Why Hate Hammy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 11:46 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
So, who do you like?
From an out-of-the-car perspective, I'm a Button and Massa fan. I used to be a Mika fan when he was racing.

From a stylistic standpoint (in-car), I like watching Alonso and Hamilton. Different styles, similar results. The best driving I've seen on television or internet videos came from Jackie Stewart, Gilles, Senna, Prost, and Schumacher.

I'm a Ferrari F1 fan and a Porsche fan (across the board). And if we're going to talk WEC vs. F1 I want to reserve the soapbox for two hours.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:15 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to be a Hamilton fan until that one race when the stewards ruled against him and he pulled out the race card. SOB had people bending over backwards to help him as a kid and along the way, then one ruling doesn't go his way and he says "must be because I'm black". F**K YOU *******. That just showed me that you can take the kid out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the kid. He and Can't-win-ika can both go take a flying leap.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:11 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't hate Hamilton... He is an amazing driver. Very talented.

I strongly disagree with the people that worship him, deem him faultless, and praise his every move on the race track. The over hype about him makes me critical and defensive about his performance. I try to pull it back to within reason... but it's difficult when the fanboys argue and protest with violent opposition to stats and facts.

Button outperformed Hamilton in the same car. For an entire year.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:18 AM
PPo
Drifting

According to the majority... Hamilton is 10x the driver that Button is... but the stats show a very level playing field:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/1...rd-at-mclaren/

Fastest, yes Hamilton would be considered faster. Better overall racer? Looking at the three years at McLaren, I would pick Button over Hamilton.

If Hamilton was a god of F1 drivers among mortals that he is praised to be... the numbers should be considerable different. Just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:24 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
You have to have followed F1 from his rookie year and understand where he came from to gain perspective. I completely respect Peter's opinions and responses to this question as a professional race coach and person who has worked with high level drivers and his answers are more geared toward the on track issues where Hamilton has blurred the lines what is fair vs. necessary.

Personally, aside from one year where Hamilton and Massa had issues with crashing into each other every other race like idiots, I think that Hamilon's driving on track has been very quick with decisive overtaking moves that are brilliant. I could care less if he looks like 50 cent with Mr. T gold chains when he's away from the track as long as he's working 100% and bringing home the results on race weekends.

That being said, I also think he is a world class dick both in the cockpit and out of it. He's not a professional in any sense of the word. He whines and complains when he doesn't get his way or when his car isn't right and this is going back to the McLaren days. Aside from 1 year at McLaren, his cars have been extremely competitive to the point where his luck of having such cars is amazing considering how things change so fast in F1 (see RBR as en example).

This year Mercedes F1 won 86% of the total available points -- a new F1 record!!!! He is better than his current teammate for sure, no doubt, but he's not competing with Alonso or Vettel or some of the other good young drivers in the same equipment. So in essence he has to just beat one guy and that's a guy that isn't on his level - Let's face it, if you were in a club race and there were only 2 of you in the class and the other guy wasn't as good, there's not much to brag about when you win. But that's not Hamilton because he has NO CLUE or ability to step away from the situation and see it like that. Nope. He won because of his "natural abilities". Never mind that the driver's don't develop the car like they once did, nevermind tha the car came from the factory going 1 second faster than it's nearest competitors and 5 seconds faster than the backmarkers. Nevermind that the engine regs are essecially "frozen" with the exception of "tokens" for all competitors for 4 years and MB will have the same results.... *PS: I don't blame MB for making a better motor than everyone else, just own it that the car is that good".

Finally, you're a 3 time WDC and throwing other drivers under the bus to say you're better. Take about internal insecurity. You're 30 years old, act like a professional (for my atty friend that says to party like a rock star and it's never too late to have fun, you missed the point completely. No one said not to have fun because I guarantee you don't act like Hamilton does at your office because "professionalism" is expected from you, no?)

Great driver, .02 cent head...
Agree 100% with everything here.
He's a great driver - no question there.
I have no issue with his driving. Sure, sometimes his actions are questionable, but no champion ever got to where they are without pushing the limits..or stepping over them.
I have no issue with his lifestyle. In fact, I applaud him for enjoying himself AND still being able to focus when on the track. He's racing a car and having fun...good for him!
Otherwise, he's an ***. Whines when he doesn't get his way, shows zero respect for his competitors, shows zero class in general. In football, he'd be flagged for constant 'Unsportsmanlike Conduct' (I'm currently watching MNF)

I was ALMOST starting to like him...then I came to my senses...

I AM starting to like Vettle. I think a year of being humbled by Ricciardo and the struggles at Ferrari have matured him a bit...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 12-08-2015, 08:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape

I AM starting to like Vettle. I think a year of being humbled by Ricciardo and the struggles at Ferrari have matured him a bit...
+1,000!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-08-2015, 04:42 PM
THE_Roen
AutoX

The most damning statistic in support of Hamilton is the years not finished ahead of teammate. That number is 1.

Character flaws exist, but there's no teammate to have significantly gotten the better of Hamilton in a head-to-head comparison, not even Button. At the very worst, they're level, at the very best Hamilton is considered better due to wins, poles and seasons finished on top.

When you consider Button in the realm of Button v Hamilton, the stats may look somewhat favorable. But when you look at Button's entire career's teammate battles vs. Hamilton's, Button's had at least 4 seasons when his teammate finished ahead of him, from a H2H perspective, there's no way that competes with Hammy's track record.

He's still a douche when it comes to podium speeches and interviews though.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:24 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
+1,000!
Originally Posted by naroescape

Good thing, as I'm sure there were times with Red Bull when Webber, being Webber, wanted to beat him to a pulp.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:35 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,945 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Toto Wolff has trashed reports it could be Lewis Hamilton's off-track lifestyle that costs the triple world champion his Formula One seat at Mercedes.

The team boss warned after the Abu Dhabi finale recently that the constant bickering and bad feelings between Hamilton and teammate Nico Rosberg either stops or the team will have to rethink its driver lineup.

"If it becomes detrimental to the team, it would mean we would not maintain the long term setup with the drivers," Wolff was quoted by the Telegraph as reiterating at an award ceremony in London.

But then on Monday, London's Times newspaper quoted an unnamed team principal as warning that Mercedes also has deep misgivings about Hamilton's off-track lifestyle.

"They (Mercedes officials) don't like what they are seeing at the moment," the boss, who has reportedly known Hamilton since he was a child, said.

"One senior executive told me no one is irreplaceable," the unnamed chief added.

Wolff, however, scoffed at the suggestion that Hamilton's extravagance, constant continent-hopping and increasingly "rapper"-like lifestyle will be the trigger for the Briton's exit.

"We tend to put people in a box and you try to imagine how a perfect racing driver should be, how they should be in bed at 10 o'clock and not partying or flying around," he told the Times.

"As long as he performs in the car, there is not a problem," Wolff added.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...#ixzz3tpmsYE7r
Old 12-09-2015, 11:08 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,369 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Given a choice between Hamilton and Rosberg any team would be crazy to get rid of Hamilton. Rosberg is an extremely talented driver but I think he is just missing that 0.05% spark that separates him from a WC. Maybe time will prove me wrong but I don't think Rosberg will ever be a WC.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:24 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,945 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Given a choice between Hamilton and Rosberg any team would be crazy to get rid of Hamilton. Rosberg is an extremely talented driver but I think he is just missing that 0.05% spark that separates him from a WC. Maybe time will prove me wrong but I don't think Rosberg will ever be a WC.
With that particular car being so dominant, MB could plug any number of drivers in there and win the championships even if it's one or the other or neither.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:32 PM
PPo
Drifting

With that particular car being so dominant, MB could plug any number of drivers in there and win the championships even if it's one or the other or neither.
A Kickstarter campaign to put Sato in a third Mercedes for the 2016 season.

Who's in?
Old 12-09-2015, 09:36 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
A Kickstarter campaign to put Sato in a third Mercedes for the 2016 season.

Who's in?
I'm afraid he'd crash driving up to the facility
Old 12-10-2015, 12:35 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This. Which brings me to my next point. I know that great talent in any position is difficult to find and recruit but I've wondered what would happen if teams poached good drivers (who cost more than aero and engine guys) and great engineering talent. Mercedes doesn't seem to be on a restrained budget but you could save a lot of money on Hamilton which would give you the opportunity to chase a Newey/Byrne/Brawn/Allison. You'd have to weigh the advantage you'd gain hiring then instead of a great driver.

I think Nico could have won a WC against a lot of drivers this year and MB may actually have been profitable doing it. Just a thought.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:03 AM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed! Merc would do well to let Hamilton go and spend some of his millions on engineering talent. With a dominant car, they could win both championships with solid B drivers that cost way less, get along with each other and tow the party line in the media. Then the news would be about victories and technical domination rather than wrestling cameos and late night sports car wrecks.

Rich

Quick Reply: Why Hate Hammy?