Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Scale Windtunnel Testing

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know of a similar wind tunnel in Texas?
Old 01-28-2016, 12:34 AM
Ernie J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None in Texas I know about.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 AM
chartersb
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

This was the screen record of the 100mph step on the baseline run for a customer. Everything is measured at the 4 contact patches. There are as many steps as you want between 0 - 160MPH (240k). There's a print out of each step as well as a rolling graph and data record.

On the screen in the control room, you can see the previous 3 speed steps just below the current speed.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersb
This was the screen record of the 100mph step on the baseline run for a customer. Everything is measured at the 4 contact patches. There are as many steps as you want between 0 - 160MPH (240k). There's a print out of each step as well as a rolling graph and data record.

On the screen in the control room, you can see the previous 3 speed steps just below the current speed.
very cool
this output is particularly interesting because of how one side so different from the other. odd how that is even possible, unless the car was in yaw . But that would be interesting to know. (sorry , didnt mean to get too much off topic)

I would be nice to have time in the tunnel. kind of far away. in the mean time, im going to have to approach nasa ames to let me use theirs sometime.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:40 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

The turntable the entire car sits on in the wind tunnel could be in yaw but the car is square on the measurement pads. I wasn't there for this particular test but if the front wheels are not perfectly straight you can induce a L-R variance. Small things can have have big effects with aero and sometimes big things have little effect. Anything will effect everything, you just can't know exactly how much until you measure it.

For anyone in the East, the UOIT wind tunnel is in Oshawa, Ont., 15 minutes from Mosport. If you're going to Mosport, an hour or two at the tunnel could pay off.

Quick Reply: Full Scale Windtunnel Testing