Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Cup 2 lasting only two track days

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey I also run MPSC2's on my 991S. I had my garage adjust as much camber as possible in front. I'm finding that I'm lucky to get 20 sessions out of them. I don't heat cycle before as its not necessary with these tires. Michelin also says that they will be heat cycled out after 24 sessions but more likely before that time. I run them at Michelin recommended temps which are 24-26 cold and 33-36 hot. Front and back same. Yes they wear out like crazy but are good for at least a 2-5 second lap improvement. If the time is important than you need to pay the price. Also don't forget that using r compound tires is harder on your brakes as your stopping power increases with the additional grip. I had to upgrade to pagid rs29 and now need a/m rotors. All in the name of more speed!
Old 03-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540

How about a move to a more durable tire like the NT-01 or even the new RE71R? These will not give up much grip at all compared to the MPSC and will definately last longer.
I don't think that the RE71R come in Porsche sizes for the rears
Old 03-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
I don't think that the RE71R come in Porsche sizes for the rears
The main point it's that an R comp is silly for a beginner or intermediate driver at HPDE events. Especially considering the safety equipment being run. For the same cost as 1 set of MPSCs, you could buy a dedicated set of wheels in sizes that allow for a wider selection of sticky street tires.

Hiring a private coach for green group HPDE experience? The purpose of an instructed HPDE session is to learn basic car control with the safety net of a highly qualified shoe. I know it is hard when you are showing up in a car that is capable of near 996 cup times in stock form to not worry about every tenth, but this is ridiculous. The safety aspect alone is terrifying.....

Sorry to sound like a grump, but nothing scares me more than a beginner driver on racing slicks driving in a non instructed advance run group because his car is fast enough to outrun all the advanced drivers in old low HP cars.

This is not meant to be directed to the OP at all, so I apologize if this offends anybody, but there are posts every week about cotton underwear, and a thread like this doesnt even get a mention in regard to the safety aspect of the OPs situation. End RANT and have a great weekend!
Old 03-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

I can't find any other r compounds in the correct size. I would like to use the NT01 but again can't seem to get sizing that will work. 18's don't fit on the 991S. I was told that some 997 wheels - 19 inch - will fit but I can't confirm. You would need to try them. Let me know if you find something as the cost and availability of the mpsc2's really limits my choices.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:11 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
The main point it's that an R comp is silly for a beginner or intermediate driver at HPDE events. Especially considering the safety equipment being run. For the same cost as 1 set of MPSCs, you could buy a dedicated set of wheels in sizes that allow for a wider selection of sticky street tires.

Hiring a private coach for green group HPDE experience? The purpose of an instructed HPDE session is to learn basic car control with the safety net of a highly qualified shoe. I know it is hard when you are showing up in a car that is capable of near 996 cup times in stock form to not worry about every tenth, but this is ridiculous. The safety aspect alone is terrifying.....

Sorry to sound like a grump, but nothing scares me more than a beginner driver on racing slicks driving in a non instructed advance run group because his car is fast enough to outrun all the advanced drivers in old low HP cars.

This is not meant to be directed to the OP at all, so I apologize if this offends anybody, but there are posts every week about cotton underwear, and a thread like this doesnt even get a mention in regard to the safety aspect of the OPs situation. End RANT and have a great weekend!
+1
Old 03-06-2016, 12:36 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 101 Posts

I can't recall if those tires are directional or not, but I would also be swapping them side to side at the end of day 1 before day 2 of your DE. Or half way through the event if it's a 1 day DE. If they are directional find something else that isn't and swap as mentioned. 991 has plenty of power and inherent grip. I would go with something that is harder and will last longer. Try a MPSS. They're superb and last forever. I have used them at the track with my 911 when I haven't felt like trailering and I can assure you, they're fast enough for DE.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

I totally agree with comments that no one should start on slicks or even R compound - but don't forget that GT3s now come standard with mpsc2's so some new track drivers will start there. Of course everyone should get some professional coaching if they plan to track regularly. Good coaches can be found at your Porsche club de days and they can provide references to other coaches. As for the MPSC2's they are much better than MPSS - no comparison in grip. MPSC2's now have a TR of 180 which is a big improvement over the original Cup tires. With proper inflation, camber and a smooth driving style (hardest part) the tires will perform as advertised and should last 20- 24 sessions (20-30 minutes). This is based on my experience and that of others I drive with. The tires are not directional and should be changed from side to side to get more even wearing.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Surfer161
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at tech tactics east today. The Michelin man strongly satiated that tire wear/ grip depends on hot PSI of 34-38 psi.

Driving watkins Glen with MS cup tires I stop every 30 min and let air out to drop PSI to 34 to 36

More important than I thought.

Be safe

Surfer161
Old 03-07-2016, 02:44 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

I'm killing my ( new last year) Pirelli PZero N specs. They last about 2 seasons but show distortion after about 5 track days. Not a big fan of the tires but it's the only 20" available in N spec here in Ontario.

I have to qualify this: I usually track at Mosport and try to limit each session to around 30 mins but hey, sometimes it's longer. It's an open track all day!…except for lunch but that's it. The group is advanced with Pro teams testing so it's fast on a demanding circuit.

My pressure is constantly kept at 34 front and 38psi rear when hot but the front left takes a beating.

I wonder if I should consider getting another set of track tires stored and installed for event days.

Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Surfer161 thanks for the confirmation on tire pressure from the Michelin rep. Some tire dealers are recommending way too high a pressure. I think that 38 should be the absolute max and good idea about stepping off the track to adjust as needed.

Keith as for N spec, the MPSC2's are NO rated in 20 inch. I previously had a 2012 Cayman S Black, and ran MPSS tires (not N rated). Loved them and they did last as much as you would expect for tire run on the track. If you get 2 seasons out of a set, I assume at least 5 days per season (with about 4-5 sessions per day) that's not too bad. MPSS have TR of 300 and MPSC2 180 both are good for the type of tire. I didn't like the PZero's which just chunked off my 991S. While MPSS may not be N rated I can tell you from experience on my Cayman that they were great and lasted much longer than MPSC2's.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:57 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 808 Posts

Not sure on the MPSC vs MPSC2 pressure requirements and if they differ, but here is what I found.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Michelin_Care_and_Feeding.pdf (4.33 MB, 136 views)
Old 03-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kirkeym
Surfer161 thanks for the confirmation on tire pressure from the Michelin rep. Some tire dealers are recommending way too high a pressure. I think that 38 should be the absolute max and good idea about stepping off the track to adjust as needed.

Keith as for N spec, the MPSC2's are NO rated in 20 inch. I previously had a 2012 Cayman S Black, and ran MPSS tires (not N rated). Loved them and they did last as much as you would expect for tire run on the track. If you get 2 seasons out of a set, I assume at least 5 days per season (with about 4-5 sessions per day) that's not too bad. MPSS have TR of 300 and MPSC2 180 both are good for the type of tire. I didn't like the PZero's which just chunked off my 991S. While MPSS may not be N rated I can tell you from experience on my Cayman that they were great and lasted much longer than MPSC2's.
Wow! That's my experience as well. I put MPSS's on my Boxster and loved them. Grip, predictable and controllable. The chunks and tears in the rears of the PZ's was disturbing. They break loose with very little warning. Good in the rain.

Thanks for sharing, your experience with similar cars and tires mirrors mine.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

keep the pressures in the low 30 range hot.
get more neg camber as you say, you are stock, so , stock cars roll more , right? so that means you need more camber with more body roll
you are burning the outside edges, and that kills the tire, even before you see cords. (and you are not getting the benefit of the other 80% of the tire in most cases, especially as that section heat cycles out.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:17 PM
CMS
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

We can help you with a set of Pirelli Trofeo R if you want to try them. We have been very happy with them and are getting a lot more than 2 days out of them

Originally Posted by revolution225

Any other track tires option available for 305/30/20, 245/35/20? Doesn't seem like I have any choices unless I go down to 19"......

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,886 Likes on 2,228 Posts

I've gone through numerous sets of Cup 2, and know others who've done the same. They should last much longer than two track days. As others have said, check tire pressures and alignment, flip tires left/right as needed, and don't overdrive the tires (take it a bit easy during during initial laps when tire pressures are still low, and back off if the tires are getting greasy from overheating). Tire wear does substantially vary between tracks also.

Quick Reply: Michelin Cup 2 lasting only two track days