Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta PCA race

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:42 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
LOL, you need a new engine, my contact info is up above....

Stock air box and factory exhaust header.

T
Don't think the boss lady will go for that as it is an almost new engine with stock airbox but does have "custom" headers.....maybe need to go back to the old Porsche exhaust manifold that's sitting in the garage as a door stop!
Old 04-06-2017, 03:40 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
Don't think the boss lady will go for that as it is an almost new engine with stock airbox but does have "custom" headers.....maybe need to go back to the old Porsche exhaust manifold that's sitting in the garage as a door stop!
Have you tried experimenting with different settings with the factory fuel enrichment adjuster...? If the header is of a good design, you may need +x% fuel to compensate for better exhaust flow.

Controversial, but personally, the 4 into 2 into 1 design of the factory header is better than the 4 into 1 as most aftermarket versions are.

Now, if I was building a 16V S or S2, I might go for the 4 into 1 because the head/cam configuration moves the power band up in the rpms where the 4-1 might have a slight advantage but even still, most all back to back tests should show that moving away from a 4-2-1 header of proper design will show a loss of midrange torque and horsepower for the reward of a couple of "top end" horsepower gain. Your engine needs 4-7000 rpms in the real world, not just the highest HP reading at 7200. We aint racing on the dyno.

Port matching your exhaust and intake is legal and can help with a couple of lost HP as well as paying close attention to whether the header ports even line up 100% with the exhaust ports. You can guarantee alignment by machining (within the legal depth) the cylinder head and the exhaust manifold for an alignment sleeve that will not affect the inside diameter of either once installed.

T
Old 04-06-2017, 05:28 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Have you tried experimenting with different settings with the factory fuel enrichment adjuster...? If the header is of a good design, you may need +x% fuel to compensate for better exhaust flow.

Controversial, but personally, the 4 into 2 into 1 design of the factory header is better than the 4 into 1 as most aftermarket versions are.

Now, if I was building a 16V S or S2, I might go for the 4 into 1 because the head/cam configuration moves the power band up in the rpms where the 4-1 might have a slight advantage but even still, most all back to back tests should show that moving away from a 4-2-1 header of proper design will show a loss of midrange torque and horsepower for the reward of a couple of "top end" horsepower gain. Your engine needs 4-7000 rpms in the real world, not just the highest HP reading at 7200. We aint racing on the dyno.

Port matching your exhaust and intake is legal and can help with a couple of lost HP as well as paying close attention to whether the header ports even line up 100% with the exhaust ports. You can guarantee alignment by machining (within the legal depth) the cylinder head and the exhaust manifold for an alignment sleeve that will not affect the inside diameter of either once installed.

T
Appreciate the suggestions!
Old 04-06-2017, 10:49 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
Agreed!! The 20min mark in your video makes me sad... I guess I should have slowed earlier and anticipated that both cars were going to wash out to the left? The passing car (orange) is the obvious choice to follow through but it decided to lock up it's brakes, miss a shift and then wash me to the outside curbing. Awesome!!

https://youtu.be/vbZiMvPr9kU?t=20m

Great race regardless and love the right side tires off on top of the hill after the pass. Local knowledge!!
you are my hero dude, 2 off at the bottom of 12. I would have more than one skid mark if you know what I mean.

You guys sure ring the neck of those motors, wow.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:26 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 548 Likes on 289 Posts

So at the risk of being critiqued and criticized for my mediocre driving, here are a couple videos from Group 3, Sprint 1.
Little history: My last full race weekend was here in 2012. Since then, we have been fighting engine build issues which we learned was from total incompetence from our engine builder. Fast forward to 2015 when we decided to bite the bullet and bring it to Dawe's Motorsports and have Peter and Trevor build it...
Now on it's third track weekend with ZERO engine issues, we are VERY happy!!

So in effect, this was like a rookie race weekend. The car is so different then last I raced it. Trevor helped set the car up (it was way out there off) and I finally started getting comfortable with it by the races. I picked up more time in Sprint 2, but video malfunction (user error) means we have no video to show. But the more I watch this video, the more I see all the time I left on the track.... Oh, and the gearing is all wrong so we have that to sort out. But I'm very happy with the fact that, other than a roof flying off (scared the sh#t out of me), Papa Smurf was running perfect at the end of the weekend.

Highlights of my Group 3 Sprint one race until the roof left me:

Fastest lap in Sprint 1

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-07-2017, 01:27 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 548 Likes on 289 Posts

fixed
Old 04-07-2017, 01:53 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

love a nicely setup 914.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:06 PM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
So at the risk of being critiqued and criticized for my mediocre driving, here are a couple videos from Group 3, Sprint 1.
Little history: My last full race weekend was here in 2012. Since then, we have been fighting engine build issues which we learned was from total incompetence from our engine builder. Fast forward to 2015 when we decided to bite the bullet and bring it to Dawe's Motorsports and have Peter and Trevor build it...
Now on it's third track weekend with ZERO engine issues, we are VERY happy!!

So in effect, this was like a rookie race weekend. The car is so different then last I raced it. Trevor helped set the car up (it was way out there off) and I finally started getting comfortable with it by the races. I picked up more time in Sprint 2, but video malfunction (user error) means we have no video to show. But the more I watch this video, the more I see all the time I left on the track.... Oh, and the gearing is all wrong so we have that to sort out. But I'm very happy with the fact that, other than a roof flying off (scared the sh#t out of me), Papa Smurf was running perfect at the end of the weekend.

Highlights of my Group 3 Sprint one race until the roof left me:

https://youtu.be/keGgAowwhYw

Fastest lap in Sprint 1
https://youtu.be/jg1jCviR_Ew

It certainly looked good from trackside.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:24 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

I forgot to call out a special Thanks to Todd Lamb and his Atlanta Speedwerks crew. I needed a M96 water pump gasket. Who carries spares like that? But his chief mechanic just smiled and reached into a box and pulled out a nice new one.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ Brian!

Great guy.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:40 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

We're slowly figuring out what we need for spares on the trailer - Brian is taking the M96 engine class next month so we will be able to rebuild engines at midnight at the track soon
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 04-12-2017, 11:15 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ start looking for an M96 rebuild tool kit
Old 04-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Niels e46 m3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a small snapshot of racing from the weekend...Great racing with Mark through lots of traffic!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

So this was taken at the PCA event @ Road Atlanta running a GTC3 this last month, took me a bit to
put together as the last part will show. Still not right.

But, I digress, this is from all 3 races and being I started in back for 2 races, have some highlights of a few cars I played “camera car for” A big Thanks you to Autometrics & Cup Car Soultions for keeping me on the track. Thank You. If by chance you find your car & it seems your running in front of me, and want some more of it, I have more film if you want it. Just let me know… oh, and yes, remember to check “YOUR ******g mirrors.

Last edited by Jerrygreene; 04-19-2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Very unfortunate.

Please tell me it was deemed a racing incident and you did not get a 13.

We lucked out on the gorgeous weather!

Edit: I was running C4 and saw you in the tires. I am 'not' the driver of the red J class car.

Last edited by RJFabCab; 04-20-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta PCA race