Sponsored by:

Input on Sebring laps in 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 04:59 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Input on Sebring laps in 991 GT3

Here are two laps from this weekend PCA DE. It is my second event with the 991 GT3 and my 4th event at Sebring, so I know my line and car control need work. The car is stock except for harness cage and safety equipment, Hans, harnesses, etc.

Appreciate constructive feedback.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I thought it was a really nice lap! pretty timely post given the discussion about NJMP and shift points... love the green target RPM area to maximize HP. You are never WOT unless you are in that area. (turn 3/5/7/tower)
Nice job.
Looks like a FUN ride! what kind of tires if you mind me asking?
Question.. How do you integrate the Harry's lap timer to your video?
as i always seem to have to ask... you should put the video back a little so you can see your footwork and steering input. the lap might look great, but no one will be able to see if you are fighting the car in any particular areas. PLUS, its much more entertaining to see the steering work.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,426 Likes on 764 Posts

Mark, have you ever been there?
I thought not...

Second lap uses more apex curbing which is good. Anywhere apex curbing is smudged, dark gray, you should use it. Use more in 15 and 15a and 16. Try a slightly broader radius arc in 17...that inside line isn't your friend in that car IMO.

Overall some smooth laps!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:59 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I thought not...

Second lap uses more apex curbing which is good. Anywhere apex curbing is smudged, dark gray, you should use it. Use more in 15 and 15a and 16. Try a slightly broader radius arc in 17...that inside line isn't your friend in that car IMO.

You are going mental on us.. spare us your petty bickering. My ONLY comment was that he was in the green zone of the RPM range without error.
(a concept seeming very foreign to you) otherwise, i thought those were very nice laps. Do you think between those two comments you needed to air out your ego ? What, did your dog crap in your cornflakes this morning?
Old 04-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 204 Posts

Out of curiosity, does that "HP" widget on your video correspond to the power that your car truly makes? I don't think I've ever seen that before.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Out of curiosity, does that "HP" widget on your video correspond to the power that your car truly makes? I don't think I've ever seen that before.
It's a range of HP sweet spot after gear shift. (Or when you are going to be at WOT, like when he rolls onto the throttle at turn14.) My guess would have to be programed in during set up. That way you know your optimal HP operational range. That's a pretty cool widget. I have the lap timer and would want to integrate it to my video too. just wondering what it will take. integration with go-pro? Looks like its tied into the AIM system or equiv
Old 04-18-2016, 09:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,426 Likes on 764 Posts

Oh geez ...
Old 04-18-2016, 09:48 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Never learns
Old 04-18-2016, 10:31 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Man there's a lot going on in that video! I really need to look into Harry's lap timer...

Was that a Suncoast event? I didn't realize they were putting cones ON the track.
I don't like the cones in T17. at least the 1st 2. I like a wider entry to avoid the bump
But I guess its the safer school line..

IMHO, I'd say you want to be a little later on some of the apexes. T5, T9, T14, T15

over all, nice and smooth... looks good!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:59 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Very good given your relatively new ride - I'm jealous of your acceleration!

There are some folks with a ton more experience than me - but from what I can see -

You can carry a little more speed into 1 - slowly inch up your entry speed into the corner - watch your braking into 13 - you can carry more speed in bishops bend - but do a little more arch and start your turn in earlier to position the car on the left side for the right hander. You can use more of the curbing 14 and 16 (and carry a little more speed into 16) - on 17 I like a little deeper entry (as in delay a 1/2 second before you turn in) and get on the gas before the bridge - that will help your car rotate - you need to be closer to the middle of the bridge (under the green dot on the overhead portion) and about a car width from the apex near the flag station to avoid the bigger bumps (one under the bridge, one close to the flag station apex)

A later apex allows you to put on power earlier - it's also safer if you want to slowly and incrementally increase your corner speeds.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:19 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I thought not...

Thanks! I am used to Thunderbolt/Lightning where the most curbing is smooth, my first event at Sebring shook my fillings, so I have been staying off the curbs, and slowly learning which ones I can use. Looking at 15, 15a and 16 it seems from the coloration that they get a lot of traffic. Safe to use.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:26 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
Man there's a lot going on in that video! I really need to look into Harry's lap timer...

Was that a Suncoast event? I didn't realize they were putting cones ON the track.
I don't like the cones in T17. at least the 1st 2. I like a wider entry to avoid the bump
But I guess its the safer school line..

IMHO, I'd say you want to be a little later on some of the apexes. T5, T9, T14, T15

over all, nice and smooth... looks good!
Yes, a Suncoast event. They are forcing a specific arch through 5 and limiting the arc in 17. Maybe it's just me but I have found bumps everywhere in 17! What I am learning is how amazingly stable the GT3 is despite the bumps, side loading and acceleration.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:32 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
This is a part of Harry's app (Gran Prix version, maybe others) that appears when you identify the car used; if your car is in his database and the profile is downloaded with HP curves and gearing. For the GT3 it uses 469hp not 475, not sure why, maybe European DIN published rating?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:36 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,877 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing
Thanks! I am used to Thunderbolt/Lightning where the most curbing is smooth, my first event at Sebring shook my fillings, so I have been staying off the curbs, and slowly learning which ones I can use.

Looking at 15, 15a and 16 it seems from the coloration that they get a lot of traffic. Safe to use.
Yes, the TBolt curbing is particularly good!

T3 at the end is high (berm), T5 is high, T7 is high. The others, not so much.

A few notes on your second lap at T15-T16

4:08 pinching center of Bishops causes mid track exit. Need to exit left of center, line up and brake left of center and turn into T15 from left of center.
4:11 the turn in geometry you're looking for is to cross the 12"-16" wide sealer strip in the center with your RIGHT tires NOT BEFORE the beginning of the curb, then work back to the beginning of the sealer, again using the right front tire position to cross at that point on.
4:13 still early...
4:14 coming away from the apex curbing too soon, delays WOT
4:15 part throttle, should strive for full for a short time
4:17 MUST have full throttle applied here for braking to be effective into T16
4:18 straddle the seam between the asphalt on track and the concrete to the left. Why turn AWAY from the desired path? Braking too early by just a scooch.
4:21 MUCH better than the first lap, but need to use more inside curb

Looks like you know the car well.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-19-2016, 12:54 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I thought it was a really nice lap! pretty timely post given the discussion about NJMP and shift points... love the green target RPM area to maximize HP. You are never WOT unless you are in that area. (turn 3/5/7/tower)
Nice job.
Looks like a FUN ride! what kind of tires if you mind me asking?
Question.. How do you integrate the Harry's lap timer to your video?
as i always seem to have to ask... you should put the video back a little so you can see your footwork and steering input. the lap might look great, but no one will be able to see if you are fighting the car in any particular areas. PLUS, its much more entertaining to see the steering work.
Thanks! The tires are Michelin Cup 2s. Excellent grip. I use an IPhone for the video so the data overlay is integrated in Harry's. I tried a second IPhone mounted on the passenger side with Harry's multi cam app that was supposed to capture me and overlay it in the place of the Ref lap video, but I couldn't get the two IPhones to talk. Will try it at home first next time to make sure I can work it at the track. Harry's has a lot of capability with Apple but I always struggled with go pro sync and Harry's.

Quick Reply: Input on Sebring laps in 991 GT3