Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:39 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back at HD today - nice balance - 3 wet sessions (1 very) and 3 dry sessions - 9 RSG cars. Without wishing to re-ignite the double apex debate above - what I can say is in the wet its a tip toe either way. Slowest session today in the 44 was consistent 1.35s and like driving on ice - best was consistent mid 18.s. Quite a difference in conditions!

Matt and Chris look like they'll be tough competition in the endurance races coming up - Matt took all of 3 sessions to go sub-20 in an unfamiliar car.

Only 1 air-cooled today - we're missing Herman and his mates...
Old 04-19-2014, 05:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Back at HD today - nice balance - 3 wet sessions (1 very) and 3 dry sessions - 9 RSG cars. Without wishing to re-ignite the double apex debate above - what I can say is in the wet its a tip toe either way. Slowest session today in the 44 was consistent 1.35s and like driving on ice - best was consistent mid 18.s. Quite a difference in conditions! Matt and Chris look like they'll be tough competition in the endurance races coming up - Matt took all of 3 sessions to go sub-20 in an unfamiliar car. Only 1 air-cooled today - we're missing Herman and his mates...

A good day by the sound of it. Were Matt and Chris in the same car? As you probably know, Herman is still in Christchurch with Chris' car. You and Paul were very luck to get the first trip out. Hopefully Herman will be home in the coming week. He needs his struts changed out plus a full going over all rubbers and bushes up front. I'm doing this lot myself so fingers crossed he goes back together correctly.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:36 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM

A good day by the sound of it. Were Matt and Chris in the same car? As you probably know, Herman is still in Christchurch with Chris' car. You and Paul were very luck to get the first trip out. Hopefully Herman will be home in the coming week. He needs his struts changed out plus a full going over all rubbers and bushes up front. I'm doing this lot myself so fingers crossed he goes back together correctly.
Yep - Matt's getting seat time so we can run the 2 cars in the NI endurance series. Planning to do the 3hr races so will be swapping drivers - I get some bloke from Pirongia... Hope he can drive!
Old 04-19-2014, 06:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yep - Matt's getting seat time so we can run the 2 cars in the NI endurance series. Planning to do the 3hr races so will be swapping drivers - I get some bloke from Pirongia... Hope he can drive!
If the man from Pirongia breaks it make him fix it! Sounds like fun, must see if I can watch.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Without wishing to re-ignite the double apex debate above - what I can say is in the wet its a tip toe either way.
I went out with George R in his Boxster race car one day in the wet and asked him about double-apexing that corner. The two comments he made that stick in my mind were: a) there's a lot more rubber laid down on the single apex line, so there's more grip in the wet, and b) when you're racing you need to know both lines, and sometimes choose based on the circumstances (trying to get past someone, trying to prevent someone from getting past etc.)
Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Sounds like fun, must see if I can watch.
Ditto that!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:06 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Back at HD today - nice balance - 3 wet sessions (1 very) and 3 dry sessions - 9 RSG cars. Without wishing to re-ignite the double apex debate above - what I can say is in the wet its a tip toe either way. Slowest session today in the 44 was consistent 1.35s and like driving on ice - best was consistent mid 18.s. Quite a difference in conditions!

Matt and Chris look like they'll be tough competition in the endurance races coming up - Matt took all of 3 sessions to go sub-20 in an unfamiliar car.

Only 1 air-cooled today - we're missing Herman and his mates...
And Matt's time was with me in the car, so probably a low 19 or even a high 18. Matt and I heading out to HD for the day again today, only Matt driving, me no doubt feeling lost not driving, but Matt getting some seat time in the 944.

Seriously thinking about doing the whole endurance series now, all 3 hour races split 50/50 with Matt and I, and we will need a pit crew of up to 7! Same pit crew for both cars, so with Pete and the Pirongia Stig. Led by Dan of course, very keen for an RSG pit crew, so all volunteers welcome. I think I've heard, Chris, John and Michael volunteer so far.

Already looking at track days at Pukekohe on 3 and 31 May to get in some more track time at Pukekohe.

Should be fun.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
And Matt's time was with me in the car, so probably a low 19 or even a high 18. Matt and I heading out to HD for the day again today, only Matt driving, me no doubt feeling lost not driving, but Matt getting some seat time in the 944. Seriously thinking about doing the whole endurance series now, all 3 hour races split 50/50 with Matt and I, and we will need a pit crew of up to 7! Same pit crew for both cars, so with Pete and the Pirongia Stig. Led by Dan of course, very keen for an RSG pit crew, so all volunteers welcome. I think I've heard, Chris, John and Michael volunteer so far. Already looking at track days at Pukekohe on 3 and 31 May to get in some more track time at Pukekohe. Should be fun.
Which days for the racing?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:53 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

7 June is Puke and 26 July is HD.

Remember there is an RSG Playday on the 7th and we need the numbers to break even so don't forego that one.

Chris - feel free to share times from today - and no sandbagging!!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:09 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Ditto that!
And Matt's time was with me in the car, so probably a low 19 or even a high 18. Matt and I heading out to HD for the day again today, only Matt driving, me no doubt feeling lost not driving, but Matt getting some seat time in the 944. Seriously thinking about doing the whole endurance series now, all 3 hour races split 50/50 with Matt and I, and we will need a pit crew of up to 7! Same pit crew for both cars, so with Pete and the Pirongia Stig. Led by Dan of course, very keen for an RSG pit crew, so all volunteers welcome. I think I've heard, Chris, John and Michael volunteer so far. Already looking at track days at Pukekohe on 3 and 31 May to get in some more track time at Pukekohe. Should be fun.
Sounds like fun all-right. Keep us informed and I'll try to get along too. I can clean the windscreens :-)
Old 04-19-2014, 08:16 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

And Matt's time was with me in the car, so probably a low 19 or even a high 18. Matt and I heading out to HD for the day again today, only Matt driving, me no doubt feeling lost not driving, but Matt getting some seat time in the 944.

Seriously thinking about doing the whole endurance series now, all 3 hour races split 50/50 with Matt and I, and we will need a pit crew of up to 7! Same pit crew for both cars, so with Pete and the Pirongia Stig. Led by Dan of course, very keen for an RSG pit crew, so all volunteers welcome. I think I've heard, Chris, John and Michael volunteer so far.

Already looking at track days at Pukekohe on 3 and 31 May to get in some more track time at Pukekohe.

Should be fun.
I am IN!!! I was John McIntyre's team manager for the first season with the Super Tourers so may be able to help out along those lines too.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Currently staying in Russell and early this morning my brother in law and I did the Russell to Oakura run and back in the Boxster. These roads are so made for these cars, short straights, left, right, left, tight corners, up and down. Very enjoyable. The 07 Boxster is so very good in these conditions. However, if I had both cars here I think I'd prefer to take the 964 C2. It's harder work, more effort, great sound, and a more engaging driving experience. Even though the Boxster would beat it hands down with more power, faster cornering, faster gear changes, better brakes etc, it's just too easy to drive it fast and well.

I'm really getting to understand the "benefits" of an old 911 ownership experience and enjoyment.

Next phase.... Tidy up the C2 to make it more suitable for long cruises as well as restrained (9/10ths) track work.

Reinstall the original door cards (reinstate arm rests and more storage). At same time fix annoying speaker rattle.
Fix the cricket squeek in the heater fan unit. Steve has a work-a-round trick to getting some lubrication into the old fan units.
Replace door seals (reduce wind noise)
Redo the exhaust system after blowing the baffles int he secondary muffler on the SITT. Bypass secondary muffler, reinstall original muffler, modify for exit from primary muffler to exhaust tip.
Redo grommets and seals on side sill covers and shark fins.
Replace 2 pot rear rear callipers with 4 pot rear ones that take the same size pads as the front. Gives a greater range of pad choice, less rear pad wear, and more flexibility with cycling fronts to rear etc.
"Kiwi style" remote control of rear shocks rebound adjustment.

Phase 3:
Would like to renew the carpets.... They let the car down internally.
Gold racing stripes, to get that extra 0.5 at HD
Use up the old track tyres and replace with 214's
Harness bar and reinstall existing harness

Anyway... These plans are sure to change as I go along.
Attached Images   
Old 04-19-2014, 10:06 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

7 June is Puke and 26 July is HD.

Remember there is an RSG Playday on the 7th and we need the numbers to break even so don't forego that one.

Chris - feel free to share times from today - and no sandbagging!!
Matt already consistently in mid 1:19's without me in the car. We are both keen, so a plan is coming together to do all 3 endurance races. They are all Saturdays, times not published yet but suspect qualifying in the morning with start early afternoon. Pit crew mainly for driver change and refuel around half way mark, so 90 minutes in. And of course for any issues that cause us to come in, but dont anticipate any of those with a well prepared Porsche .

Race dates are Pukekohe 7 June, Taupo 6 July, Hampton Downs 26 July.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
I am IN!!! I was John McIntyre's team manager for the first season with the Super Tourers so may be able to help out along those lines too.
. Awesome, thanks Doug and Matt. Sounds like Chris, John, Michael, Doug and Matt as potentials, sounds like a fun plan coming together and Matt, definitely keen to learn from your experience, this is all new for me and Matt G.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:45 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

. Awesome, thanks Doug and Matt. Sounds like Chris, John, Michael, Doug and Matt as potentials, sounds like a fun plan coming together and Matt, definitely keen to learn from your experience, this is all new for me and Matt G.
Happy to be the water boy...........

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?