Sponsored by:

How to disable seat belt light in 996?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to disable seat belt light in 996?

I've got a track/street 996. I've just purchased a halo seat for DE, and my plan is to swap my current GT3 seat and the halo in and out as necessary for track events. I want to simplify the swap process as much as possible, and I would just as soon not worry about seat belt/airbag lights.

One thought is to purchase a used seat belt receptacle and "tongue," install this, and secure it under the seat. I can then leave a receptacle attached to the GT3 seat. One less thing to attach/reattach.

Here's where my questions come in: Can I just cut the wires to the seat belt receptacle and just splice something together? I'm not sure how it is wired, but is it just two wires that make a complete circuit when the tongue is inserted into the receptacle? If so, can I just connect those two wires?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:32 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

It's a simple thing with a PIWIS to deactivate the "monitoring" of the seat belts leaving the rest of the system functional. Cutting the wire will give you an error. Either change the airbag module coding with a PIWIS1 or PIWIS2, or use a click-in object in the buckle itself.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Bully67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My solution in a 986 boxster was to take of the binacle & remove the light bulb for the seat belt alert. Took about 10minutes
Old 12-23-2015, 07:01 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bully67
My solution in a 986 boxster was to take of the binacle & remove the light bulb for the seat belt alert. Took about 10minutes
I put a piece of black tape over the alert - took about one minute
Old 12-23-2015, 07:27 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

So does anyone know with any certainty whether in the case of a 2000 Carrera if the seat belt not being buckled (or the car not getting a signal that it is buckled) has any effects on function of the airbags?
Old 12-23-2015, 08:04 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

You are on the right track but the solution is even easier. Just by the male slug that goes into the seatbelt receiver. Cost me $5 from a junk year. I keep it in the side pocket.

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
I've got a track/street 996. I've just purchased a halo seat for DE, and my plan is to swap my current GT3 seat and the halo in and out as necessary for track events. I want to simplify the swap process as much as possible, and I would just as soon not worry about seat belt/airbag lights. One thought is to purchase a used seat belt receptacle and "tongue," install this, and secure it under the seat. I can then leave a receptacle attached to the GT3 seat. One less thing to attach/reattach. Here's where my questions come in: Can I just cut the wires to the seat belt receptacle and just splice something together? I'm not sure how it is wired, but is it just two wires that make a complete circuit when the tongue is inserted into the receptacle? If so, can I just connect those two wires?
Old 12-24-2015, 09:37 AM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by dan212
You are on the right track but the solution is even easier. Just by the male slug that goes into the seatbelt receiver. Cost me $5 from a junk year. I keep it in the side pocket.
This.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

If no scrape yard handy for salvaged tongue, DIY ... get some thick Alum sheet or plastic from some scrap item (Tupperware, 5gl drywall lid, etc), make a pattern of the seat belt tongue (add some to the top to help in removal), exactness matters in width, depth and hole position, then cut to a male "plug" to insert in the buckle.

Or eBay from China, but make sure they are the correct dimensions.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:24 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

It is better to recode the air bag module to ignore the seat belt input. the 2 stage air bag and side curtains will react differently also it disables the pretensions' in the seat belts. The recoding takes about 5 minutes.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Dave DE
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
Here's where my questions come in: Can I just cut the wires to the seat belt receptacle and just splice something together? I'm not sure how it is wired, but is it just two wires that make a complete circuit when the tongue is inserted into the receptacle? If so, can I just connect those two wires?
I was able to do this on my 987 by splicing the two wires together that go to the seat belt receptacle.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Bully67
Racer

Originally Posted by dgmark
It is better to recode the air bag module to ignore the seat belt input. the 2 stage air bag and side curtains will react differently also it disables the pretensions' in the seat belts. The recoding takes about 5 minutes.
Not to hijack the thread but do you have link to recoding? I've looked it up without much success. Specifically I would like to recode a set of O2 Sensors. The fabspeed exhaust has a place for 2 sensors & that leaves 2 with an error signal and CEL on. I Check and reset the light frequently but it just pops up again.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:15 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bully67
Not to hijack the thread but do you have link to recoding? I've looked it up without much success. Specifically I would like to recode a set of O2 Sensors. The fabspeed exhaust has a place for 2 sensors & that leaves 2 with an error signal and CEL on. I Check and reset the light frequently but it just pops up again.
Recoding is a misnomer, There are option functions built into the car that can be turned on or off with higher level scan tools that have bi-directional control, Seat belt options is one built into the air bag module as well as selecting seats without air bags.
Your problem can be corrected by using O2 extenders on the post cat O2s sensors if you are running with high flow cats.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:15 PM
JGB
Instructor

This is what I used:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+porsche&rt=nc

Jim
Old 01-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got a receptacle with wires and male tongue from a recycler for $40. Wired in and stashed under the seat. That will keep seat belt warnings off.

Original receptacle (for use during street driving) is attached to GT3 seat with wire zip tied under the seat.

Next week I take the car to a shop to fabricate some mounting hardware for a Sparco Circuit II halo seat. Swapping the seats should end up being pretty easy.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in.

Quick Reply: How to disable seat belt light in 996?