No F1 poll for Spain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No F1 poll for Spain?

I haven't been on the board this season and am surprised to not see an F1 poll for Spain. No more interest?

Anyway I am amazed to see the pace of the Renault in FP2. Maybe the motor is not quite as bad as Red Bull says it is?

My pick is for another win for Vettel. Ferrari's race pace will be able to run down the Mercs at Spain.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:42 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Larry, unfortunately, no one cares about F1 anymore -- despite the fact that the Mercs have serious competition this year. The lack of competition in the last 3 years coupled with the $hit KERS power units, have set F1 back in terms of viewer interest.

With regard to this race, whomever gets the better start will win because this track is difficult to overtake on track at least.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Well I'm more excited about this season than the past few years. But like the past few years, qualifying and the first 3 turns of the race seems to be the most engaging.

I'm not a fan of all the KERS stuff either. I'd love the sport to go 'retro' with high winding motors without the bells and whistles. I think the drivers would need to band together and push for it for this to ever happen. And most of the guys are smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds them.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:07 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Vettel's form in Q3 last stint looked ominous
Old 05-13-2017, 04:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I still watch most of FP2, quali and the races. Racing is better than ever this year with the resurgence of Ferrari and the new cars are "better".

Would love for them to get rid of all the bybrid BS.

Liberty Media, the new F1 owners, say they are committed to increasing the fan experience. Let's give it a shot.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:41 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

^+1 to all
Old 05-13-2017, 07:14 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

What do you mean nobody cares anymore?

I'm watching every session every lap. This has been the best season of the last several. We're about to see the Mercedes dynasty toppled!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

I am still following closely.

To be honest, I think a lot has to do with what TV coverage you can get. In Canada, we are blessed with a hunky Prime Minister and UK Sky Sports coverage.

With Martin Brundle, Damon Hill, Anthony Davidson, Pat Symonds et al, it's REALLY interesting. I'll agree the race itself has its lulls, but the pre-practice/quali/race coverage is detailed, insightful, fantastic. Really, really good.

Season shaping up too with some competition. The current spec cars are fast.

M
Old 05-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

moved
Old 05-15-2017, 02:00 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty of people are still interested in F1, but it was really just one person here who consistently started the polls and I am not sure if he is around much lately hence the reason why we haven't seen any polls this season. Besides we don't actually need a poll to chat about the races.

I would agree with others, so far (knock on wood) the 2017 season has been a good one with the resurgence of Ferrari to challenge the Merc domination. It's just too bad that Red Bull and other teams are still so far behind. Kimi is a fan favorite and at the end of the 2016 season he was very competitive with his German teammate. But so far in 2017 Vettel has had the Finn's number (though Raikkonen's bad luck in yesterday's race was not his doing). The same trend appears to be emerging in the Merc's garage where Hamilton has Bottas's number. Yes Valtteri has won a race, but he has also been hung out to dry by the Merc strategy in more than one race to benefit Hamilton. Basically Bottas's only hope in winning a race is when Hamilton is faltering. Otherwise it's a bend over and spread 'em, put on a big smile and take one for the team scenario. Yes Vettel is the favorite at Ferrari as well, but for the most part Vettel has out performed Raikkonen and this could be Kimi's last year. Who's next at Ferrari? Perez? Someone else?

There is lots of talented young and young'ish drivers on the grid who just don't have the car. Even though I am not particularly fond of Verstappen I do have to acknowledge that he is likely the best of the young drivers though a number of other young'sh guys are turning heads if they only had a better car (Ocon and Wehrlein come to mind) and even though I don't think you can say Perez, Hulkenberg and Sainz are young guys, they are all quality drivers who don't get to win races because they are only driving mid-pack cars. Put them in a better car and you would see better results. But there is one young guy who won't be around long if he doesn't begin showing huge improvements. Massa is obviously ubber experienced, but Lance Stroll is consistently about a half to a full second a lap slower than Massa. Yeah sure Stroll is a son of a billionaire and he brings plenty of much needed money to Williams. But it appears that he was brought into F1 too soon, too fast. But there is no going back to the minor leagues and then being called back up like there is in other sports. In F1 you are given one chance. Blow that chance and you are gone for good.

Oh and I haven't always been an Alonzo fan, but it is sad to see what's been happening to him at McLaren/Honda. Oh how the mighty have fallen so far and so fast. I will be pulling for the Spaniard to do well at Indy, but he is wasting away at McLaren/Honda. I would have loved to see him take Nico's seat, but I guess Lewis nixed that idea.

Last edited by My993C2; 05-15-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Good season so far. I am surprised at how well Force India is doing. Ocon seems like a nice find. Would be wild so see what Alonso would get out of one of the pink cars since he managed qualify 7th in that mess of a car he's stuck with this year.

Did anyone else notice that Hamilton and Vettel lapped everyone except Riccardo and even be was only 14 secs from being lapped.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,886 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Wife and I are enjoying watching this season. Polls have less relevance now because the uncertainty of who will win is higher -- which is a good thing!

It's still much more an engineering competition rather than a driver completion, but at least we do have an actual competition this season.

Too bad Verstappen's car isn't fast enough this season (so far) to pose a real threat, cuz that kid can definitely drive.

Quick Reply: No F1 poll for Spain?