Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wears racing suit for DE events

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

For various DE events I have attended through the years, I have usually worn a suit, but not always. I have not always worn a suit while instructing at DE events.

Interesting to note that my PCA region required a driver's suit for DE/Time Trial after your first two events. This rule when already in place when I arrived circa 1991. So for those events I always wore a suit.

Last year, for the first time, I tried a fire retardant undergarment-- a Traqgear lightweight shirt. Lasted two events then ripped to shreds. Too flimsy. Quite disappointing.

I will probably buy a Sparco, Freem or similar undershirt this year.

I think there are many more suits with lighter materials now than when I started, so folks have more choices if they want to buy a suit that can be tolerable in hotter weather.

I have seen a lot of interesting outfits at DE's and even in light duty races. The strangest one I saw was a guy wearing a 70's era polyester/ or whatever track warm up suit. I think he was an Eastern European.

Have not seen too many fires in my 30 years of track driving and racing, but as McQueen said... it can happen to ya. Last June I saw one at Sears Point-- we all were sure the driver was burned alive. Luckily he was out before we caught sight of the incident. He was trying to make it into the pit lane, going slowly with a disabled car. Got rear ended. I was told the issue was a fuel leak and he knew about it. Lots of damage to the car and the track. Sobering.

Years ago, a racer I know had a fire sparked by static electricity when he was fueling his 356 race car. Apparently he was using the ubiquitous plastic funnel and ubiquitous fuel bottle... when they touched flames erupted. Luckily no one was hurt and the car wasn't too badly damaged. My friend/engine builder had an alum. funnel made as a result of his customer's experience... I am always reminded when I see it.

I weigh my canopy down with 5 gallon buckets of water-- I figure it might be handy if I have an issue in the paddock.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts

I always wear my suit nown. I even just ordered a made to measure OMP.

Besides the safety part, for.menits part of my performance switch to be mentally ready to drive.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:50 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

You don't have to look too hard to find videos of worst-case scenarios involving fire. They don't happen often, but man, when they do the results can be devastating. Someone posted a video here a few years ago of a car running (in NASA maybe?) that caught fire while on track. The guy stopped quickly and dove out of the car in like 10 seconds from the time the fire started. He was wearing full gear but wound up with third degree burns over a substantial portion of his body. Imagine if that had happened during a DE, and he had jeans and a t shirt on ...

Scott
Old 04-28-2018, 11:16 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Nice site! Good job on the review. Very informative.

I’ll add that folks need to prepare for the worst, especially if driving a purpose built car.

Last week, I was leaning checking a camera inside a pro-built Trans Am car at a Track day while the owner was starting the car and warming It up. Unbeknownst to both of us, it was about to get very warm inside and out.

About thirty seconds after ignition, we heard it before we saw it, a huge wall of flame into the passenger compartment from numerous openings in the firewall (hmmm) area and around the trans tunnel. The car was on fire!

Turns out one of the end caps off the fuel rail had loosened/fallen off and filled the vee with fuel. It finally poured down the back of the motor over the bellhousing and ignited on the right side header collector.

The driver was in a t-shirt and shorts (after all, he was just starting the car to warm it up, right?) but still took a good amount of time to get out through the fixed window opening. I leaned back in to trip the fire system (had to pull the pin first) and then realized that the power was still on for the fuel pump even though he had turned off the ignition before exiting the car.

It was really scary. And thankfully, no one was hurt. But everyone should prepare for a) the quickest shut down and exit plan from a car on fire, b) having extinguishers ready and available and c) every moment in the car you need to be prepared.
A couple of years ago, PCA issued a warning that they were going to start checking for holes in fire walls. I haven't actually seen anybody checked but you really wouldn't think they would have to.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:18 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
A couple of years ago, PCA issued a warning that they were going to start checking for holes in fire walls. I haven't actually seen anybody checked but you really wouldn't think they would have to.
It use to be a common practice to run the fuel and oil lines through the driver's compartment. That is something I would really think needs to be checked.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:36 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I only wear my suit when it’s required for racing. DE with a race suit is just too embarassing.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:23 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Fumes
I only wear my suit when it’s required for racing. DE with a race suit is just too embarassing.
Good thing issues only come up in racing.

Lots of veterans posting stories in this thread, great resource!
Old 04-29-2018, 08:55 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Good thing issues only come up in racing.

Lots of veterans posting stories in this thread, great resource!
Look, to each their own. I don't DE much and in my opinion modern cars are very safe regarding fire. If i was in an old car I may feel differently, but I'd rather not deal with changing clothes. I'm lazy. It's a personal choice
Old 04-29-2018, 10:05 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 1,616 Posts

You are still young and invincible is the issue. I realize I am neither anymore and want to save my skin (both literally and figuratively.)
Old 04-29-2018, 04:11 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Look, to each their own. I don't DE much and in my opinion modern cars are very safe regarding fire. If i was in an old car I may feel differently, but I'd rather not deal with changing clothes. I'm lazy. It's a personal choice
My friend lost it in the kink at Road America in a 996 street car and when the rear end hit the wall, the car started on fire.

The people making fun of suits at DE’s aren’t anyone you should be concerned with earning their respect anyways.

I’d have to imagine that having limbs scarred by skin grafts from burns is going to be way more embarrassing when out in the general public than wearing your suit at a small driving event.

But you’re right: to each their own.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:34 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Fire doesn't know its only a DE.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:20 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT944 Spec
I just tried out my own TraqGear underwear and they are awesome! So much so that I wrote a review on them:
https://tracksideinnovation.com/tq1

Just my two-cents' worth on the subject. I will always wear at least nomex underwear and balaclava if I'm instructing someone in a street car with all interior intact. If the car is stripped out, I'll upgrade to the race suit on top - it's just not worth the risk!
Hey, just saw this. Thank you! And big thanks for bringing this thread back. Some good info on here and a lot by DE/Race veterans. There will always be the guys that aren't fans of wearing a suit in a DE. But, street cars can go up in flames just like a race car. Perhaps not as likely, (that is debatable) but certainly catch fire and burn quite often. The difference I see is that street cars still have a full interior with much of it being plastic. Plastic doesn't come from rubber trees anymore as they are primarily made from petroleum, which is why you see street cars become infernos rather quickly when they do catch fire.

My suggestion: Wear a suit. If you don't want to wear a suit, then at least wear something FR. Lots of stuff out there that you can wear that looks like normal clothes and is flame resistant. Cotton and poly does not qualify.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 05-01-2018, 12:18 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

The people making fun of suits at DE’s aren’t anyone you should be concerned with earning their respect anyways.

I had an accident 2 years ago at a DE and the only thing I could think of as I heard dripping fluids was "why didn't I wear a suit!" as I had all of the other safety gear on (harnesses, cage, hans, etc.). At a DE this weekend I wore my suit and while people looked at me a bit strange since I am "just an intermediate driver" I don't really care. A few bucks to be safer is a no-brainer to me, even if it is a little hot. At the same time I don't try to judge the guys with GT3s and Turbos with full Hoosiers and PSM on missing every apex and claiming how fast they are (when they are probably 10 seconds a lap slower than what their car can do.. but I digress...)
Old 05-01-2018, 12:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
As far as being seen as a douche at a DE event, don't wear it at the drivers meeting or lunch.
Or at the hotel breakfast...
Old 05-01-2018, 12:30 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Or at the hotel breakfast...
If it is cool weather out, and I am lazy, I wear my race suit to the track and back home.

I stopped for gas just a few weeks ago near Lime Rock and some old guy says, in a very mocking way, "what do you think you are some kind of race car driver?" and goes vroom vroom. I just laughed and said, "Actually I am a race car driver." I smiled, got back in my truck and pulled off.

Who cares what people think? I saved about ten minutes by not having to suit up twice in one morning! I'd consider driving to the track in my underwear in warmer weather if my wife didn't stop me. IDGAF!

Quick Reply: Who wears racing suit for DE events