Sponsored by:

Who wears racing suit for DE events

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 10:18 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I've been asked as instructor by students about wearing the suit where the student doesn't want to look like "that douche" at a DE in a racing suit. My response is simple, wear it. The whole douche in a racing suit thing has much more to do with the person's attitude than the mere wearing of the suit.

-Mike
Douches dont burn....I'm a douche...
Old 08-29-2018, 02:00 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Wear it if you have it, just dont be that guy that wears it in the morning to fill up his car at the gas station on the way to the track .............
In the fall and spring when it is cold in the morning I am that guy!

When I retire my current race suit I think I am going to use it to shovel snow.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:05 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Electrical Fires are the trickiest, hardest to put out, and probably the most likely without a crash. IMHO.
usually start small, but if you can't disconnect quickly it can engulf a car...
Old 08-30-2018, 01:12 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything to help prevent death.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:50 AM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year I got an OMP Evo One suit........it's fantastic and actually cooler to wear than a pair of jeans.

I wear that during the hot days and my old suit for the cold ones..........better safety, combined with better comfort. It's a win-win.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:14 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
"Can't imagine why you wouldn't. I'd wear it around town if it was socially acceptable �� "

I laugh at the guys that go fill up there cars on the way to the track in there nomex suits.......
Acceptable answer:

"I'm practicing fuel stops for the next endurance race."

(Yes, I bumped an old thread!)
Old 09-09-2023, 11:56 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

I always wear my race suit, gloves and shoes when i'm instructing at a DE, just as I wear a helmet, a Simpson Hybrid S, and a seat belt. As I've often said, "Fire doesn't know it's just a DE."

Oh, and I did a race in June in which the car in front of me exploded, hit the Armco head-on, and burnt to the ground. The driver got out unharmed. These safety devices really do work!
Old 09-10-2023, 12:16 AM
Hwy
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SWK6Cup
Been wearing a single layer suit for a long time, last year I upgraded to wearing Rogers' Traqgear stuff as an underlayer. His stuff is amazing! So, now I have a 2 layer suit set-up.......to each his own........ not too concerned about what "they" say....... it's my ***.
... and that is a mighty fine *** you have in your graphics.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:11 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,691 Likes on 937 Posts

I wouldn't bother ever wearing a race suit in a stock street car.

If the car is stock a race suit is likely to be of negative value due to increased chance of heat exhaustion/dehydration which will increase the risk of a crash. I do not believe there is any measurable advantage for fire safety provided by a racing suit on a stock street car due to the burn time required for a fire to penetrate the cabin. If you or the track emergency crew can't extricate yourself from a car in 10 minutes 15 seconds extra burn time isn't going to help you at all.

If the car is a race car, or has been modified to compromise the factory safety for fire (removing interior, opening up panels, relocating fuel, mucking with the fueling, etc) a race suit should be required. If it is an open cockpit car like a radical or spec ford racer or some open wheel car, a race suit should be required too.
The following users liked this post:
TRAKCAR (09-10-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 12:27 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 384 Posts

Our club requires you to wear a race suit in any caged or open wheel race car, but no requirement in a street car.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:01 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao

If the car is stock a race suit is likely to be of negative value due to increased chance of heat exhaustion/dehydration which will increase the risk of a crash. I do not believe there is any measurable advantage for fire safety provided by a racing suit on a stock street car due to the burn time required for a fire to penetrate the cabin. If you or the track emergency crew can't extricate yourself from a car in 10 minutes 15 seconds extra burn time isn't going to help you at all.

If the car is a race car, or has been modified to compromise the factory safety for fire (removing interior, opening up panels, relocating fuel, mucking with the fueling, etc) a race suit should be required. If it is an open cockpit car like a radical or spec ford racer or some open wheel car, a race suit should be required too.
If you had ever seen a 991 GT3 catch fire at a DE event you may change your mind
The following users liked this post:
NastyHabits (09-12-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 02:00 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao

Keep in mind that at a DE event your windows are always down (unless in a Cup) and that in a violent collision the integrity of the cabin may very well be violated.

While I agree that the risk of a fire incident can be smaller in most modern street cars, I wouldn't necessarily feel the same way in a 25 year old Boxster or a 35 year old 944. We wear a race suit because that 10 seconds can be the difference between feeling like you got a bad sunburn and a skin graft. Its insurance against something you hope will never happen.
The following 4 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
9114609048 (09-11-2023), Matt Romanowski (09-11-2023), mlct (09-11-2023), NastyHabits (09-12-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 07:51 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

I heard rumors there was a firery two car collision at Laguna Seca at turn 5 or 6 (?) with 'super cars' a year or two ago. It must have been on here or instagram - no photos - but it did not sound good. They said a helicopter was required.

Now that I have a piece of safety equipment (required for Radford Driving School) it is hard for me to justify not using it. If you are that dehydrated and exhausted from wearing a suit for f**ks sake pull into the pits and take a break. Consider a basic exercise program. Furthermore, if you are that physical in the car you probably should be wearing a suit. Plus the suits have the shoulder grab straps to drag your **** out of the car in an emergency.

On the other hand I think Carhart has some fire rated work clothes I would consider. Just don't understand the hot shoe that wears nylon shorts and a t-shirt. The track operators nor event host seems to have a problem with it.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

The only fire I ever had was in a DE. Yes, I was wearing full gear. Some guy at the drivers meeting gave me the stink eye because, despite driving on track for thirty years by then, I had a nice new crispy Sparco on. Damn glad I did…
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
LuigiVampa (09-12-2023), NastyHabits (09-12-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 08:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 783 Likes on 508 Posts

I was in a students car at a DE and it caught fire when we were debriefing in the pits. Oil started leaking near the turbo and caught fire. We smelled it and saw a little smoke and thought it was the brakes, then it was more smoke, we jumped out to see the flames starting. We were able to put it out quickly and with very little damage, but he did get a new motor. The other time was when a 951 broke (shocking!) and we pulled off in the grass at Tremblant. The grass under the car started to catch fire and the corner works just looked at us since they are not allowed to leave the station. We jumped out with the handheld extinguisher and put the very small fire out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
Locker537 (09-12-2023), LuigiVampa (09-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Who wears racing suit for DE events