Sponsored by:

Nannies or not? HPDE instructors weigh in

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:21 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Berringer
Omni, mind if I ask what kind of car your buddy was driving?
2014 Cayman S w/PDK and Sports Chrono.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:33 PM
91K-Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grade all the instructors first in a prepped 944, no aids. Then grade the students in one , no aids. Then you can make a decision who can drive or not. Yes, there's details to work out. You find out who has the ability to drive. might hurt some feelings a long the way. back to the race car.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
2014 Cayman S w/PDK and Sports Chrono.
That hits close to home. I was really hoping you were going to say corvette.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:29 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche 2017 Sport Chrono option for 781 & 991.2 cars has a PSM Sport selection, not fully off but not as intrusive as full on. Most noticeable is allows more throttle control when the car gets loose, doesn't deaden the throttle response.

Last edited by chrisc; 04-23-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:13 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,377 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I don't think anyone is advocating taking a noob student out on the track, who you just met that morning, with all the nannies turned off.

The question is this:

Isn't there a point in a driver's development when they benefit from having the nannies turned off?
Old 04-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Luigi
If they are in green and yellow instructed, leave them on. If the nannies kick in, use it as a learning tool and discuss with student why they went on.
If going on a ride-along with a solo driver, and if they have them off and you're comfortable with that, it's your call. You do have to consider their experience level, what safety devices the car has, and the car itself. I don't want to sit in the right seat of a new GT3, RS or Turbo or even a new Carrera S, with lap belts and no nannies when they run out of talent.
And you know, I do get those high HP ride-alongside
Old 04-23-2017, 05:18 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
"Instructor preservation" is not over rated!

When you sit in the right seat of a
green or yellow student that you just met that morning, and they have Carrera S with 420HP, or a GT3 with 450+ HP, or a Turbo S with 550 HP, does anyone who instructs really think that turning off the nannies is a good idea?

Sitting in the right seat, PSM means PORSCHE saves me! Been there, done that.
yes, because half the things im going to teach them after they learn the line, is about car control. the nannies mask almost all things that driving a racecar on the track can do. But, as an instructor you must find a stage to teach these techniques. it requires discipline and agreement with the student to back the speed way off, and teach car control. skid pad is good for basics, but you cant teach the nuances on a skid pad.. that's mainly break-free, and recovery drills.

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I don't think anyone is advocating taking a noob student out on the track, who you just met that morning, with all the nannies turned off.

The question is this:

Isn't there a point in a driver's development when they benefit from having the nannies turned off?
yes, there is.. and its fundamental to development. its after the line and other basics are learned. then, its about controlling the car at and beyond the limit. its not about lap time or straight line speed, its about car control.

Luigi
If they are in green and yellow instructed, leave them on. If the nannies kick in, use it as a learning tool and discuss with student why they went on.
If going on a ride-along with a solo driver, and if they have them off and you're comfortable with that, it's your call. You do have to consider their experience level, what safety devices the car has, and the car itself. I don't want to sit in the right seat of a new GT3, RS or Turbo or even a new Carrera S, with lap belts and no nannies when they run out of talent.
yep, and thats why when they are turned off, its a different set of rules if im going to be in the car. THEN, if they want and i feel they are capable, ill advise them to go out alone and do it themselves........sometimes they do it without me , and invariablly, they talk about the spin they just had on the back side of the track on some hairpin...... cars are so automatic, that folks are not learning the art of driving... all they learn is how to go faster and faster, and i think that is dangerous.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:21 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Luigi
Agreed, and you are a brave man for taking those rides.

However, I think the greater risk is having to wash puke out of a brand new GT4!
Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The "puker" had excellent reflexes and puked in his own helmet. No splatter. However his headset had to be recycled
Old 04-24-2017, 12:07 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

The "puker" had excellent reflexes and puked in his own helmet. No splatter. However his headset had to be recycled
I believe the helmet has now been retired as well!

This is truly the unspoken danger of being an instructor.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Interesting article... Arguably one of the quickest and most talented young drivers in the sport yet never had to learn what many here would refer to as the basics...

https://www.adaptnetwork.com/sports/...-heel-and-toe/
Old 04-24-2017, 02:33 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Interesting article... Arguably one of the quickest and most talented young drivers in the sport yet never had to learn what many here would refer to as the basics...

https://www.adaptnetwork.com/sports/...-heel-and-toe/
Maybe next they could work on BOTS (brake, off, turn, squeeze). Clearly, he could use some coaching, the poor kid!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Maybe next they could work on BOTS (brake, off, turn, squeeze). Clearly, he could use some coaching, the poor kid!
Not eligible for Chin red group if you can't heel toe! Hope he gets over it.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:40 PM
mlct
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts

Well...the helmet came back after a dunking in a big bucket...electronics in a plastic bag. Ask me how I know...

For those who don't know the story I discovered I had some food poisoning while riding along with Qwickrick on an instructor mentoring ride. It has been retired for use by any passengers who need a helmet..."all helmets smell like that"....
Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mlct
Well...the helmet came back after a dunking in a big bucket...electronics in a plastic bag. Ask me how I know...

For those who don't know the story I discovered I had some food poisoning while riding along with Qwickrick on an instructor mentoring ride. It has been retired for use by any passengers who need a helmet..."all helmets smell like that"....
Aww c'mon! No one knew who we were talking about until you outed yourself!

That helmet is going to be an awesome loaner in August when it gets nice and warm.

Quick Reply: Nannies or not? HPDE instructors weigh in