Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This weekend SCCA Race at Laguan Seca 6-4-2017 Still time to enter

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 02:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts
Default This weekend SCCA Race at Laguan Seca 6-4-'17 pics Posted and PCA roll grid video!

It should be a great weekend of racing on June 3-4th. 103db sound and a great field of cars signed up. Several Porsches signed up. (cup and spec 911) so if you want to run Laguna with little restrictions, come on out.
There is even a one race option if you cant race the entire weekend.

sign-ups and info Here:

http://www.sfrscca.org/event/double-...rf-festival-3/

Last edited by mark kibort; 06-04-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Default Helping SCCA drive more attendance - quick question

I have a question for the West Coast Racers.

Everyone loves Laguna. the laguna events for PCA, POC and if NASA comes, are always sold out quick, yet the SCCA weekends which provide some great racing and different marques, which is fun as they are at the same general performance level as most porsches, are not well attended (as they once were back in the early 2000s)

so, my question is this: why dont the west coast porsche racers come to this even and have a race weekend where they could actually dominate the car count, AND its a 3 day weekend of racing at Laguna without the sound hassles that most clubs have to deal with

So what is it? 1 , 2 or 3?? :

1. want to run only with other porsches.. other types of cars, especially 928s , scare me with their engines in the front?
2. we have just enough races with POC and PCA to get my fix
or
3. i like more expensive weekends where the hassle factors are high and like building my own 92 db exhaust system especially for the race weekends i attend.
4. it conflicts with another event that weekend that is better than laguna/ or i need to attend that event due to championship points accumulation.
5. SCCA scares me as they seem to have a lot of crashes (which they dont btw)
Old 06-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,
103db, we're here!!!

HRG/Hergesheimer Motorsports
Old 06-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's a few reasons that come to mind Mark:

Laguna is a very long tow and is usually an expensive weekend. Most So Cal racers are probably only going to make one trip up there per year and that will be with the club they usually race with (more friends, season championship, familiarity, etc). Having to get another race license, club membership, tech inspection, learn classes/rules/officials, etc , just to do a one-off event is kind of a pain in the *** and an additional cost. Maybe this has changed but I remember the SCCA having weird schedules with minimal run-time. Don't you qualify in the morning and race late in the afternoon? I'm not gonna tow 10 hours for 2 sessions a day when I get 4 a day with other clubs. This isn't meant to be a criticism of SCCA, just maybe some reasons why you don't see more Porsche's there.

Anyway I know a few Porsche's made the trip up. Hope you guys have a great weekend up there.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Laura
Pro

The sound limit is a very important factor for us. The 103db works much better for cup cars than 92 - 95db.
Maximize your time by running two run groups.
And the usual POC characters are here !
Old 06-03-2017, 12:40 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark, there are over 50 PCA Club Racers in the PCA run group at this event. Some are also running in the SCCA races.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:32 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

The must have all got my post, just in time! Hahaha!!

I show up and there are 50 porsches .. all the garages are filled .. our group, also filled with a bunch of cup cars! What a great time and some great racing

Then on saturday Morning, probably every single owner of a Pantera in the world... showed up in the paddock for a little car show.

anyway, the race went great. have some good video that ill post later.

Here are some highlight pics:
Attached Images            
Old 06-04-2017, 02:35 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

a few more
Attached Images            
Old 06-04-2017, 02:38 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M
Here's a few reasons that come to mind Mark:

Laguna is a very long tow and is usually an expensive weekend. Most So Cal racers are probably only going to make one trip up there per year and that will be with the club they usually race with (more friends, season championship, familiarity, etc). Having to get another race license, club membership, tech inspection, learn classes/rules/officials, etc , just to do a one-off event is kind of a pain in the *** and an additional cost. Maybe this has changed but I remember the SCCA having weird schedules with minimal run-time. Don't you qualify in the morning and race late in the afternoon? I'm not gonna tow 10 hours for 2 sessions a day when I get 4 a day with other clubs. This isn't meant to be a criticism of SCCA, just maybe some reasons why you don't see more Porsche's there.

Anyway I know a few Porsche's made the trip up. Hope you guys have a great weekend up there.
I totally get it! however, with many of the guys running 2 run groups, you get as much or more track time. its great for SCCA, great for PCA and the porsche guys.. they even let them have longer practice and race durations.

Such a great time. talked a lot with Tom Mueller about his GT3R and his racing experiences. caught up with Rob Todd from BRRacing.. (guys i ran with back we all started racing back wihen BMW/Porsche Challenge was the hot NASA run group!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Default Video of the PCA group going onto the track for their race

Old 06-05-2017, 04:23 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I don't know what Mark is talking about, but Porsche only had 1 run group with a cap of 50 cars. It was sold out a long time ago and there was a wait list in place, so no shortage of demand for the supply. And yes, some guys did run with PCA and SCCA...
Old 06-05-2017, 06:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CFGT3
I don't know what Mark is talking about, but Porsche only had 1 run group with a cap of 50 cars. It was sold out a long time ago and there was a wait list in place, so no shortage of demand for the supply. And yes, some guys did run with PCA and SCCA...
CFGT3, i didnt know about the run group that porsche bought before i got there. very happy to see all my porsche cousins!
There was plenty of room to run with the SCCA group, and actually many of the PCA racers ran with us in the Group 3. in fact, i think our class actually became mostly porsches! a great mix of cars, and some good close safe racing.
However, there was room for 10 to 20 cars more if more wanted to race. in fact, i think the slowest times were in the low 1:40s.. pleny of room for 20 more spec boxsters if they couldnt get into the porsche group!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Laura
Pro

Maybe they had cancellations in the PCA group because I think we didn't decide to go till the Wednesday of the week prior. And then on Friday decided to join the SCCA group. Lots of run time and racing with the nicest people.

Car # 667 Left with a 1st overall SCCA, a 2nd overall SCCA , 2nd overall PCA , 3rd overall PCA and a 4th overall PCA (I think the PCA resuts are right, no race monitor all weekend)

Great weather and lots of track time.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laura
Maybe they had cancellations in the PCA group because I think we didn't decide to go till the Wednesday of the week prior. And then on Friday decided to join the SCCA group. Lots of run time and racing with the nicest people.

Car # 667 Left with a 1st overall SCCA, a 2nd overall SCCA , 2nd overall PCA , 3rd overall PCA and a 4th overall PCA (I think the PCA resuts are right, no race monitor all weekend)

Great weather and lots of track time.
Great to see you out there. Tom is a good guy . enjoyed exchanging stories! I hope this is a regular stop for you guys!
see you down in LA sometime soon!
Mk

Quick Reply: This weekend SCCA Race at Laguan Seca 6-4-2017 Still time to enter