Notices

Thoughts on my new to me 911 vs my old cayman s

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 06:43 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

While I haven't owned a 911, I had the same thoughts on the 911 vs. Cayman as the OP. Three years ago, I finally decided to realize my dream of owning a Porsche and began shopping for a 997.2 base or S model. I was set on a 911, but during my shopping process was convinced to give a 987.2 Cayman S a try while checking out some cars at the dealership. I test drove it and ended up totally smitten with the visceral driving experience. Needless to say, I ended up pulling the trigger on the Cayman.

I still hold the 911 in very high regard and will likely own one someday. That said, I found it muted compared to the Cayman with respect to the overall driving experience. I liked it and it's obviously a very capable car, but the Cayman S just put a smile on my face.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:42 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 198 Posts

Try tracking an air-cooled if you want visceral.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:52 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 295 Posts

seriously? you want visceral. take a 991 to a track and push it to its limits (or to where you feel comfortable) and pull some serious G's. and then tell me you prefer the Cayman S.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:55 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
seriously? you want visceral. take a 991 to a track and push it to its limits (or to where you feel comfortable) and pull some serious G's. and then tell me you prefer the Cayman S.
Yeah... this is kinda the entire point here. He mentioned the track. He mostly drives on the roads.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

I get the OP’s feelings on this subject. I’ve driven a 991S twice in Germany for a total of about 12 day’s through mountains, autobahn’s and cobbled streets.

Its a great car with amazing performance but it’s also a disconnected car from the driver. First off it’s a BIG car compared with previous models. It’s wide a$$ed stance, it’s length, the active controls such as PASM and electric steer etc. My wife took a turn in Austria and her first comment was, ‘Oh this is just like my Cadillac...’. Purists would barf. I knew what she meant - it’s a no drama, easy car to drive. *Anyone* can drive a 991. And that’s the issue. No skill required. You can go 290k on the Autobahn and not die in this car. A 930? 50/50 chance!

Between the weight, size and sound deadening, if you closed your eyes you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between it and driving in a Panamera. (I drove a Pano 4S for a day in Germany as well).

Compared to my 996 that doesn’t have any electronic’s other than ABS, it’s night and day. I can’t even imagine the difference beteeen a 70’s era 911 and today’s computer/electric everything 991/992’s. If I drove my 996 as hard or as fast as I did the 991 in the mountains, I’d be dead.

I met an owner of a 912 from Texas whom was renting a 991 cab to tour the Black Forest. I asked him what he thought of the car. He said it was nice and comfortable and very fast, but felt ‘dead’.

It really is true that it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car fast...
Old 05-04-2018, 11:17 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
Originally Posted by Torontoworker
It really is true that it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car fast...
Can't agree more. More visceral and more feel means you need to be driven a car with far less ability. This is why they have a 991 Touring and 991 GT3 touring. Slap ****ty skinny tires and no aero on the same car and it becomes more fun.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:25 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

I am sure there are a few torsion bar car guys who track their cars just biting their tongue while reading this thread .
Old 05-04-2018, 11:56 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
I get the OP’s feelings on this subject. I’ve driven a 991S twice in Germany for a total of about 12 day’s through mountains, autobahn’s and cobbled streets.

Its a great car with amazing performance but it’s also a disconnected car from the driver.
I also drove the 991 4S /w PDK in Germany. Did 267km/h, it's completely effortless and un-dramatic and I felt like the car's doing all the work.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:30 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

There's a reason I don't own a 991.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:32 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

^You do have a Viper ACR... I'm sure it's a workout to drive it.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:12 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
^You do have a Viper ACR... I'm sure it's a workout to drive it.
I do. It's just great. Biggest failing is that's a smooth surface (ie racetrack) car. A rough, winding country road isn't much fun and you can't explore the aero on the road. It's definitely "visceral" though!
Old 05-04-2018, 05:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
I do. It's just great. Biggest failing is that's a smooth surface (ie racetrack) car. A rough, winding country road isn't much fun and you can't explore the aero on the road. It's definitely "visceral" though!
I remember being at the old track at the airport in Dunnville. a couple of guys brought out Vipers. That is such a tiny track I thought these guys were the best drivers ever, as they managed to keep those monsters actually on the track .
Old 05-04-2018, 10:02 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

I thought about this a bit in planning my car purchases to keep this hobby fun, legal and safe. Here are some of my thoughts:

The better car is the one that makes you feel better and delivers more smiles per unit of time or money. So which car is "better" is very subjective and different cars can be better for different people.

Cayman and Cayman S, at least unmodified, is interesting in a way that it feels unflappable up to 5/10 and then it starts to feel sloppy, like it's getting on the edge. It makes it more "exciting" at lower speeds. But for me it stopped working once I realized it's only 5/10 of what the car can do when it's starts to feel like I'm pushing it and "doing the work". It all was only an illusion of a limit/challenge. So I wanted to go to 6/10 or 7/10, and there it no longer feels that great - too sloppy to enjoy. So I could no longer enjoy 5/10, knowing that it's like bowing with the gutter bumpers raised, and I could not enjoy 6/10 or 7/10, because the car starts to feel noticeably worse than it feels further from the limit. So Cayman just stopped working for me very quickly.

The 991 Carrera feels right all the way to 7/10 and only then progressively starts to get sloppy, like any sports car gets when getting to its true limit. The problem with that is that driving 7/10+ on public roads is rarely prudent and almost never legal, in almost any modern car, definitely so in Carrera or Cayman.
Going with a less capable car was something I considered but quickly realized that it was the same trick as with Cayman - they just feel like they are at the limit, but realistically there is at least 0.2G still there to extract, and going there would be too dangerous on public road and more fun in a more precise car on track. Just try it - give BRZ or MX-5 a good workout on a windy road and then look at G log - how many times do you come to sustaining over 1G all the way through a corner? Likely not once, and that what either of these cars can do EASILY. Why is that the case - because these cars start to feel like you are "doing the work" WAY before any work is done or any significant skill is required. And they are still more capable than can be safely exploited on public roads.

My solution was to find enjoyment elsewhere. On the road I find enjoyment in precision, connection with the car and other things that make the limit or car capability irrelevant. Think dancing rather than walking a tight rope. More precise, better executed car is more rewarding for that purpose, so Cayman and Carrera would both be very good cars for that. I also enjoy an occasional (brief) rush of acceleration or a tiny powerslide, which again does not require getting close to the limit or endangering anyone. For everything else - car control, finding and straddling the limit of adhesion, etc. there is track. And there a Carrera would be better, in my opinion. But just minor mods to Cayman can make it even better than stock Carrera, and a dedicated track car would beat both, so it's a different story.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:01 PM
terene
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

. You have answered your own question , I have owned both cars, a 2015 Cayman S and a 991-1. One is a great touring car and the other is a great car for buzzing around the back roads. My wife likes the 991 better do to the larger interior and accessibility of rear seat. Coats, packages etc. (happy wife thing) . I have to admit I like the 991 better on longer trips. Cayman was a lot of fun to drive but you will probably keep your license longer with the 991.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:34 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

If you pulled out a crystal ball 6mos ago and showed me what my garage would look like I’d have called you a liar.

Even a couple months ago I told people I’d never own a non911 Porsche as my primary car. Fast forward to today - GT4 - and it’s for many of the same reasons mentioned here.

Right size
visceral
not the worlds greatest engine but you’re leaning right up against it!
buckets
connection

its a not-super-powerful but still great car. But as far as connection to the driver, it’s the greatest modern car I was able to find, so I bought it. I understand where the OP is coming from.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my new to me 911 vs my old cayman s