Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 03:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,877 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I guess I am a bit unclear who the actual market is for these cars and how big the market is.
Big. Plenty big...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-07-2015, 03:36 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 769 Likes on 390 Posts

I guess I am a bit unclear who the actual market is for these cars and how big the market is.
Originally Posted by ProCoach
Big. Plenty big...
Yes!

When I built my air-cooled race car, I really wanted to get into a Cup Car. If I bought used and a bit older, the car cost was not bad. It was the tire budget, the brake pad and rotor budget, the trans rebuild budget, and the engine rebuild budget.

What I hope is that the engine is not hot rodded so much that it has to rebuilt after 50 hours and the trans is not so stressed that it has to rebuilt after 50 hours. If the engine and trans are going to last a real 100 hours (or more) before needing to be refreshed, that would be great from a cost standpoint.

It would also be great if the tires used are not as short-lived as we see on Cup Cars. With the car being lighter and having less power than a Cup Car, I hope the brake pad and rotors costs will be spread out over a longer time frame.

Racing air-cooled cars is getting more and more expensive. Parts are getting more scarce and costs are always going up. I would love to have a new Factory water-cooled mid-engined race car that was quite a bit less expensive to buy and run than a 4 or 5 year old Cup Car!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 765 Posts

So where will PCA class it? I guess I am confused how a separate run group can be carved out of already-packed Big Race (like Sebring, etc) schedules. Maybe I am misreading the PCA announcement?
Old 10-07-2015, 04:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,877 Likes on 1,688 Posts

If there are enough, what does it matter?

From Pete Carroll in Canada: "They are already sold-out in Canada where the GT4 Cup Car will run as a class in the Canadian IMSA series."
Old 10-07-2015, 04:54 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

It will be its own class in pca. I doubt they give it its own run group. 10-15 cars does not a run group make.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 918 Posts

Car be won't lighter than Cup.

Please tell me what race car can realistically be run 100 or more without needing a motor/trans refresh and still be competitive at the front of the grid?

Edit: Answered my own question....
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

Please tell me what race car can realistically be run 100 or more without needing a motor/trans refresh and still be competitive at the front of the grid?

If the engine isn't tweaked and doesn't suffer lubrication problems, why couldn't it reach 100 hours? With a PDK there will be zero over-revs.

What would scare me is body damage. It doesn't seem that the newer gen Cayman's repair well. Porsche likes selling new tubs.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:10 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 769 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post11229072

That's for the motor.....maybe 100 hours is an unrealistic hope for the trans.....
Old 10-07-2015, 06:10 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Eifeler

What would scare me is body damage. It doesn't seem that the newer gen Cayman's repair well. Porsche likes selling new tubs.
This is actually part of the root of the creation of this car. Ever since the 991 and 981 cars came out with all the aluminum, Porsche has been pushing to keep from having the street cars being built into racecar for the traditional production race series like Conti and PWC. They claimed that it was impossible to safely cage the cars.

So now, they've caged them themselves and say that they are safe. But given how the 991 Cups get tubbed all the time, I suspect that will be the case with these Caymans too in a hard hit.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:26 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

In germany during the VLN race last week, they told there will be 300 produced only for this year. The Team that I raced with is ordering 5 (orders will be made during the LA Auto show week).
The base price is EU$105K which doesn't match the US$150K being discussed in the USA.
There will be "upgrades" to make it fit in other series. In Europe, it means a bit more power to compete in GT4; However in the Nordscheleife the car will be faster than GT4 with the standard power (so it will be a restricted GT4 for the VLN series SP10/GT4 class). Target time for the VLN N24 Config is 8:45

The street Cayman GT4 was by far the most popular car at the Trackdays last week at the Nurburgring. Saw at least 9 of those vs only 2 GT3 RS.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:34 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

So where will PCA class it? I guess I am confused how a separate run group can be carved out of already-packed Big Race (like Sebring, etc) schedules. Maybe I am misreading the PCA announcement?
It will run its own class (Cayman GT4 Challenge), so I assume that PCA will not allow the car to be classed in GTB (at least for a few years) so that it enforces series participation.

Same will happen in Europe but midyear there will be a "FiA GT4 Package" so it can run in the other FiA series and the VLN.
Cars in GT4 basically run the engines and boxes almost on street spec (so, it should not be short rebuild intervals) and close to the street car weight (Cayman GT4 racecar is only 100#s lighter than street car; so its a PIG compared to a GT3 Cup)
Old 10-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 765 Posts

Ok thanks. So I guess I was incorrect in how I thought it would work. Glad it'll be within existing race group structures .
Old 10-07-2015, 07:52 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stujelly
Id guess 2:12 to 2:14
I seriously doubt that time is posible given the Spec. The Car is very heavy. Only 100#s lighter than the street car.

GTB2 cars should be much faster than the GT4 Clubsport
Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
Id guess 2:12 to 2:14
That would be awesome, but isnt that 997 Cup teritory?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:08 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If there are enough, what does it matter?

From Pete Carroll in Canada: "They are already sold-out in Canada where the GT4 Cup Car will run as a class in the Canadian IMSA series."
Sucks that i am in canada and knew nothing about it...
Looks like i will have to try my luck stateside...

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4 Clubsport