Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

2016 Grand Prix du Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 10:02 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Vettel had the pace of the Mercs today and could have won, but Ferrari pitted him too early and after the race Arrivabene admitted they make an error in pit strategy.

Nico had a lot of problems. He asked his pit for info because code lights were going off on his streering wheel. He also got out of the draft several times, I think he was trying to cool off his brakes in clean air. Finally, reports after the race revealed Nico was saving fuel at the end.

Nice defending by Max. Youth has no fear and gives no ****s. Don't know why Ricciardo didn't show better.

Drive of the day to Carlos Sainz Jr. in the Toro Rosso as he drove from 20th to 9th with no crashes on track or safety car (virtual safety car just freezes field, doesn't bunch them up).

Nico will never win a WDC if you are not willing to bang wheels when a teammate is squeezing you and not giving you racing room. If Nico takes both out, he's still up for 24 points. Now it's only 9 pt difference. It's over
I was at the race with my 19 yr old son, and when Ferrari pitted Vettel AND Raikonnen with the virtual safety car out, I thought they made the smartest strategy call in a long time as the time in pits doesn't change, but the speed on track was significantly reduced due to that VSC.

Where the f'ed up was they didn't go with the soft compound (hardest there), and try to run to preserve to the end. Going with something softer ensured that they needed to pit for a change again. Going hardest like Hamilton they could run until they needed to change - and he didn't need to.

Ferrari takes the soft and they win the race...or at least force the Mercedes team into a different strategy.

In my mind, this is again a first class example of teams being scared to make any kind of bold call to win (except for Force India who seemingly do all the time). Ferrari took the "safe" strategy. Mercedes also took a safe strategy because they had an out and could always pit again if needed, but gave them the flexibility to go the distance.

Game over.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:14 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a good race. What I expect from Canada. However, I did not get the race. It was listed as a delayed rebroadcast but they showed golf and wrestling instead. I can"t even find a replay listed. Anyone know where I can watch it online?

I wonder if Ric's head is too fried to be productive at RB any more. He earned the win at Monaco, but did not cross the line first. The other 2 races he lost straight-up to Vers.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:22 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Sounds like a good race. What I expect from Canada. However, I did not get the race. It was listed as a delayed rebroadcast but they showed golf and wrestling instead. I can"t even find a replay listed. Anyone know where I can watch it online?
Due to me not paying extra $$$ for my local Cable TV package and not getting TSN5 here in Canuskistan + NBC preempting their F1 race coverage, I had to watch the race via a live stream. Nothing wrong with the video, but the audio of this stream turned out to be a infomercial, so I had to watch most of the race with the audio muted. Kind of an awful way to watch an entertaining race. But what can you do. As far as your request paradisenb, the race should be available for download here http://www.tremek.com/forum/f1-video...l-races-2.html sometime today. Normally the races are already available by now. But I suspect the fellow who uploads the races is in Europe and the race would have ended around 9pm (or later) for most Europeans. So the upload might be delayed until later today. But it should show up.

To the race ... a cracker of a start by Vettel but you have to think Ferrari blew their chance for the win with their strategy. Of course that's easy to say. Perhaps the Vettel was consuming his tires faster than the Hamilton was (once again I watched the race with no audio). Hamilton was the only one out of the top drivers who one stopped. Everyone else two stopped.

Now Hamilton running into Rosberg at the first turn of the race was borderline nastiness. But it is racing and these things happen. Of course they usually don't happen to teammates. What's that thing the teams always tell their drivers? Don't take your teammate out? I guess that does not apply to Lewis. Just as Vettel was not on Mark Webber's Christmas card list, I doubt Lewis is on Nico's as well. LOL

Great defending moves by Verstappen late in the race when Rosberg was trying to pass. We knew Verstappen had the talent to pass from his days at Toro Rosso. But now we know he also has the talent to defend. I still think he is a spoil brat sometimes, but that should change as he matures and he is one heck of a talented racer. Finally quite the dramatic last lap antics from Rosberg. Good to see him hungry for points, but that was a rather optimistic move he tried to pull passing on the outside of Max going into the Wall of Champions. Two points could win him the championship at the end of the year, but he also came close to throwing away 10.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:27 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I wonder if Ric's head is too fried to be productive at RB any more. He earned the win at Monaco, but did not cross the line first. The other 2 races he lost straight-up to Vers.
I wouldn't bother. Canada is usually one of the more exciting races of the calendar but this was a borefest
Old 06-13-2016, 12:27 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My993C2
Due to me not paying extra $$$ for my local Cable TV package and not getting TSN5 here in Canuskistan + NBC preempting their F1 race coverage, I had to watch the race via a live stream. Nothing wrong with the video, but the audio of this stream turned out to be a infomercial, so I had to watch most of the race with the audio muted. Kind of an awful way to watch an entertaining race. But what can you do. As far as your request paradisenb, the race should be available for download here http://www.tremek.com/forum/f1-video...l-races-2.html sometime today. Normally the races are already available by now. But I suspect the fellow who uploads the races is in Europe and the race would have ended around 9pm (or later) for most Europeans. So the upload might be delayed until later today. But it should show up.

To the race ... a cracker of a start by Vettel but you have to think Ferrari blew their chance for the win with their strategy. Of course that's easy to say. Perhaps the Vettel was consuming his tires faster than the Hamilton was (once again I watched the race with no audio). Hamilton was the only one out of the top drivers who one stopped. Everyone else two stopped.

Now Hamilton running into Rosberg at the first turn of the race was borderline nastiness. But it is racing and these things happen. Of course they usually don't happen to teammates. What's that thing the teams always tell their drivers? Don't take your teammate out? I guess that does not apply to Lewis. Just as Vettel was not on Mark Webber's Christmas card list, I doubt Lewis is on Nico's as well. LOL

Great defending moves by Verstappen late in the race when Rosberg was trying to pass. We knew Verstappen had the talent to pass from his days at Toro Rosso. But now we know he also has the talent to defend. I still think he is a spoil brat sometimes, but that should change as he matures and he is one heck of a talented racer. Finally quite the dramatic last lap antics from Rosberg. Good to see him hungry for points, but that was a rather optimistic move he tried to pull passing on the outside of Max going into the Wall of Champions. Two points could win him the championship at the end of the year, but he also came close to throwing away 10.
Thanks for the link. I had planned my day so the afternoon was free only to find no race. OK, I will watch it at night. GOLF! Are you kidding me. Curling is more exciting.

Originally Posted by CFGT3
I wouldn't bother. Canada is usually one of the more exciting races of the calendar but this was a bore-fest
Me thinks you are kidding considering first lap drama and late race defense and failed overtaking attempts.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:54 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Thanks for the link. I had planned my day so the afternoon was free only to find no race. OK, I will watch it at night. GOLF! Are you kidding me. Curling is more exciting.

Me thinks you are kidding considering first lap drama and late race defense and failed overtaking attempts.
^^ No I'm not kidding. Wish I was. Vettel had a great start, Lewis and Nico were side by side for 3 seconds and Nico made a couple attempts at Verstappen late in the race. All in all, about 30 seconds of drama in a 1 1/2 hour race. I was bored out of my mind and wishing for rain to spice things up.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:14 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Max is a great talent but I disagree about him beating Ric straight up in his first race with RBR. They brought Ric in as they were racing Vettel. They left Max out to fight Kimi. This was the better strategy. Don't forget DanRic had two punctures this season when in good positions which has also killed him.

Quick Reply: 2016 Grand Prix du Canada