Notices

Out of control gas prices!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 03:21 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
300km north of Kingston as the crow flies.
That’s funny. It looks like a boat launch about 150km north of Kingston.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:31 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by YYZGT3
Trudeau has already stated that ICE vehicles will not be able to be sold new past a certain point. That's part of the reason that auto makers are planning to stop producing in the coming years. You're going to lose this war, bro.
Not gonna happen. EVs cannot do eveyrhing ICE can do. They do make sense for certain applications at present.

Besides, the electrical grid in many neighborhoods cannot support more than a few electric cars charging. Most older homes have 100A service. 200A minimum will be required.
Let alone condo/apartment buildings and on street parking. Now add deficient generating capacity.

No charging spots and a strained electrical grid. Welcome to the electric vehicle boom.

https://www.macleans.ca/society/technology/no-charging-spots-and-a-strained-electrical-grid-welcome-to-the-electric-vehicle-boom/
The following 2 users liked this post by Crazy Canuck:
997turbocab (01-25-2022), RealityGT (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 04:24 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Not gonna happen. EVs cannot do eveyrhing ICE can do. They do make sense for certain applications at present.
Another factor will be remote communities. Last Fall, we roadtripped from Ottawa in our Macan and got as far west as Revelstoke (10,000 km return). There were times in Northern Ontario (eg. Hearst to Thunder Bay) when it was 250 km to the next gas station. And that was a major highway (hwy 11)! It's going to take a long long time to bring charging infrastructure to places like that.
The following 3 users liked this post by JonCanadian:
Crazy Canuck (01-24-2022), MKC91 (01-25-2022), RealityGT (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 07:07 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 725 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCanadian
Another factor will be remote communities. Last Fall, we roadtripped from Ottawa in our Macan and got as far west as Revelstoke (10,000 km return). There were times in Northern Ontario (eg. Hearst to Thunder Bay) when it was 250 km to the next gas station. And that was a major highway (hwy 11)! It's going to take a long long time to bring charging infrastructure to places like that.
Lol, my first posting of my current gig 25 years ago was in SK. I can't even spell in anymore. Outside of the major towns, try leaving home without a full tank of gas in the winter.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:13 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Trudeau has already stated that ICE vehicles will not be able to be sold new past a certain point. That's part of the reason that auto makers are planning to stop producing in the coming years. You're going to lose this war, bro.
There is so much work to do before the fleet fully transitions to EV. Leave aside price and range, what about urban dwellers? Here in the suburbs of Lawrence Park the street parking is full because many people don’t have garages or front yard parking. That’s the same in most cities in the world. How does any one using on-street parking charge the EV?

They’ll have to lower the recharge time for an EV to the same as the fuel up time as an ICE, and it doesn’t seem like that’s on the horizon.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:25 PM
YYZGT3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCanadian
I don't know what to tell you. With Europe, Canada, and the US all banning new ICE cars, even if the Conservatives one day gets into power (lol!), there just won't be any ICE vehicles produced before long. They're being phased out of their upcoming released schedule, planned five to ten years in advance, as we speak. There is federal dollars for superchargers, and I know the government is planning to put them everywhere on well travelled routes across Canada soon.

For those off the beaten path, well, they'd better take great care of their current car, because it likely won't be replaceable with another ICE vehicle. I suspect they will move to a city.

Last edited by YYZGT3; 01-24-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:27 PM
YYZGT3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Anakin Skywalker
There is so much work to do before the fleet fully transitions to EV. Leave aside price and range, what about urban dwellers? Here in the suburbs of Lawrence Park the street parking is full because many people don’t have garages or front yard parking. That’s the same in most cities in the world. How does any one using on-street parking charge the EV?

They’ll have to lower the recharge time for an EV to the same as the fuel up time as an ICE, and it doesn’t seem like that’s on the horizon.
There are definitely challenges, but the federal government has a blank check from voters to spend what they need to, in order to end gas engines. I've heard rumours of a $25K federal EV credit coming, which will stack with provincial ones.

""The vast majority of vehicles purchased today are SUVs and pickup trucks, and while (zero-emission vehicle) options are becoming available for these segments, many of these will be priced out of the current iZEV program," Alghabra said in a written statement issued by his office.

It also omits used vehicles, for which there is an emerging market.

"That’s why our government is looking at how the program may be revised to better align with current consumer preferences," Alghabra said."

https://ottawa.citynews.ca/national-...ickups-4854636

Last edited by YYZGT3; 01-24-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:34 PM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Anakin Skywalker

I don't disagree with your general sentiments, but regarding the location you mentioned, I can tell you that between Lawrence and Blythwood, everyone has a private drive.

30 Years ago, I lived north of Lawrence and I'm not aware of any house there that does not have the capability of front yard parking. At that time, the city frowned on front yard parking, but I think if the demand is there for charging electric vehicles, it will become easier or even desirable.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:54 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,206 Likes on 727 Posts

The roads are too congested as is, hopefully gas prices get to the point where the lower classes will have to ditch their sh*boxes and walk/cycle.

Good for the environment and our healthcare system.

Don't forget people, driving is a privilege not a right...
The following 2 users liked this post by .2PDK:
997turbocab (01-25-2022), Jamie140 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 11:08 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 295 Posts

And there was a time when I disagreed with everything you said...
Old 01-24-2022, 11:38 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm looking at a EV as my next vehicle....

You have to remember for most home owners *outside of 'downtown' Toronto*, every day that you sleep at home, you can start the next day with a tank that is 80% full.. Heading to the cottage for the weekend? Set it to top off to 100% the night before. I can wire up a 240v outlet at the cottage for the charging for the ride home..

I have a garage and 200amp service to my house. I do need to add a subpanel, cause the current one is full. The main panel to the garage is about 8'.

I plan to maybe need a DC fast charger once a month if that. Apparently some vehicles can get 80% charge in 30 minutes.... Probably can get 100+km range at 10 minutes....

Last edited by petee_c; 01-24-2022 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:52 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

30 Years ago, I lived north of Lawrence and I'm not aware of any house there that does not have the capability of front yard parking. At that time, the city frowned on front yard parking, but I think if the demand is there for charging electric vehicles, it will become easier or even desirable.[/QUOTE]

North of Lawrence between Avenue and Yonge driveways are rare, at best you'd squeeze a Smart car between the sidewalk and front door.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:59 AM
reacp911
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 9964runner
North of Lawrence between Avenue and Yonge driveways are rare, at best you'd squeeze a Smart car between the sidewalk and front door.
I lived east of yonge, but name a street. Also, many of these houses are now being rebuilt, either with builtin garages, or more room in front

Last edited by reacp911; 01-25-2022 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:30 AM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Originally Posted by reacp911
I don't disagree with your general sentiments, but regarding the location you mentioned, I can tell you that between Lawrence and Blythwood, everyone has a private drive.

30 Years ago, I lived north of Lawrence and I'm not aware of any house there that does not have the capability of front yard parking. At that time, the city frowned on front yard parking, but I think if the demand is there for charging electric vehicles, it will become easier or even desirable.
Installing electric chargers for on street parking south of Eglinton is, I’m going to guess, something into 9 digits. I’m all in favour of EVs but good luck with the infrastructure. And it’s not just Toronto, which is a comparatively wealthy city. It’s the rest of the cities in the world you’ve got to wire up with high amperage too.

Raising the cost of a litre of gas is a much easier way of changing wasteful, polluting, behaviour on the roads. People will gravitate to EVs if they are cheaper than ICE and they’ll live accordingly.

It will take a long time to alter the ICE fleet.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:38 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Pandering to his fellow communists. Doesn't matter what he or anyone else says. Simply is not feasible.

Quick Reply: Out of control gas prices!