Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Jeez, lighten up Francis.

Hehehe.
Might have to jump on the Francis bandwagon. Nico road the MB into a WDC and then told them to pound sand after most, if not all, of the desirable replacements were under contract for 2017. Exceptionally selfish. Use whatever justification you want but the man signed a contract and would have held MB to it even if he had a ****ty 2016 wanted another shot in 2017. Be honorable and stand behind your word. If not, I hope MB has a claw back should they have to purchase someone's contract.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:14 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Of course the following is simply IMHO.

F1 "is a lot like soccer...you need a lot of speed and *****!" In comparison to Lewis, Nico lacks both. Extraordinary circumstances and series of events for Nico to beat Hammy, just. Hamilton wins 9-10 times and Nico knows this was his one.

He won, he's F1 World Driving Champion but most of us alive to witness this will always view him and this action as cowardly. Lauda alludes to it but can state it so blatantly.

As for his seat, you want fireworks? Max. You want the best pairing to give you the best shot at winning? Seb or Alonso. You want longterm move? Werhlein (or however the **** you spell his name). You want safe? Bottas or Hulk are Robin to Lewis' Batman.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

I am thinking Hammer Time will want a Robin. Someone to play the Rubens and Irvine role like Schumacher had.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:40 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,769 Posts

LOL Do you guys really think Nico left MB in a lurch? Mercedes doesn't care about Rosberg or Hamilton. They need Mercedes more than Mercedes needs them. MB knows that they have, arguably, the best car to ever be on an F1 track and can put Sato and Maldonado in the car and still win the Constructors title.

They have every driver calling them to tell Mercedes they are available for the seat and even Christian Horner saying that Ricciardo is not available, so don't even think about it! (interesting that he didn't say Max was not available)

MB has the absolutely luxury of picking a driver pairing that pushes Hamilton to the limit or is Hamilton's CLEAR #2. They ONLY care about the WCC and was evident in the comments Lauda made.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,962 Likes on 2,264 Posts

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38185582

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38208224
Old 12-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Agreed. The Constructor's Title is more important to the teams. That's why I can see MB giving Hamilton his Robin and looking for 1-2 finishes every race.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

^^^^Both good columns
Old 12-05-2016, 06:44 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Jeez, lighten up Francis.

Hehehe.
I think I said it polite enough and didn't accuse him of kidnapping the Lindburgh baby.

That being said, while I have tons of respect for him, and acknowledge that it must be difficult to step back, he goes down a peg in my book.

The comparison, a little earlier in this thread, beyween Lauda coming back after his accident, and Nico wanting to spend more time with his family, means he is cut from a different cloth.

Lastly, for what its worth, I rooted for him and think he is a worthy WDC.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:50 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 333 Posts

I don't see why Nico should show "loyalty" to MB. They wouldn't show the same to him. They'll have no problem filling his seat with another talented driver and continue on as usual.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Fantastic insight from McNish!!! He really explains Nico from karting to F1 title winner and how he is simply wired differently and winning the F1 title was a goal, not a passion. In all practicality, Nico only had 2-3 quality years left anyway, but his life with his family has already begun. Who knows if he made enough money to live comfortably the rest of his life, but I'm sure he's going to make more in another capacity with Mercedes as eluded to by McNish.

Something that hit a nerve with me is his explanation of all the things that a dedicated race driver/athlete has to give up to be where they are at -- something my own daughter has had to do to play at a D1 college level (can't imagine it on a world class level). Unlike us rank and file people, if we don't want to go work out in the morning, then we don't. They don't have that luxury. They also can't be at all the important events of their personal life like birthdays, anniversaries, even births of their children because their jobs demand so much. It's not an easy life for a family man that Nico certainly appears to be.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,962 Likes on 2,264 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Something that hit a nerve with me is his explanation of all the things that a dedicated race driver/athlete has to give up to be where they are at -- something my own daughter has had to do to play at a D1 college level (can't imagine it on a world class level). Unlike us rank and file people, if we don't want to go work out in the morning, then we don't. They don't have that luxury. They also can't be at all the important events of their personal life like birthdays, anniversaries, even births of their children because their jobs demand so much. It's not an easy life for a family man that Nico certainly appears to be.
In a world with billions of people, I can't really think of anyone who's reached the extremely elite level of world-class status, in any field - sports, arts, science, business, etc. - without a single-minded focus bordering on obsession and lasting many years and involving many sacrifices (of course combined with the good luck of having genetically-endowed potential).
Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm very surprised by Nico's retirement announcement and I hope he doesn't live to regret the decision. I actually respect him for making that tough decision as I doubt it was easy and I think the decision took some real *****. I'm not a big Nico fan but I think anyone questioning his competitive drive must not have watched much F1 coverage...the guy is a tough competitor.

The MB is currently the best car in the field, bar none. However, I wonder how good the revamped car will perform against the competition next year(I hope not too well because this MB dominance is getting really old IMHO). All of these drivers that are begging for the open seat at MB may regret that decision if MB cannot hold its huge edge with the redesigned car. I can't help but think of Hamilton's move from McLaren to MB - everyone thought he was crazy because the MB was a bit of a dog back then. I wonder if we are witnessing the opposite scenario at play here...
Old 12-05-2016, 07:13 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm pretty sure there are only a few pro athletes on this board and as someone who has competed on that type of stage for over 15 years I can tell you that it's not:

1) glamour 24/7 despite the money
2) easy on family despite the money to spend traveling
3) fulfilling when you realize that people like bernie are making all the money and robbing local governments (BAKU???)

some of you guys are offended that he is retiring before having a near death experience or something- but look at Jules Bianchi, or when Massa took the spring to the head a few years back...it's a matter of time before S*** happens and your face makes contact with something carbon, metal, or concrete.

He's got some cash in the bank and probably wants to raise his family somewhere besides Monaco (which is basically like living in a Vampire Movie, it's not real)

point being- sure a lot of us would switch our life roles in a heart beat- who doesn't want to race F1? but, after a month of that reality most of us would be either hospitalized from crashing the car or fired for being super slow. that's reality. he's been racing his whole life and now he wants to chill. maybe he's sick of lewis as a teammate. who knows.
Thanks again for your perspective.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:19 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I think I said it polite enough and didn't accuse him of kidnapping the Lindburgh baby.

That being said, while I have tons of respect for him, and acknowledge that it must be difficult to step back, he goes down a peg in my book.

The comparison, a little earlier in this thread, beyween Lauda coming back after his accident, and Nico wanting to spend more time with his family, means he is cut from a different cloth.

Lastly, for what its worth, I rooted for him and think he is a worthy WDC.
Dude has a 280SL. That makes him alright in my book. Francis.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:26 PM
911dr
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel Jo_ker above is spot on. Nico is a racing driver, not a "racer". In addition, if Lewis didn't have I believe it was four mechanical issues (Nico none) he would be first loser.

It's probably just down to bad luck but four to none, same team, same resources, same equipment....makes you go hmmmm...

Quick Reply: OT: Nico Rosberg quits