Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

2016 Spanish Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 12:25 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
how much money did Mercedes spend before both cars are in the gravel broken in turn 4? OMG!!!
I call that a Kia.(they have taken themselves out twice in WC at miller, once running 1,2 going to the checker flag once at the start) What did just the steering wheel cost that Hamilton threw?
Old 05-15-2016, 12:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

I'm sorry, but this is funny as hell. What a bunch of tools.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:50 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

very well done young Max. Fantastic drive and did so well despite Kimi biting at his heals in the latter stages

The red cars did a good job to finish 2 and 3 although Seb may have been challenged again albeit for Ricardos flat tyre near the end.

Also kudos to Massa who recovered well from his back of the pack starting position.

Wonder how this is all going to fall out at Merc....I think Hammy is already looking at other things outside of F1.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:54 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

What a great race. Congrats max
Old 05-15-2016, 01:06 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Regardless of the first lap crash with Mercedes that was a good race! I think Ricciardo would have ended up on the podium without the puncture.

Verstappen's drive was simply impressive. This guy seems to be the real deal.

Somewhere, Kvyat is mulling his future back in go-karts.
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Regardless of the first lap crash with Mercedes that was a good race! I think Ricciardo would have ended up on the podium without the puncture.

Verstappen's drive was simply impressive. This guy seems to be the real deal.

Somewhere, Kvyat is mulling his future back in go-karts.
Agreed. And what an FU to Kvyat to have the 17-year old, oh I mean 18-year old, Max take his ride and win with it.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:17 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, one of the best races in a very long time.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:23 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

I watched the post race analysis on Sky where they reviewed the incar actions by Rosberg.......he started the race in the wrong mode (battery recovery) and thats why he lost pace exiting turn 2/3 he was fiddling with steering wheel buttons looked in his mirror to see Hammy coming at him at full speed then moved over........the things the drivers are doing at +190mph within 30 secs of start!!!

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...crash-analysed
Old 05-15-2016, 03:49 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
I watched the post race analysis on Sky where they reviewed the incar actions by Rosberg.......he started the race in the wrong mode (battery recovery) and thats why he lost pace exiting turn 2/3 he was fiddling with steering wheel buttons looked in his mirror to see Hammy coming at him at full speed then moved over........the things the drivers are doing at +190mph within 30 secs of start!!!

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...crash-analysed
I have to agree with Nico. He was ahead and it was his right to close the door on Hammy. There was no overlap at all and he only made one move. Hammy went anyway and is lucky that they called it a "racing incident".

It is ridiculous how much they have to do with settings and buttons. It makes Verstappen's win all the more impressive since he had only been in the car for the first time this weekend.

Kimi even seemed to have a glint of humor during the press conference when he joked about racing against Verstappen's father.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:51 PM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

With the mclarens out best race in a long time for sure..

Kimi's comment with his tires going away while trying to chase down verstoppen "he thinks he's fast but he's not" was priceless. Old school refusing to admit the kids talented..
Old 05-15-2016, 06:32 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Very interesting race despite the track being a bore and the downforce making passing extremely difficult. On that note, I agree with Hobbs, Matchett, and Diffy; don't crank more downforce on the cars. It's going to make things worse (although it will possibly put RB in step with MB).

The opening lap crash was a tough call. My understanding is that if the car is along side you then you have to yield car's width gap for further racing. Here's the best photo I've found:

If based on this picture Lewis is "technically" along side Nico (front wing equal to rear tire) then Nico is at fault (though it would be very difficult for him to know that's where Lewis was). If Lewis isn't considered to be along side, then it's his fault for forcing the issue. I would chalk this up to being as much a racing incident as driver fault.

Congrats to Max. Flawless drive today and shows how much feel he's got to jump into a new car and haul the mail. That said, as people's expectations grow (including his own), it will be interesting to see how he copes with pressure. My ear drums still hurt from his previous race whining when he and Sainz were competing.

Speaking of whining, I know Vettel has had a rough few races but I'm starting to get tired of his outbursts as well. I don't care as much about the outbursts (I get it's a heat of the moment type of thing), I'm reading more into the entitled attitude in the car. His demeanor was very good after he cooled down in Sochi, but I get the impression that he thinks all passes with the current formula making passing as difficult as it is are going to be nice and clean. They're not.

The guy I feel the worst for today is Ricciardo. He should have taken victory but they gave his race away by botching the strategy. They let Vettel get ahead (so they lost to Ferrari on that strategy call), and he lost the bigger strategy call of going with the one they employed with Max. The puncture was just the icing on the cake. It will be very, very interesting to see if RB start to favor the marketable young Dutchman much like they seemed to do with Vettel (opting to move away from Webber).
Old 05-15-2016, 06:39 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=JCL59;13289958]

Kimi's comment with his tires going away while trying to chase down verstoppen "he thinks he's fast but he's not" was priceless. Old school refusing to admit the kids talented..[/QUOTE

Ahh, you're quoting Button, not Kimi.

Great race only because of Hamilton's screw up. So glad Nico defended (fairly) his position. This will finally put LH on notice that Nico will not roll over any more. This will probably turn out to be a deciding moment in this year's championship. I expect to Nico will go on to win his first and probably only WDC.

Ricciardo made an asshat move. He was too far back and over cooked the corner. If Vettel had not moved off his line DR would have taken them both out. He new Max was going to beat him in his first race in the car DR has been driving for years and just got desperate.

I hope the Mercs take each other out more often so we can watch enjoyable racing for a change.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

That was a perfect example of the warnings every racer has heard, "you can't win the race in the first few corners but you certainly can lose it there" as both of these asshats did. Nico came all the way across the track to block Hammy and Louis didn't lift when things got very tight and he was running out of room I thought there'd be a fistfight once the cars came to a stop (my $ is on Rosberg)

Verstappen had the run of his life and clearly he's got the talent to keep going, especially at his age. Vettels radio comments are entertaining, just as F1 intends to be. I'd bet every other driver has comments that aren't aired during the broadcast that are just as entertaining.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:25 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Rosberg closed the door too late IMO. Hammy already had his nose in and as a result he had no where to go.

A racing incident, but I'd say Nico was more at fault than Hammy.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:27 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I have to agree with Nico. He was ahead and it was his right to close the door on Hammy. There was no overlap at all and he only made one move. Hammy went anyway and is lucky that they called it a "racing incident".

It is ridiculous how much they have to do with settings and buttons. It makes Verstappen's win all the more impressive since he had only been in the car for the first time this weekend.

Kimi even seemed to have a glint of humor during the press conference when he joked about racing against Verstappen's father.
Agreed.

Apparently Ricciardo was robbed of the win by strategy: (http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/36297935). Imagine what we'd be saying if one of his dive bomb moves had taken out he and Vettel.

Very entertaining race. Now if only the cars looked and sounded as good as the GP2 cars....

Quick Reply: 2016 Spanish Grand Prix