Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knee surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

3 knee surgery here....2 on my left knee which I don't have anymore (left leg amputated 2003) Right knee I had 2 torn meniscus repaired Dec26 2013. knee still hurts from time to time...sharp pain when I twist. Went back to the Doc this spring and he put me on a anti-inflammatory.

Since I only have 1 leg (right leg) I am super scared about hurting this knee.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck today

Last edited by Dr911; 06-08-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:45 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I wrecked my knee very seriously in a Ski accident in Vail in 2013. (Tibia Plateau fracture). I was non-weightbearing for 6 weeks.

I can say that the PT makes all the difference in full and speedy recovery versus not. I attended a DE at the 7 week mark and was ok with the clutch even though I was (at that time) still limping badly.

As an aside, Vail is a superb hospital to do any type of knee work. (I have no connection with them except as a patient.) I am 100% ok, btw.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:11 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

14 knee surgeries. both knees have had cartilage replacement - story and lots of pictures @ http://www.bethnrayndogs.com/knee.htm

Ray
Old 06-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My initial injury was a torn meniscus, ACL, and MCL in my right knee(as well as a dislocated right shoulder/torn labrum). The meniscus was a "bucket handle tear", they stitched it back together via arthroscopic surgery and I was non weight bearing for ~2 two weeks. I went back in for my ACL repair(achilles allograft) and was non weight bearing for another 2 weeks. I think I was on crutches for close to 3 months. My left foot braking got a lot better during this time, but I wasn't comfortable driving a race car for many more months.

About 6 months later I tore the allograft repair, I had it repaired with a hamstring autograft which I tore about a year after that. I've been wearing a knee brace for about a year now and plan on having a patellar autograft when work allows. About two weeks ago my knee popped while standing, I had an MRI last Friday, I don't have the results yet, but the doctor thinks it's a torn meniscus(again).

Lesson learned: Don't **** your knee up, it'll never be the same or as strong. Do your PT, a lot of it. A month of being non weight bearing really atrophies your leg. Be glad it's not your shoulder, much more painful PT, however, I've had fewer problems with it since.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knee surgery has changed a lot over the last 20 years. I had my left knee 'scoped in '92 for a torn meniscus. I torn the ACL and MCL of the right knee skiing in '93 and had the ACL replaced with a Patelar tendon graft. I watched both surgeries on the monitor and can say it's really interesting to hear them using a hammer and chisel to remove and then shape the PT graft.

I had the right ACL re-done in 2012 and it was amazing how much easier the surgery and recovery was. The first ACL was not done arthroscopically, the second time it was. Huge difference in pain and recovery. However, in each case the physical terrorist inflicted more pain on my during the rehab than I ever could have done for myself. It was worth the pain as I can ski the bumps once again.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
14 knee surgeries. both knees have had cartilage replacement - story and lots of pictures @ http://www.bethnrayndogs.com/knee.htm

Ray
Carticel done here too along with the HTO. I kept myself off track for 12 months. Not worth dinging it up considering the rehab I had gone through.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:36 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

I had both knees done by Dr. Minas at the Brigams...

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Carticel done here too along with the HTO. I kept myself off track for 12 months. Not worth dinging it up considering the rehab I had gone through.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:37 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 784 Likes on 508 Posts

I had my ACL done. I didn't drive on the track for the year following the surgery out of precaution. The doctor said I could, but if I had an incident, it could tear the graft. Not worth the chance to me.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:01 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Knee surgery?

My experience ( which is sadly extensive because I am reckless with my joints) is that regardless of rehab which may get you back on track. The bigger the cut the longer it takes to get "mentally" healed. When they open you it takes a full year to feel whole again.

I've torn and had repairs on some other useful things. And there is something that takes psychic healing time when they "open"you up. Maybe relates to actual healing, but I think it is at least to some degree psychological.

Quick Reply: Knee surgery?