Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Lift: lots of brands, features, and styles - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:31 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Car Lift: lots of brands, features, and styles - which one?

I am building new garage and want to put in lift. I would like the lift to accommodate working on F150, SUV, sedan, and very low race car. But, I would like to store race car onit which leaves me with several questions.

1. Brand preferences?
2. 2 post or 4 post - is it myth or fact that storing vehicle on 2 post actually causes damage to suspension? Seems like benefits not flat spotting tires and unloading suspension would be advantageous.
3. Given the vehicles I want to use for, any suggested ceiling or raised door height?
4. If going with 4 post, would definitely want the jack stands to get wheels off rack when servicing.
5. If going 2 post, lots of confusing options - symmetric, asymmetric, etc
6. For my Cayman race car, only has about 3" clearance. Seems like problematic for driving up 4 post ramp, but also problematic for arms of 2 post fitting underneath.
7. Hydraulic, screw, or other style lift mechanism - what is most reliable?

Any words of advise? I don't have to order lift yet, but I do need to design garage accordingly. Thanks
Old 01-19-2017, 12:02 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Mohawk
Rotary

How much you choose to spend is directly proportional to how much you value your life when standing under a lift.

Do a search, there are lots of threads here on this subject and you will find answers to your questions discussed in detail.

Also some online garage forums that will also have info.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:08 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 145 Posts

I am ordering a 8,000 or 9,000lb Rotary Revolution in the next couple of days. I like it because its well made ,110 motor and doesn't need to have air hooked up to it
Old 01-19-2017, 06:39 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Lots of existing threads. As far as ceiling height goes, if you're planning on working under the cars, especially the pick-up, you're going to need a lot of room. As a reference, i have 10' ceilings, and i can barely store 2 low cars. A pickup would not fit bob for storage. I can work underneath the top car for the occasional job, even a transmission swap, but it's far from comfortable, and i wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis. Certainly can't stand straight up underneath. So I would say at least 15-18', maybe more.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:43 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Purchased a "Quality Brand" 4 post lift, with jackstands, drip pans, casters, etc., VERY reasonably priced, mine is the 9000 lb lift and X-tra tall so I can get my truck underneath it ( I have a 15' ceiling), and the install and pix will be posted shortly, as the drywall, painting and floor sealing are almost done). This unit does not require a compressor...you can get it 110 volt or 220 volt. With a 4 post, it is easier to drive on and not worry about lining up adjusting the arms and zero chance of having the car fall off (keeps the wife happy).........GL
Old 01-19-2017, 09:29 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 4 post, mostly for storage, but can work under the car if needed.
Ceilings are just under 10 feet....

Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteL
I bought a 4 post, mostly for storage, but can work under the car if needed.
Ceilings are just under 10 feet....

That's similar to mine. Yes, you "can" work under the car, certainly better than jack stands, but not ideal, and certainly not if you're working on a pickup. That's why i said 15' minimum ceiling if you have the option.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:54 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Lots of existing threads. As far as ceiling height goes, if you're planning on working under the cars, especially the pick-up, you're going to need a lot of room. As a reference, i have 10' ceilings, and i can barely store 2 low cars. A pickup would not fit bob for storage. I can work underneath the top car for the occasional job, even a transmission swap, but it's far from comfortable, and i wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis. Certainly can't stand straight up underneath. So I would say at least 15-18', maybe more.
Yes but you are taller then your average grease monkey. Cars you would have to crouch to get under, I wouldn't be able to reach.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

2 post has the best access for doing brake and suspension work. I wouldn't consider a 4 post unless the primary purpose was storage and simple stuff like oil changes. With low cars I just drive onto blocks of wood so the lift arms have clearance. A shop I know had custom arms fabricated for really low cars.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:43 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I was in the same situation, 2 or 4 post. IMO the 4 post are just too big, You need additional Air to jack the car to get the wheels off the lift, so you are lifting 2x. If you are doing any sort of engine pulling, for the most part all factories pretty much put the engines in from underneath.. See Pic. With a 4 post it is a B*^&h! With a 2 post you can use a rolling welding table make a cart and whatever.. The cost of a 4 post seems to be about 30% more, you also have menagerie of cables running under the ramps, The also require allot of cleaning due to the fact that when they get used debris from the car gets into the tracks where the sliding lifters go. However they are WAY safer. Take a look at Gregsmithequipment.com. My ceiling height in my shop is 12ft, once I put the Tin up it was more like 11' 9". I purchased the Atlas 9000LB Asemetric lift. It is adjustable so it fit in my shop. ( has the overhead bar) like $2200 Delivered. Requires at leas 4" of concrete. The only complaints I have. I can put my 4 door lifted Duramax on it with no problem but I max the height out about neck level. Its hard to put a car that is wide on it, what I mean by that is if the lifting points are way out by the rockers, IE BMW 330, I absolutely has to be center, But once you get it, a tape line on the floor helps. I had a Audi RS 7 on it but just barely got the pads at the jacking points. As far as storage? Well I built a rack, (see profile pic) I lift the car up, set it on and put skates under it and move it to where I want. When I don't need the rack I toss it in the woods, and I made it out of stainless steel so I don't have to worry about rust.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:20 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

I have limited headroom - 108", so ended up with MAXJAX - works well enough, but not the same as a full on lift like Rotary, etc...

Ray
Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

You might want to check out http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...259463&page=41
Old 01-19-2017, 11:49 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a 4 post Bend Pak in a garage with 119 inch ceiling height. Very easy to access underside of most cars, not sure about full size pickup. 2 post is certainly superior for everyday working lift, post post is best for storage.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Any comments to suspension damage or advantage comparing storage using 2 post versus 4 post?
Old 01-22-2017, 12:51 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
I have limited headroom - 108", so ended up with MAXJAX - works well enough, but not the same as a full on lift like Rotary, etc...

Ray
+1 MaxJax with a 96" ceiling height. I absolutely love it.

Quick Reply: Car Lift: lots of brands, features, and styles - which one?