Sponsored by:

Knee surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:10 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knee surgery?

After the fascinating thread on torn rotator cuff surgery, how about personal experiences with arthroscopic knee surgery? Torn meniscus repair? Cartilage damage? Recovery time? How soon until you could drive? Left knee v. right knee? Did the problems recur? Anyone ever have a full knee replacement?

Having surgery Monday morning. Doc says 6 weeks.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had three knee surgeries two on the left one on the right, all three were torn meniscus where the torn piece locked the joint. The first surgery (1980) was a full open knee surgery and took 2 months to get back on my knee fully. The second was in 1986 and arthroscopic, up and on it in less than a week. Played in a tennis tourney starting on day 7 (finished 2nd). The last was in 2004 and left the hospital on crutches and walking without them on day 3. Once I realized pain was just part of the process, I just pushed through my prescribed workouts and went on with life. Depending on your threshold for pain, you could be driving in about a week. Actually one of the exercises I was prescribes was very similar to pushing the clutch or brake pedal.

Good luck with your surgery and rehab.

These are a little different than what I was prescribed years ago.
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00300
Old 06-04-2015, 05:35 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 777 Likes on 394 Posts

I had surgery on a torn medial meniscus. The torn piece was in the "white zone" and was removed. I was able to drive a manual car right away. The surgeon told me the only gating factor was how much pain I could stand.

If the surgery is an attempt to repair ("red zone" tear) the meniscus versus removing the torn piece, you will probably not be able to use the leg for much for several weeks.

Even though I did stay in a Holiday Express last night, I am not a Doctor. Your surgeon will tell you what you can and can't do.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:18 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by beetleything; 06-04-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:45 PM
captdownshift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always gone the ACL or ACL/MCL combo meal route. A manual isn't fun, but can be done on the street in about a week. I wouldn't do any on track driving until deep into physical therapy
Old 06-04-2015, 06:50 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by beetleything
My wife's father - Hans Rudolph Henche knows a thing or two about this.

From 1970 Henche worked at the Orthopedic Clinic, Department of Surgery at the University of Basel , where he started with the first arthroscopic procedures. [6] Hans Rudolf Henche received his orthopedic trauma training at the University of Basel with the Professors Chapchal, Morscher, Allgöwer, W. Müller and others in 1970 to 77. In 1970, the first knee arthroscopy was performed in the Orthopaedic Clinic Basel and developed the diagnostic and therapeutic system in the following years. In 1973, an award-winning film about the knee arthroscopy. 1974 the first publication about technology and results of arthroscopy. In 1977 Henche department (later Hospital) for Orthopaedics of the district hospital Rheinfelden (Germany)
And?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:43 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

This should be pretty benign. The science is well advanced, repairs are fine tuned and recovery is swift.

As for me: Oh boy - I have had 5 knee surgeries. First three on the left were arthroscopic. Meniscus damage. Totally painless. I even watched on the monitor. They kept giving me crutches and painkillers (which I never took) before discharging me to a friend to take me home by Taxi. Each time, I got out of the cab, chucked the crutches and walked home.

The aftereffect is the fluid they pump in to open things up so they can work. Your knee will be swollen. Movement helps. The surgeon called the next day and said he want me walking, on my feet and ride an exercise bike for movement. That got the swelling out. I was on the subway and then walking to work the next day after the first one.

Everyone's injury, experience and recovery is different. Rehab is critical. I was running long distance again in less than two weeks. Totally fixed.

I injured myself again from another impact injury, got that fixed, ran lots of distance races, did weights and then injured myself a third time from egregious overuse. Apparently doing very high rep & heavy squats for more than a dozen sets and then going for a ten mile run was a bit much in my late 40's.. Who knew? So I kept breaking up more of the cartilage until there was nothing left. Totally my fault.

After #3 they said they needed to graft in new (in the OR). I said "OK" and they said, "well first we have to find a donor" (e.g.. motorcycle rider). They had to do an allograft to replace the cartilage. A bone graft. That was horrible. Deep bone graft is harsh with big bung holes drilled for the graft. Bone pain is the worse (You won't have any) The recovery from that was lengthy and I was in a lot of pain for weeks. This was major stuff but I was still running again in 6 months.

Anyway, if you are just having some arthroscopic meniscus repair your recovery should be benign. Aggressively do whatever rehab they tell you and your recovery will be fast and easy. You won't even see the scars.

Try to watch. Its very cool stuff.

Last edited by dan212; 06-05-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Try to watch. Its very cool stuff.
Dan, you just won this thread!

(from someone who gets squeamish having their blood drawn...)
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts

unless otherwise advised by your surgeon, get up and moving
as soon as permitted..circulation is your friend

you will be prescribed painkillers, take one or two an hour before
p/t, you'll get more out of each session

oh, and best of luck with the procedure
Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
And?
And nothing.
He pioneered it that's all.

What have you done so far?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

And nothing.

oh, boy...
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2015, 08:31 PM
winders
Race Car

And nothing.

I was hoping you had personal experience with arthroscopic knee surgery or had other information that might help out the OP. I guess not.....
Old 06-04-2015, 08:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
I was hoping you had personal experience with arthroscopic knee surgery or had other information that might help out the OP. I guess not.....
Boom! Hey, VR. I'm learning...
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2015, 09:51 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Very broad questions by the OP. Totally depends on nature of specific injury, the intervention (debridement, repair, transplant, microfracture, etc.), amount of co-existing arthritis, tissue quality, underlying health and/or medical problems, alignment, fitness, and of course the small, but not zero, risk of surgical complications.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:13 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a torn achilles on my right foot. For a couple of weeks I was driving manual with my left only. A bit challenging. Especially brake modulation. I learned that building good muscles is a key for preserving your ligaments and avoiding injuries.

-------------------------
05' C2S

Quick Reply: Knee surgery?