Sponsored by:

OctoberFast-Not-So-Fast

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 11:44 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OctoberFast-Not-So-Fast

Last edited by MikeJim; 11-01-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:19 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your brakes fixed, you need them, lol. Oh, and you're in the wrong group.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm sure the DP's (and the wedge when up to speed) had a similar view out their windshield, as did the Cup guys "practicing". A nice mixture of cars in the DE Group with a few outrageous cars to mix it up with. I think gearing on the banking was a factor for many cars there.

A fun safe A-DE event put on by the Zone in conjunction with the Club Race.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:04 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike... just 'finish' out your 997 and go club racing, brother man!

It'll be like days of old!

Old 11-02-2015, 11:46 AM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OctoberFast DE always has 2 consistent attributes….

The first is a lot of drivers that come to drive Daytona (typically a bucket list item) that have never been there before nor have they driven on banking, let alone banking like Daytona has. Add in a wide mix of car performance compounded by a loooooong bit of wide open throttle and a single run group (therefore not easy to have an instructor jump in to coach you like typically DEs) and it surely can be a bottle neck at times for sure…

The second is a few drivers almost always run out of talent and do some significant damage to their cars…
Old 11-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaB
a few drivers almost always run out of talent and do some significant damage to their cars…
um. yeah...or to someone else's car/brain/life etc.

I gotta agree that the absence of stratified DE's groups is a problem here, and would be a compelling variable to consider when fusing DE and Club racing events.

One of the reasons that the MORPCA at Indy was such a success is that the number of DE run groups was sufficient to accommodate the broad driving-skill ranges.

(Kevin, I hope that the temptation to turn Indy into a combined Club race event will instead be translated into creating another (separate!) club race date in addition to the future recurring DEs.)

OP: you're rather fast. Concur w the suggestion that you go racing.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:00 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
Congratulations on winning your DE.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Congratulations on winning your DE.
Yes. Congrats indeed. It should be noted that this was a regional win. Good Hands clinched the big bore national DE championship at Summit Point a few weekends ago so congrats to him and all the regional/national DE champions.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:25 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

It's my understanding that admission to this DE event was limited to "advanced solo drivers" or instructors, essentially, the best DE drivers out there. It was open passing with a point-by anticipated anywhere. I'm not see that in this video.

I don't know about you, but there's nothing more irritating that having to slam on brakes at an apex when an anticipated point-by is not given. Breaks momentum, breaks concentration, is downright dangerous even.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:21 PM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PLNewman
It's my understanding that admission to this DE event was limited to "advanced solo drivers" or instructors, essentially, the best DE drivers out there. It was open passing with a point-by anticipated anywhere. I'm not see that in this video.

I don't know about you, but there's nothing more irritating that having to slam on brakes at an apex when an anticipated point-by is not given. Breaks momentum, breaks concentration, is downright dangerous even.
You are correct, one of the qualifications for the DE was to be an instructor or advanced solo driver with prior experience with PCA’s expanded passing rules. Although this year I did not have a role other than participating as a race participant, I have had the privilege of being the CDI at 3 prior OctoberFast events as part of the Crown region. Being an advanced solo driver OR instructor does not indicate the best of the best DE drivers, as joked about above there is not an actual DE Championship… The organizers don’t hold qualifying sessions to fill the DE grid

It just means that the driver has the experience required to register. There are plenty of instructors that are fantastic at working with instructed drivers but are not capable as setting the fastest lap of the day, nor are they interested in doing such.

It is an interesting perspective that carrying so much speed that a driver could be downright dangerous if they don’t get a point by. I think your fellow drivers which you are sharing the track with anticipate that YOU as a driver WILL safely and appropriately manage YOUR speed…

But there is racing for not having to wait for a point-by, but then again, it is racing so that often breaks momentum and concentration when the driver in front of you doesn’t just pull offline to let you by
Old 11-03-2015, 10:41 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,331 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaB
...It is an interesting perspective that carrying so much speed that a driver could be downright dangerous if they don’t get a point by. I think your fellow drivers which you are sharing the track with anticipate that YOU as a driver WILL safely and appropriately manage YOUR speed…
This!!!!!

As instructors we try to teach safety foremost with allowance for expectations on both sides.

DE = Driver Education.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:43 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Despite the great disparity in speed amongst the driver group, I still found this years HPDE @ Daytona to be an AWESOME experience. Perfect weather. Tons of track time. Perfect number of cars on track. Some of the slow cars were having PSM issues from the ROVAL. Some of the drivers had poor awareness and were not ready for expanded passing. Daytona is an INTIMIDATING track. Especially in a street car with less than full safety protection. Right rear tires were blowing up everywhere. I don't blame drivers for being slow and cautious.

Jim did a great job organizing the event. He had discussions with the offenders and as the weekend progressed, the point by's improved.

2 DE run groups works very well at Club Races that have higher DE turnout. 2 groups allows High/Low HP cars to be segregated. This still doesn't alleviate slow pointbys and traffic.

I was 5 seconds a lap faster on the final session when most all the DE traffic had cleared. Would never have guessed the other cars were slowing me down that much. Daytona has very high closing speeds. This intimidates slower, less experienced drivers.

As your competence, confidence and speed increases, you have to decide whether HPDE is the right place for you. DE is about having fun in a safety focused environment. It has nothing to do with laptimes, or how many people you pass. When I get frustrated at DE traffic I try to remind myself that slow laps are still 1000x more fun than being at work.

On the plane ride home I had time to reflect on my driving goals for 2016. I came up with 2 options. Drive a slower car in Advanced HPDE or start club racing. For me, the decision was easy...time to go racing.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:08 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've heard the "winning the de" joke here several times. What does it really mean?
Old 11-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

This is what winning DE looks like:

Old 11-04-2015, 07:56 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
I've heard the "winning the de" joke here several times. What does it really mean?
I've won the National DE championship 8 years in a row now and it's no joke.
Here's a video of the victory lap at the 2014 runoff at Summit Point. Started on pole and finished first overall. PCA changed the rules this year which forced me to buy a faster car (cup).

The small bore championship went to Streak in his Spec Boxster who passed 25 cars in one session to clinch his spot in history at the last DE of the season at Summit point.

http://www.vimeo.com/110133286

Last edited by good hands; 11-04-2015 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: OctoberFast-Not-So-Fast