Sponsored by:

Leh Keen Qualifying at VIR, 2014 TUDOR Championship AJRvWeatherTech GTD Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
What I always find interesting about this video is the lack of drama. The only time he gets out of shape is the last pass on the green car at T1 (7:10). Shows how much we all leave on the table.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:47 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

and difference in momentum in corners make it look like the others forget to hit the gas at corner exit....
Old 01-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
I've watched that one many times. Crazy how he picked his way through the field. Imagine what we would see if you could connect a Go Pro to the brains of drivers of his caliber and see what they see at speed.
I'm sure this has been posted before but this I've found interesting to see how quickly they look and what they look at.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was also interesting to see his car easily swallowed the curbing in 5-5a-6 without abruptly jumping around. Amazing given he probably has 1100 lbs spring up front.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:36 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rceron
It was also interesting to see his car easily swallowed the curbing in 5-5a-6 without abruptly jumping around. Amazing given he probably has 1100 lbs spring up front.
I doubt it, when I raced with TRG their cars were AMAZINGLY soft. They do that so the tires will work better towards the end of the stints I believe.

What I learned from this VIR video was where to go slow to go fast, he's really got it down in 2 places I was pushing too hard and losing time- between T4 and 5, and before the last turn. Exit speed is crucial in both places.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:27 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Well my best time from the 2016 PCA race was a low 53 and watching this makes me feel like I'm standing still. I'm just not able to hold my foot to the floor as long as he can thru the upper Esses. Also his speed into and thru hogpen is staggering.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:28 AM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Well my best time from the 2016 PCA race was a low 53 and watching this makes me feel like I'm standing still. I'm just not able to hold my foot to the floor as long as he can thru the upper Esses. Also his speed into and thru hogpen is staggering.
Indeed! And yet... I imagine you're at light speeds comp to us Miatadores who "enjoy" a 1.6 l stock w a whopping 135 hp. :-)
OTOH... People like me end up flat spotting our cheap tires when following the inexperienced Cayman R PDKs (and we like to crow about that.) Perhaps I'll reallocate my pcar back to track or find a cheap *****/hairdresser car so I can keep up w you and the big B crew. 8)
Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,883 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
What I learned from this VIR video was where to go slow to go fast, he's really got it down in 2 places I was pushing too hard and losing time- between T4 and 5, and before the last turn. Exit speed is crucial in both places.
Bingo! The first sentence of an eight-page overview on VIR and the main point of Ross Bentley and my VIR webinar, "in order to go fast at VIR, you need to know where to go slow..."

This comes from examining hundreds of pros and talented ams over the last sixteen years at VIR (and other places) and identifying what common threads emerge. This IS one of those common executions that allows drivers to break through and gain substantive, permanent time gains.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Then break your performance, timing and control input amplitude down into smaller pieces and improve the quality of each input and timing. Take a look at incrementally faster laps, between yours and Leh's, like Cory's, and isolate WHAT are the speed and control differentials.

Someone noted that Leh was "ahead of the car." That is a key concept that makes him appear to be an alien, when in fact he has it mapped out very, VERY well. He knows, before he gets there, how much the car is going to "give up" and takes that into account.

Again, it's not how fast you go, it's about "slowing less..."
Old 01-05-2017, 11:21 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Someone noted that Leh was "ahead of the car." That is a key concept that makes him appear to be an alien, when in fact he has it mapped out very, VERY well. He knows, before he gets there, how much the car is going to "give up" and takes that into account.
its seems he is watching in full color and 3D picture with amazing stereo sound while I watch a pixelated snow black and white tube screen with a crackling radio for audio that is a second late
Old 01-05-2017, 11:47 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
What I always find interesting about this video is the lack of drama. The only time he gets out of shape is the last pass on the green car at T1 (7:10). Shows how much we all leave on the table.
ewwww, nice grind the synchros at :20...... oh boy!!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

MarcD147, not only for you! For most...
Old 01-05-2017, 11:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mark kibort
ewwww, nice grind the synchros at :20...... oh boy!!
Sheesh, Mark... is that all you've got?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:36 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Sheesh, Mark... is that all you've got?
No, i have more... loved the lap and sounds.... reminded me of the Lemans racing of yesteryear. But that grind was a good one.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark. He was on old tires as well.

Quick Reply: Leh Keen Qualifying at VIR, 2014 TUDOR Championship AJRvWeatherTech GTD Porsche