonso has million dollar talent along with a $.02 cent head.....
Old 04-03-2015, 10:33 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, what other choice did Alonso have?
Stay Ferrari - Team up with Vettel and get crushed...
Go to RBR - He has already been to Renault camp in the past and knows thing or two why he didn't want to go back again...
MB - Had to take a sabbatical. NOT.
McLaren - only choice left as he believes in Ron Dennis & Honda will eventually make this work. Factory engine means a second or two.
Sauber - no one imagine they would survive the winter let alone design a fast car!!!
William - will always carry second tier engine to MB. Enuf said.
Toro Rosso - another junior team with second tier Ferrari engine. Really?!
Lotus - I'm not even going to comment... Feel really bad for Grojean.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:34 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 353 Likes on 209 Posts

Alonso has the ethics of Briatore and has gotten exactly what he deserved. He'll never win a world championship again- which is what he wants more than anything. Cheating and lying don't always pay off- even if you can drive well.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:17 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,397 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by f8vr993
Go to RBR - He has already been to Renault camp in the past and knows thing or two why he didn't want to go back again...
McLaren - only choice left as he believes in Ron Dennis & Honda will eventually make this work. Factory engine means a second or two.
Sauber - no one imagine they would survive the winter let alone design a fast car!!!
I know this will be RL heresy but if I had a choice between Alonso and Kimi I would keep Alonso.

Would he have been crushed by Vettel? I don't think so - it would have been a close fight. In the end I think both would be at each other's throats.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:12 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f8vr993
Stay at Ferrari. Vettel would not have come to Ferrari if Alonso stayed. Even if he did Alonso crushed highly unlikely, close maybe.

Stay at Ferrari and replace Rosberg at MB if the spot opened in 2016.

Otherwise stay at Ferrari and retire from the most prestigious team in F1 with by the look of things a possible shot at the title.

McLaren / Honda have 2 years before they are fighting and Alonso is no spring chicken with a very strong pool of youngsters.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:09 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Interesting words from Lewis on Alonso

A difficult time for a great rival
When I was sitting next to Sebastian Vettel after the Malaysian Grand Prix, it crossed my mind what Fernando Alonso must have been thinking.

Fernando chose to leave Ferrari at the end of last season to go to McLaren, who are now at the back after a difficult start to their new engine partnership with Honda.

As an F1 driver, these choices are very tough. When you decide where to drive, you never really know how it is going to work out.

I was relating Fernando's situation to mine, when I decided to leave McLaren at the end of 2012 and come to Mercedes.

That worked out well for me. Had I not done that, I would have had a terrible 2013 and I would not have won the title last year.

Alonso ended his five-year relationship with Ferrari to join McLaren this season
Fernando stuck with Ferrari for five years without getting a car in which he could win the title. I don't know what happened between them, but he had obviously had enough and decided to go somewhere else. It's unfortunate for him that the following year the Ferrari car is amazing.

I'm sure his mindset is the same as mine - he wants to win. And if that was me, it would be hard not to think about the consequences of the decision.

For Fernando's sake, I hope he is back battling at the front where he belongs as soon as possible.

I've said many times that I regard him as my fastest and most talented rival - I think he is one of the best drivers F1 has ever seen.

If he was to finish his career without adding to his two world championships, it would be a tragedy, because it would certainly not be due to his driving.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Would he have been crushed by Vettel? I don't think so - it would have been a close fight. In the end I think both would be at each other's throats.
It's an interesting question. Alonso has been clearly better than many of his teammates, but then again many of them were clearly not top level F1 talent. The notable exceptions to this being Hamilton who certainly seemed to get the better of Alonso at McLaren, Kimi who it has been widely reported had an intense dislike for the driving characteristics of the previous Ferrari (F14T) and Massa, who is used to playing the second fiddle role.

I do find it interesting that Button has been besting Alonso for the first few races at McLaren Honda.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:38 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
I do find it interesting that Button has been besting Alonso for the first few races at McLaren Honda.
Don't worry. Alonso will be kicking-and-screaming behind closed doors now. He has been out-qualified and out-raced by his nearly-sacked teammate. Until the team is instructed to favor Alonso, Jensen will continue to beat him.

I say it will be maybe 2-3 more races until Ron is forced to give Alsonso all of the technical favoritism he needs to beat Jensen. Or, Alsonso will quit using one of the many performance clauses in his contract. The end is neigh for Alonso, and the tears are beginning to fall.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:36 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Jenson is a better driver when it comes to development.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:59 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Jenson is a better driver when it comes to development.
I have no idea whether this is true or not, but I do like to watch him battle to hold off faster cars. Off topic, but he's good enough at it and Nico is bad enough at it, that I'm not sure Nico could get by Jenson in one lap...
Old 04-15-2015, 10:57 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I have no idea whether this is true or not, but I do like to watch him battle to hold off faster cars. Off topic, but he's good enough at it and Nico is bad enough at it, that I'm not sure Nico could get by Jenson in one lap...
Most of his driving history he has been in 2nd tier cars. He has made them more competitive. Ross Brawn designed a fantastic car, but Jenson made the car he used to win the WDC much better. He helped develop the Honda F1 car. So by default he is the better guy. And his lack of ego makes him the better guy.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:12 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
He helped develop the Honda F1 car. So by default he is the better guy. And his lack of ego makes him the better guy.
You mean the Honda F1 car that performed so badly for so many years that they, Honda, decided to pull out of F1. Yep, he helped develop that, so he must be better.

Quick Reply: Alonso has made the biggest mistake in F1