Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your first time on slicks, what did you learn?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:45 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Your first time on slicks, what did you learn?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I went back as far as '09 and didn't see anything so I thought I'd start a new thread. Anyways, I'm scheduled for a lesson with my pro-coach for November 4th. It'll be my first time on Hoosier R7s in a 944/SP2 car. I realize these are DOT tires and not true slicks, but I gather they are pretty darn close to slicks in performance hence the question.

What were your biggest lessons that you remember from your first time on slicks? What advice would you offer?

Obviously I will not be alone, and I will listen to everything my coach says, but I'm just curious what others remember from their first time.

Thanks as always!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Darn, Joe! I saw the thread title and thought "now, we're talking," in the belief that you were going to Pirelli DH's or REAL slicks, but instead, I find out it's R-Comps (which is the correct reference for what the R7's are). This is important because while some classes allow slicks (real, honest-to-God, not-for-highway-use-whatsoever), most allow R-Comps, or DOT graded tires that are designed solely for track use. If you said to someone that you ran "slicks" and they saw R7's/RR's/R1's on your car, they would be confused. So let's use the right terminology. These are "R-Compound" tires, not "slicks."

Same advice, though...

1) Buy NEW tires. Do NOT form opinions or tune the car on ANY tire, even scrubs, if you have ANY question about their age. Even BRAND NEW tires, if they are not from recent production, and especially if they'are not stored correctly, begin to degrade almost immediately, and you don't even need to run them for this to happen. Buy the freshest, most recent batch you can.

2) Get them nice and toasty before you lean on them (it was 29 degrees at the Skippy school at LRP a few days ago).

3) Best way to warm them up is to accelerate briskly in a lower gear and brake decisively fore and aft all the way around the out lap, maybe a lap and a half. Besides getting the brakes and you ready, the belts moving within the tire carcass generate heat from the inside out and distribute that heat throughout the tread surface more equally. Brings pressures up more quickly, too.

4) Have fun. The car will be much more competent with these than what you're used to. Incremental improvement is the watchword!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,425 Likes on 763 Posts

I echo what Peter says. And really pay attention to how much more communicative the car will be
Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

yea don't go telling around people you run slicks

what tire are you "upgrading" from?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

R7 warm up slowly as peter said, but take care to do it progressively....if you lock up they do not take kindly..

Figure out your target pressure....start a little high in the morning and bleed the pressures down....use the same gauge all the time

Other thing I learned is a new way to describe the cost of something.......man that's a set of hoosiers....or I don't need thay cause thats a rear hoosier.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:40 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Darn, Joe! I saw the thread title and thought "now, we're talking,"

. . .

Same advice, though...
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I echo what Peter says. And really pay attention to how much more communicative the car will be
I promise not to mix the word slick with discussions of R7s any more but I gotta say - you two need to get out more. That was a quick reply

But, thank you as always for the sage advice!

I will be with Simon, and he already specifically mentioned that we were going to work on learning to "get heat in the tires" aside from just learning the new limits. Also, I read several older threads in which you guys discussed the importance of running on new tires so I think I have already learned that lesson. In fact one major reason I chose SP2 to start was so I could afford all the best every time I track or race the car. Meaning new tires, new brakes, and in general the best of everything allowed always.

So is the jump from R-comp to true slick worse than the jump from street to R-comp?

Originally Posted by NYC993
yea don't go telling around people you run slicks

what tire are you "upgrading" from?

I have only ever driven on street tires. Mostly I have run Yoko NEOVA Advans, but I have also driven MPSC 2s, Potenza's, and Skippy's BF Goodrich.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:53 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Same advice, though...

1) Buy NEW tires. Do NOT form opinions or tune the car on ANY tire, even scrubs, if you have ANY question about their age. Even BRAND NEW tires, if they are not from recent production, and especially if they'are not stored correctly, begin to degrade almost immediately, and you don't even need to run them for this to happen. Buy the freshest, most recent batch you can.

2) Get them nice and toasty before you lean on them (it was 29 degrees at the Skippy school at LRP a few days ago).

3) Best way to warm them up is to accelerate briskly in a lower gear and brake decisively fore and aft all the way around the out lap, maybe a lap and a half. Besides getting the brakes and you ready, the belts moving within the tire carcass generate heat from the inside out and distribute that heat throughout the tread surface more equally. Brings pressures up more quickly, too.

4) Have fun. The car will be much more competent with these than what you're used to. Incremental improvement is the watchword!
This!

Also: Be mindful of ambient temperatures. I don't run R7s at less than 40 deg F ambient temps and NEVER let them freeze. Plus, you will only be faster if you actually use the additional grip these tires provide for braking and cornering. R7s are useless in standing water - you will need rain tires too.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:53 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JP66
I gotta say - you two need to get out more. That was a quick reply.

So is the jump from R-comp to true slick worse than the jump from street to R-comp?

I have only ever driven on street tires.
Hahaha! Have a day or two off before heading to Daytona, then Hutchinson, then COTA, then back to Daytona, then VIR.

Nah, need to stay home, more...

No, not worse. Similar. Its all about building a new "belief system." What Frank said...

Plenty of people drive the same or slightly quicker speed going to R-Comps and to slicks, they just need to learn the "new" limits in a gradual, incremental way.

You're going to love 'em!
Old 10-18-2016, 10:04 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Higher grip, higher g-forces = faster breakaway. Also less communication when breaking loose than street tires. Outside of that, enjoy the grip!

I usually call them semi slicks or DOT slicks. Calling them r-compounds confuses too many people with MPSC, Trofeo, NT-01 etc. They are more than those but less than full slicks.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,425 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Higher grip, higher g-forces = faster breakaway. Also less communication when breaking loose than street tires. Outside of that, enjoy the grip! I usually call them semi slicks or DOT slicks. Calling them r-compounds confuses too many people with MPSC, Trofeo, NT-01 etc. They are more than those but less than full slicks.
+1
Old 10-18-2016, 10:07 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

R7 is a remarkably competent R-comp but as Evan mentioned you can flat spot one faster than... WHOOPS! Too late! Likely less of an issue in an SP2 car compared to a heavier higher HP machine.

Get heat in them and bleed them down. The slip angle sweet spot is real nice and consistent and they won't talk much sound compared to your streets.

The R7 sidewall must be stiffer than the old R6 which required car setup adjustments but once dialed in, the R7 is a fine R-comp IMHO.

Watch your fenders, too. The R7 squared shoulders tend to run wide so rubbing and cutting a brand new tire are real potential issues.

Have fun!
Old 10-18-2016, 12:26 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
R7 warm up slowly as peter said, but take care to do it progressively....if you lock up they do not take kindly..
If you think Hoo's warm up slowly, you should try a real slick.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:49 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,336 Likes on 1,605 Posts

I learned that I can blow money quicker on Hoosiers than I can at the craps table!

In truth, the one thing that I learned, especially being in the northeast, is how important it is to warm up the tires on a cold day - and even on a warm day as well. If you go out like a rocketship on your first lap on a summer day you will screw up your tires!
Old 10-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Higher grip, higher g-forces = faster breakaway. Also less communication when breaking loose than street tires. Outside of that, enjoy the grip!

I usually call them semi slicks or DOT slicks. Calling them r-compounds confuses too many people with MPSC, Trofeo, NT-01 etc. They are more than those but less than full slicks.
I've actually found the opposite to be true having gone back and forth between NT01s and PSS a few time recently. Once the PSS start squealing, that's all you are going to get out of them before they completely give way and both feet go in. NT01s seem to start slipping at somewhere near the same point, maybe a little faster, but you can really lean in to them as they have a whole more grip to give before they are going to give way. Just my experience though and I do believe that car setup has an impact on this.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slakker
I've actually found the opposite to be true having gone back and forth between NT01s and PSS a few time recently. Once the PSS start squealing, that's all you are going to get out of them before they completely give way and both feet go in. NT01s seem to start slipping at somewhere near the same point, maybe a little faster, but you can really lean in to them as they have a whole more grip to give before they are going to give way. Just my experience though and I do believe that car setup has an impact on this.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: Your first time on slicks, what did you learn?