F1 Finale

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 01:45 PM
SIC 58
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default F1 Finale

Congrats to Nico!
Plus Hamilton did not disappoint with demonstrating his total lack of character.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:13 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats to Rosberg. I am happy to see him win this year.

Now here's hoping 2017 brings in a new era of more competitive racing between more than just two drivers on the grid. Rumor has it that Red Bull will be good and with two talented and hungry drivers, they could just challenge the Mercs. Plus can Ferrari also challenge and can McLaren ever crawl back up near the front where they once won races? Only time will tell. Probably getting ahead of myself with wondering if McLaren can find their way back to the front. They seem to be taking a similar path that Williams (another former dominate team) has taken in the sport.

I am not anti-Mercedes. I am just tired of seeing one team dominate the way they have these last three years. Yes Red Bull also dominated the sport between 2010 and 2013. But not as much as the Mercs dominated these last few years.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:14 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by SIC 58
Congrats to Nico!
Plus Hamilton did not disappoint with demonstrating his total lack of character.
Congrats to Nico - he deserved it!

I have mixed feelings about Hamilton's actions. You have to be a bit selfish to become a WC and his actions were the only strategy available to him which might yield the championship for him. He did nothing illegal except maybe to ignore team orders.

If Hammy and Nico were not team mates would it have been a problem? I don't think so.

Let the Hammy Fan-boy conspiracy theorists commence their bitching!
Old 11-27-2016, 02:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Congrats to Nico!
+1,000,000
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-27-2016, 02:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Congrats to Nico - he deserved it!

I have mixed feelings about Hamilton's actions. You have to be a bit selfish to become a WC and his actions were the only strategy available to him which might yield the championship for him. He did nothing illegal except maybe to ignore team orders.

If Hammy and Nico were not team mates would it have been a problem? I don't think so.

Let the Hammy Fan-boy conspiracy theorists commence their bitching!
Agreed, 100%

Nearly every driver at the upper levels of racing (and more than a few in our ranks) can get distracted from doing their best and turn their focus towards screwing the other guy. Nice to see that in this case, justice was served.

I am not a Rosberg fanboi or a Hami-hater, but I see racing ethics lapses as either isolated, individual actions that the driver feels bad later for, or systemic/endemic to the driver's character and decision making process...

I'll just leave it at that...
Old 11-27-2016, 02:51 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah congrats to Nico! He deserved it. It was nice to see him not relent to the pressure from Max and Seb. I'm glad he didn't race with the mentality that he just had to finish third. He might have lost it if he took that approach.

Did you see the post race interview with him? He said that was just indescribable pressure at the end of the race. One mistake and it would have been lost. He hated it! But that should make it sweeter than just cruising to the championship.

Vettel had a great race. I would have loved to see him get the victory. His tires were gone by the end and couldn't challenge. I'm sure Hamster would have turned it up if Vettel got by Nico. Good way to finish the season though.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,897 Likes on 2,235 Posts

Congrats to Nico!
Agreed.

I'm not a huge Rosberg fan, but he needed to get a WC under his belt and I'm happy for him.

Hamilton's attempting to win WC by deliberately and transparently undermining his own teammate, against team orders, looked desperate and very unsportsmanlike.

At least Massa and Button showed class ...
Old 11-27-2016, 03:44 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 162 Posts

I disagree. If HAM is backing ROS up, get in DRS range and pass him. If you're going to be content to sit in second place then you don't get to complain about the leader's pace. Last I heard the rules allowed ROS to pass HAM any time he was able. Why is HAM obligated to help ROS win the title? ROS isn't obligated to slide down to fourth so HAM can win.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Not a consideration of the efficacy of the pass, rather manipulation of the race by Hami is the crux.

It was clear from before the weekend that this retrograde strategy of Hami's was to deny the podium position, at all costs, to Rosberg, that's all.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:01 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 162 Posts

I get that, but the defense to the pace being manipulated is to either out qualify him, out start him, or out race him.

Having done none of those, well....
Old 11-27-2016, 04:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I disagree. If HAM is backing ROS up, get in DRS range and pass him. If you're going to be content to sit in second place then you don't get to complain about the leader's pace. Last I heard the rules allowed ROS to pass HAM any time he was able. Why is HAM obligated to help ROS win the title? ROS isn't obligated to slide down to fourth so HAM can win.
Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not a consideration of the efficacy of the pass, rather manipulation of the race by Hami is the crux.

It was clear from before the weekend that this retrograde strategy of Hami's was to deny the podium position, at all costs, to Rosberg, that's all.
If you pull a Senna and smack into someone to decide the WC that is just wrong and unsportsmanlike.

That being said, the more I think about it, the more I realize I really don't have a problem with what Hamilton did. He managed his race the best way possible to see if he could get the WC.

It did have a slightly douchey feel to it because if he pulled it off it wasn't so much a win by merit but rather a win through manipulation. Its a fine line.

Would Rosberg have done what Hammy did? No. And perhaps that it why he was denied the WC the past two years. Think about it.

In the end karma won the day and the right guy, in my opinion, became WC.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

At the top, it's always a finer balance...
Old 11-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 922 Posts

Congrats to Nico for a well deserved title.

Looking forward to the 2017 cars - just hope they figure out a way to let them run and not spend the race conserving everything.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yep, it's crazy. They tell Hami that his target time is 1:45.3 and the next lap he goes... 1:45.3

Let them RACE, haul ***, be on the ragged edge. THAT'S racing...
Old 11-27-2016, 06:12 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe

Vettel had a great race. I would have loved to see him get the victory. His tires were gone by the end and couldn't challenge. I'm sure Hamster would have turned it up if Vettel got by Nico. Good way to finish the season though.
I think 4X champ Vettel was the class act today. He could have challenged NR but did not. NR knew 3rd would win the title and Vettel could have taken 2nd. Vettel made a 80% attempt and NR wanted that position and Vettel let him keep it. I think Vettel wanted it to be NR's time and did not want to risk being the bozo who had nothing to gain and take NR out. Hammy wanted to force NR to race him. NR clearly hasn't wanted to race the last 4 races. NR wanted to survive like a boxer ahead on points. Vettel took verstapen out of the picture provided a buffer of maturity and solidified NR's win. NR owes Vettel a beer tonight.

Quick Reply: F1 Finale